OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

Really excited with my corral placement for the Half, I'm in H! I worked really hard to train well for the qualifying time I sent in earlier this year. Unfortunately, my sister is in P since she sent in no POT. How are the corrals staggered? 3 minutes? 5 minutes? Just trying to figure out how much of a head start I'll have. As much as I love my sis, I am too proud of my corral placement to move all the way at the back with her!

I would guess 30-45 minutes. Between the 3-5 minutes between corrals, you have the actual time of the runners from each corral moving across the starting line. She's 8 corrals back of you. You could compromise I suppose and start in J, K or M to reduce the time if you wanted to give her a better chance to catch up.

Water over the head is the best, best feeling. And remember sunscreen!!!

If you don't mind running with something in your hand, keep the sponges they hand out (I think it was as we were entering WWoS last year) and continue to soak it at each successive water station. But I'm really hoping for cooler weather than last year, as this year's training runs have been in teen's and 20's for temps.

So checked into upgrading rooms and all rooms are sold out. Is this typical for marathon week? Read parks are generally not too busy but with full resorts, wondering if this year may be different.

If you don't mind running with something in your hand, keep the sponges they hand out (I think it was as we were entering WWoS last year) and continue to soak it at each successive water station. But I'm really hoping for cooler weather than last year, as this year's training runs have been in teen's and 20's for temps.

Yes! Keep your sponge. I shoved mine down my bra last year and kept resoaking it. Or if you are wearing a hat, soak the sponge, wipe your face off, put it on top of your head, then put your hat over it. Ahhh cool. I don't remember if they had ice at any of the stations, but ice on top works very nicely too.

So checked into upgrading rooms and all rooms are sold out. Is this typical for marathon week? Read parks are generally not too busy but with full resorts, wondering if this year may be different.

I only checked a couple, but I found rooms available at Port Orleans and Old Key West for 1/8-13. Even if every room on property were sold out, it wouldn't have a huge impact on crowds at the parks. Occupancy is usually between 85-90%, so filling the remaining 10-15% of the 30,000 onsite hotel rooms wouldn't be a meaningful increase across four parks.

DoctorK, something is wrong with your countdown in your signature. I wish it was that long until Dopey.

a warning for the water dumpers:
Water on your head and body feels good in the heat.
Water in your SHOES can lead to blisters. So try to be a little careful how you dump your water.

And...good idea to keep a sponge. They will run out later in the race.

Anybody going crazy looking at the weather forecasts hoping for some decent weather on race day.I put up a post after confusing this weeks forecast with next week and seeing a low of 31 on Monday thinking we might have a cold weather race,I quickly realized I looked at the wrong week and instead see a high of 78 with a low of 57 for race day but at least the rain chance is showing 10%.

Anybody going crazy looking at the weather forecasts hoping for some decent weather on race day.I put up a post after confusing this weeks forecast with next week and seeing a low of 31 on Monday thinking we might have a cold weather race,I quickly realized I looked at the wrong week and instead see a high of 78 with a low of 57 for race day but at least the rain chance is showing 10%.
The temps have seemed fairly constant, the rain is going back and forth. I'm just holding off much thinking until Wed when I'll start to pack for my Fri departure. I've been doing a lot running in the30's and 40's. 60's to 70's is going to be hot. Owell, the rest of my vacation will be warm :-).

Also, to find race start temps you have to look at the Saturday night overnight forecast, which I am seeing as 62. Bleh.

Hello Marathoners!

A long time WISHer popping in (and not reading the thread, so sorry if this has already been mentioned) to say that a small group of WISHers, including myself, will be on hand Sunday to scream-team at Wide World of Sports--somewhere in the 19-20 mile point.

We will have oranges and cold washcloths and cow bells and pixie dust to help you finish the race. We'll try to make our WISH presence obvious--signs or shouting or whatever, although we are an "equal opportunity scream team" and will help Anyone who needs it.

So if you see a crazy group of people--one may have a green wig-that would be us. Please stop if you need a pick-me-up, or a hug (we are not averse to sweat!). We have all done this race before (most of us as recently as last year) and know the final stretches can be tough.

Good luck, and may the temperatures moderate!

Maura

PS There will also be another group of WISHers outside of DHS with even more goodies.

Hello Marathoners! A long time WISHer popping in (and not reading the thread, so sorry if this has laready been mentioned) to say that I will be on hand to scream-team for you, along with a small group of others at Wide World of Sports--somewhere in the 19-20 mile point. We will have oranges and cold washcloths and cow bells and pixie dust to help you finish the race. We'll try to make our WISH presence obvious--signs or shouting or whatever, although we are an "equal opportunity scream team" and will help Anyone who needs it. So if you see a crazy group of people--one may have a green wig-that would be us. Please stop if you need a pick-me-up, or a hug (we are not averse to sweat!). We have all done this race before (most of us as recently as last year) and know the final stretches can be tough. Good luck, and may the temperatures moderate! Maura
:-)

Hello Marathoners! A long time WISHer popping in (and not reading the thread, so sorry if this has already been mentioned) to say that a small group of WISHers, including myself, will be on hand Sunday to scream-team at Wide World of Sports--somewhere in the 19-20 mile point. We will have oranges and cold washcloths and cow bells and pixie dust to help you finish the race. We'll try to make our WISH presence obvious--signs or shouting or whatever, although we are an "equal opportunity scream team" and will help Anyone who needs it. So if you see a crazy group of people--one may have a green wig-that would be us. Please stop if you need a pick-me-up, or a hug (we are not averse to sweat!). We have all done this race before (most of us as recently as last year) and know the final stretches can be tough. Good luck, and may the temperatures moderate! Maura PS There will also be another group of WISHers outside of DHS with even more goodies.

Thanks!!! I will be looking for you. :)

Hello Marathoners!

A long time WISHer popping in (and not reading the thread, so sorry if this has already been mentioned) to say that a small group of WISHers, including myself, will be on hand Sunday to scream-team at Wide World of Sports--somewhere in the 19-20 mile point.

we are an "equal opportunity scream team" and will help Anyone who needs it.

PS There will also be another group of WISHers outside of DHS with even more goodies.

Thanks! speaking for myself, my first full marathon, and Goofy, I'll be looking forward to seeing you and getting a boost of energy from you. :) :thumbsup2

Hello Marathoners!

We will have oranges and cold washcloths and cow bells and pixie dust to help you finish the race. We'll try to make our WISH presence obvious--signs or shouting or whatever, although we are an "equal opportunity scream team" and will help Anyone who needs it.

So if you see a crazy group of people--one may have a green wig-that would be us. Please stop if you need a pick-me-up, or a hug (we are not averse to sweat!). We have all done this race before (most of us as recently as last year) and know the final stretches can be tough.

Maura

:worship: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :worship:

Hello Marathoners!

Maura

Thank you! I'm certain I'll need a friendly face there!

For those of you with kids doing races- I have a (probably) stupid question... the track at WWoS, is it where the kids do the Mickey mile? Is it a 1 mile track?

For those of you with kids doing races- I have a (probably) stupid question... the track at WWoS, is it where the kids do the Mickey mile? Is it a 1 mile track?

The Mickey Mile finishes on the track, but mostly is run through the WWoS compound. The shorter kid's races are on the track, which is a standard 1/4 mile or 400m.

Here's a link to the event program. Check out page 30.

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/wdw-marathon/2014/Marathon14_Prgm_Online.pdf

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter