Official 2012 Wine and Dine ½ Marathon Thread

No 2BR availability for BW as of yesterday, only 1BR. Taxis will be available until the end of the party so it should be easy to get back. One thing to keep in mind, if you are grabbing a taxi, it will likely be shorter to walk to BC and grab a taxi from there if you are back in the world showcase area. Otherwise you will have to walk out to the bus stops in front of Epcot.

I don't think that there will be a huge difference between the other DVC resorts. I believe OKW would be the closest followed by SSR, AKV with VWL and BLT being the furthest away. I don't think it will make much difference in time or taxi fair the evening of the race. If you don't get BWV or BCV, then I wouldn't make your choice on proximity to the Epcot due to the race. Instead pick which resort you will enjoy and will work with the remainder of your trip. Disney wants non resort guests to make there way to Epcot and they provide shuttles to the race start from there.

So if I understand correctly, we can get transportation to Epcot and then pickup a bus to the start from there?

Thank you so much for the information.

So if I understand correctly, we can get transportation to Epcot and then pickup a bus to the start from there?

Thank you so much for the information.

Yes. Just as if you were driving your own vehicle to the event.

I'm bummed to hear that BWV studios are already gone (I know we can try to wait list but I won't hold my breath). I was able to snag one for last year's W&D at the 7-month window. After our horrid transportation experience at CBR during Food & Wine 2010, DH swore we'd only stay at an Epcot walking distance resort in the future. Perhaps we'll try to rent out some DVC points to help fund a regular room at the BW, YC or BC. Or maybe try the Swolphin. Or just forget about the walking distance thing and stay at our much beloved AKV.

The price for the race does seem a bit steep - but I think it's for two reasons. The obvious one is that people will pay it. The second reason is that this race costs more for Disney than others. While I don't know that for a fact, my techie DH insists that all the generators and night-time lighting, plus the after party, make for a higher price tag. I do hope that our increased race fees go towards a little more on course entertainment and a less crappy beverage at the end. I was quite happy with the $10 gift card, but find Bud undrinkable. I also hope that we'll have the choice between a men's and women's shirt. The cut of the shirt last year was so uncomfortable for me that I never wear it.

Still I enjoy a nighttime race and hope I am able to overcome my injuries, so I improve my time and get to enjoy more of the after party! :woohoo:

Adding myself to this thread! Can't wait for registration to open...it'll be my first 1/2!

I booked Beach Club last night, since I may be on my own and would like to be able to walk back after the race. Looking forward to registration next month!
Happy Running, Pam

We booked the AKV for the first part of the week and will switch over to the Swan for Fri/Sat night. I am hoping the BC/BW price will be close (since I have to add in transportation back to MCO) so we could switch over and not go too much over budget.

Is everyone booking hotels when they pay for registration? Or are you doing it separately?

I booked already.....Caribbean Beach (moderate).....

I would rather change it later than wait to long an have no choices....also, I have never stayed at CBR....any opinions? It HAS to be quieter than AS Sports!

Hello all! :wave2: Subscribing to this thread since I am seriously trying to figure out a way to do this and get my C2C this year. Nice to see so many of the Tinker Bell Half folks here. :tink:

I'm definitely doing the Donald in January 2013 and reserved my room at VGC for the 2013 Tinker Bell Half in case I somehow stumble upon some pixiedust: and could manage to pull that one off. Gotta have a "plan B." :thumbsup2 I have the time off and the DVC points but the airfare is a killer. :faint:

None of my home resorts are host resorts so I will book VWL and try to switch later, if I can. There are so many other things to think about that resort location is not the biggest problem now. :rotfl:

I'm trying not to get too excited since I'm a maybe but who the heck am I kidding? I'm excited! :jumping1:

Running this my second year in a row!

OP may want to update the title and the original post - the W&D relay portion has been cancelled.

I booked already.....Caribbean Beach (moderate).....

I would rather change it later than wait to long an have no choices....also, I have never stayed at CBR....any opinions? It HAS to be quieter than AS Sports!

It is a nice resort and has a great pool for children. If you are not staying in a preferred room, I would request Jamaica building 45 or 44. There is a quiet pool next to 44, it is close to a bus stop and is across the bridge to the feature pool and centertown for the food court.

It is the largest resort by number of rooms so you can do some walking to get around. This will not come in handy for this trip, but I found it is a nice resort to take a run. The lap around the center lake is a little over a mile.

I booked at POFQ since it was a host resort last year. Oh well, looks like I'll be changing my reservations to CBR, time to read up on that resort now. It will be fun to do some research on that resort!

Went ahead and changed my reservation from POR to CBR. Thought that it would be easier than trying to find an alternate way of getting to the events.

From past experience, does anyone happen to know what kind of room discount (if any) you get over regular rates by calling the WDW-IRUN number tomorrow?

If we went ahead and booked with whatever rate they give us and a better general public discount came out later, would we have any issue getting that rate applied instead?

I am also wondering if you need to book a full package with park tickets and/or dining plan to get any discount. At this point, I only need the room because we have not yet determined if we want the dining plan or want to tour any parks while we are there.

From past experience, does anyone happen to know what kind of room discount (if any) you get over regular rates by calling the WDW-IRUN number tomorrow?

If we went ahead and booked with whatever rate they give us and a better general public discount came out later, would we have any issue getting that rate applied instead?

I am also wondering if you need to book a full package with park tickets and/or dining plan to get any discount. At this point, I only need the room because we have not yet determined if we want the dining plan or want to tour any parks while we are there.

I've never applied a general public code to a RunDisney ressie, but I have canceled and just booked under the regular code.

The only problem I've found with the RunDisney reservations is that you CAN do a room-only reservation, but they will only do it as a package (they add a free round of mini-golf or something)... which means that you have the 'package' rules for down-payment ($200 instead of just 1 night) and the package rules for cancellation (which I think, IIRC, that the regular room-only ressies can be cancelled up until very close to the stay date). I was a bit disappointed in that.

Subbing:surfweb:, this race has gone from a wish list this year to a definate maybe after talking it over with DH. :sad2: that POR is not a host hotel since it was for the Princess and we loved it but being a night race it may not matter to much logistics wise- hubby may drive down late Saturday to see me race in which case will have our own transport back:banana:

I am so ready for "noon" (9am here!) :cool1: What do you guys think - is it better to register on your own or through the travel site? I might not have a choice since we only need a room on the 10th...

I am so ready for "noon" (9am here!) :cool1: What do you guys think - is it better to register on your own or through the travel site? I might not have a choice since we only need a room on the 10th...

On your own. The only reason I would go through the Travel Sponsor is if registration sold out. In order to receive one of their slots is a multi-night reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter