• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Official" 2018 Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - Holiday Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
We booked Tony’s Most Merriest tonight and they aren’t sold out, but she said they have 232 booked for tonight. Makes me wonder what the magic number is for sold out.
The magic number could very well be the capacity of Tony’s......

Question about the castle lighting:

The brochure shows only 8:15 but touring plans has it at 6:15 and 8:15.

Which is correct?

This is what page 1 says (8:15 in one place and two times below that).

"A Frozen Holiday Wish
Queen Elsa, Anna, Olaf and Kristoff from Frozen appears twice each evening to get the Castle Dream Lights lit up for the night in a 7 minute show.
Times: 8:15pm
Dates: November 4 - December 31, 2018 (Nightly).
The first show (for MVMCP) is at 6:10pm on November 8th to kick off the start of Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party & the Holiday Season. On MVMCP nights, the show occurs twice nightly. On regular Magic Kingdom days, the show occurs once nightly @ 6:15pm."

Just trying to plan. Thanks!

6:15pm isn't actual party time, but wanted to notate that it did occur @ 6:15pm as well. Day guests will be present at 6:15pm.

Interesting. Character waits looking smaller than what I was expecting. It'll be interesting to see what tonights sold out is like since this one won't be full of disney vloggers.
Anyone know if there is actually a noticable difference between sold outs and normal parties regarding holding spots for shows, parades etc.

Depends on POV, I don't think so. Still need to arrive early for prime spot.
We got to a spot ~7:50pm for 8:30pm parade which wouldn't get to Main St. until 8:55pm, but wanted to see Kringle Krew. As mentioned in party review post, it was already 2-3 rows, 4 in some areas and people with full size blankets holding "area" and at 10:45pm 3-4 rows deep as well. So not sure what time they arrived to get these spots, so still need to arrive early if trying to get curb or row 2 on any night, especially on a sold out night .

Last edited:

Just getting home from the party now. It was crowded and now I know why - it was sold out. I remember sold out parties from a few years ago, and they were never as packed as this. When you still have wait times in the 50s and 60s for some rides that we used to be able to get on in 20 minutes tops during party time, it’s no longer an exclusive event.

Similarly, I booked Tony’s merriest, which didn’t work out well for us. The food was pretty abysmal, which I knew going in. But that’s not why I booked it. The viewing area in front of the tree of course was the reason. But there was no way everyone at the party could fit in front. They could have given everyone in the party access to a pretty good castle view if they hadn’t allowed the crowds to walk through the center of the square and made that a viewing area as well. Instead, in order for my small son to see the parade at all, we had to go on the other side of the square towards the train station. People who didn’t pay for a prime view got a better view than we did, simply because they managed to get into the middle of the square right as the parade was coming into view. I’m planning on complaining first thing in the morning. It’s really unconscionable with the amount of money people pay.

The good: the sugar cookies, molasses cookies and chocolate peppermint cookies. The decorations. The fireworks are spectacular. The parade is cute. But otherwise, I’m beginning to question the value of the special ticket events for my family. They are feeling less and less special because they are getting so crowded. It makes it harder to maneuver around the park and I feel like we didn’t accomplish any more than we did just the other day during a level ten crowd. Kind of bummed.
Agree! We were there last night as well. Here's the truth...what everyone is saying about them selling more tickets now is true. Obviously way more crowded than it ever use to be. I knew that going in so wasn't shocked. But yes, it was wall to wall. Did we still have fun? Yes. We enjoyed the treats, the festive atmosphere, parade, fireworks, some rides with lower waits. But we are really ride people, and everything wasn't walk on like it use to be. Some rides stayed fairly high until after 11. So next trip we may skip it. I wouldn't feel like I was missing anything by not going and that is sad. They have capped the attendance on parties way to high for it to be perfectly enjoyable for my family. It's still fun, but it's just not like it use to be. Very glad we have DAH tonight at MK to give us a calmer experience!

Thanks for the validation. I woke up this morning thinking my observations might have been too harsh as I was writing it at 2am, lol. But I’m still left feeling bummed, and it bums me out even more to feel like that at Disney, which used to make us feel very satisfied every time.

I spoke to another person at Tony’s last night who said that viewing area is able to hold 400 people. I’m guessing that’s the sold out number.

After going last last night, I can honestly say I will not do it again. At 232 people, it felt crowded. To get the spot under the tree/near it. You had to sit there and hold it for awhile. For the cost of it, it wouldn’t be worth it to us to ever try it again.

Agree! We were there last night as well. Here's the truth...what everyone is saying about them selling more tickets now is true. Obviously way more crowded than it ever use to be. I knew that going in so wasn't shocked. But yes, it was wall to wall. Did we still have fun? Yes. We enjoyed the treats, the festive atmosphere, parade, fireworks, some rides with lower waits. But we are really ride people, and everything wasn't walk on like it use to be. Some rides stayed fairly high until after 11. So next trip we may skip it. I wouldn't feel like I was missing anything by not going and that is sad. They have capped the attendance on parties way to high for it to be perfectly enjoyable for my family. It's still fun, but it's just not like it use to be. Very glad we have DAH tonight at MK to give us a calmer experience!
This makes me very sad. I've been trying to get into this party for years, and finally have tickets only to find it's most likely going to be packed. (It's really the rides, parade and fireworks we want too)

So I wonder how many of the folks attending MVMCP are doing so simply because Disney has chopped extra magic hours. Their choices become to either wait for that once per week EMH, buy into the 3 hour event for more money than the party with fewer hours, or buy party tickets. I really feel Disney has allowed someone slimy marketing person to slip into their organization to even suggest what they've done here, and they bought it. The reality of it is that's just the way they are now: reduce and increase ... repeat.

Am I right in thinking that if you are sitting on the edge of the sidewalks then no one can get in front of you during the parade?

Am I right in thinking that if you are sitting on the edge of the sidewalks then no one can get in front of you during the parade?
Usually.
There are some areas where the tape will not match up with the curbs, such as at corners.
Also, there will always be that group that comes up at the last moment and thinks they can sneak a few folk in front as they are shorter, it is their first time, this is THEIR vacation ... the entitlement list goes on and on. If you encounter these folk, I suggest simply pointing out that you've been waiting in this spot for X amount of time, and you saw good openings further down (wink)

We went for our first time last night and had a wonderful time. Yes, it was an exclusive event with thousands of our closest friends, but we went with a patient, can-do attitude and had a blast. Our objective was to see shows, eat and drink goodies, and be festive. We did not go on any rides, but planned where to be at what time to get the best spots we could for shows, fireworks, and parades. Do not fret, plan and enjoy.

We went for our first time last night and had a wonderful time. Yes, it was an exclusive event with thousands of our closest friends, but we went with a patient, can-do attitude and had a blast. Our objective was to see shows, eat and drink goodies, and be festive. We did not go on any rides, but planned where to be at what time to get the best spots we could for shows, fireworks, and parades. Do not fret, plan and enjoy.
What spot did you use for shows, fireworks and parades? I'm looking for recommandation ! :)

I just read the responses about the grassy area in front of Casey's being roped off.

I'll be traveling with a family member who I swore I would never watch the fireworks with again (without the dessert party that is) because he throws adult temper tantrums if people stand in front of him or block his view. Totally ruined me on traveling with him for a while, but here I am, going to WDW with him again. :confused3

I was hopeful for Holiday Wishes because I had the Casey's grass up my sleeve this time around.

So... for a first timer at MVMCP, could anyone offer me a solid back up so I can thwart the adult temper tantrum? No tantrums at Disney, right?!

I would try to get a spot just behind a planter in the hub? That way you have a big gap between yourself and the next people. We did that for one of the Hocus Pocus shows during MNSSHP and it was great! All shoulder kids were far enough away that it didn't impact our view at all!

What spot did you use for shows, fireworks and parades? I'm looking for recommandation ! :)
Except for the 2 shows in Tomorrow Land, we were just across the street in front of the castle. What you will miss is the snow on main street during the parade. However, it was still snowing as we walked out at the end of the night. Plus, it snows at the end of the show in front of the castle. The one production show in Tomorrow Land was more for children of all ages (we are kids at heart), and a great group called the Edge Effect singing Christmas music with no music.

So I am doing Tony's on the 7th (a Friday). Despite lukewarm reviews on here, I'm going to stick with it - I'm actually doing 2 MVMCP's, the 6th and the 7th (I'm a solo traveler, so the $$ isn't as painful as if I were travelling with family). I have a parade mat I will use during the parades/shows (it's small, just a small piece of waterproof material made for people going hiking - I haven't gotten one from Asia yet). Do you think after fireworks I can stake out a decent curb spot, wait until the major street crowds start to dissipate, make sure the CMs know I am attending Tony's, and leave my backpack and the parade blanket there while I run in to grab some snacks? I'd probably come and go, so I wouldn't leave it unattended for too long (and I'd take any wallet, etc with me).

So I am doing Tony's on the 7th (a Friday). Despite lukewarm reviews on here, I'm going to stick with it - I'm actually doing 2 MVMCP's, the 6th and the 7th (I'm a solo traveler, so the $$ isn't as painful as if I were travelling with family). I have a parade mat I will use during the parades/shows (it's small, just a small piece of waterproof material made for people going hiking - I haven't gotten one from Asia yet). Do you think after fireworks I can stake out a decent curb spot, wait until the major street crowds start to dissipate, make sure the CMs know I am attending Tony's, and leave my backpack and the parade blanket there while I run in to grab some snacks? I'd probably come and go, so I wouldn't leave it unattended for too long (and I'd take any wallet, etc with me).
Any chance you’re doing Jingle Bell Jingle Bam as well? I’m doing that solo on 12/8.

Just want to double check about fastpass for party. If I am only going to party I can’t do fastpasses from 4-7 correct?

Just want to double check about fastpass for party. If I am only going to party I can’t do fastpasses from 4-7 correct?
See post 1. You can make 3 fastpasses with windows from 3:30-4:30, 4:30-5:30 and 5:30-6. FP are not available after 6pm. There is some risk of scheduling fastpasses. Some people have had the last day of their fastpasses canceled later on because the system thought they had more days booked than the length of their ticket. If you do make fastpasses, do it after you schedule magic express. That has seemed to be the trigger for some people to have fp cancelled.

Any chance you’re doing Jingle Bell Jingle Bam as well? I’m doing that solo on 12/8.
Yes, but I’m doing it on the 3rd! My Epcot and DHS days are when I’m staying at Boardwalk and I’m focusing on MK when I’m staying at Copper Creek!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter