• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

Lot of good info in the thread. Thanks. Does anyone know if there is an elevation map for the HM? I saw the course map but did not see anything else. Thanks!
It's pretty flat. There is an incline hwy 'hill' on Osceola after Animal Kingdom, an onramp that's kind of long on your way to Studios, a pretty steep 'hill' as you enter Studios backstage & then the 'hills' around World Showcase. The thing that gets me more than the 'hills' is the banking of the roads as then you run uneven so I try to run on the flattest part if possible.

This is an extended family trip for us but my immediate family is all running.

In a perfect world - my kids (DD7 kids race and DS11 5k) would not have to come to packet pick up with us and stay with their cousins. Is there anyone who has managed to arrange this with RunDisney?

I know that each adult needs to be present but I wasn’t sure about the kiddos..even if I just have to bring my DS running the 5K it would be an improvement to bringing both of them!

Anyone know if any of the adult beverage kiosks will be open in EPCOT during the half? One of my goals for this race is to have a mid-race drink! :drinking1 That's why we run, right?!? :D

Anyone know if any of the adult beverage kiosks will be open in EPCOT during the half? One of my goals for this race is to have a mid-race drink! :drinking1 That's why we run, right?!? :D

Les Halles in France opens when the park opens.

Moved up a coral since marathon weekend, I'm in D for this. DH is in A, same as marathon weekend. Marathon weekend was the first time we didn't run a disney race together, I was a little leery at first but I was shocked how nice it was. I didn't feel the pressure of trying to go faster for DH and I didn't have to listen to what he claims are words of encouragement but I just get annoyed with it.

We decided about a month before marathon weekend we'd go at the races on our own. He would train with me and by him shortening his stride and lowering his pace by quite a few mins per mile he was having horrible knee pains. When he ran at his own pace/stride they went away.

I am a little envious of the A's though. He said every character stop was no wait at all, just run up get a photo and continue on his way. Have fun all your A's out there and the photo-ops if you are going for that vs PR!

So now we both have the benefit, I don't have to listen to his "words of encouragement" and he gets all the photo stops he wants.

Moved up a coral since marathon weekend, I'm in D for this. DH is in A, same as marathon weekend. Marathon weekend was the first time we didn't run a disney race together, I was a little leery at first but I was shocked how nice it was. I didn't feel the pressure of trying to go faster for DH and I didn't have to listen to what he claims are words of encouragement but I just get annoyed with it.

We decided about a month before marathon weekend we'd go at the races on our own. He would train with me and by him shortening his stride and lowering his pace by quite a few mins per mile he was having horrible knee pains. When he ran at his own pace/stride they went away.

I am a little envious of the A's though. He said every character stop was no wait at all, just run up get a photo and continue on his way. Have fun all your A's out there and the photo-ops if you are going for that vs PR!

So now we both have the benefit, I don't have to listen to his "words of encouragement" and he gets all the photo stops he wants.

My husband and I can’t run together either. We end up in a fight or annoyed at each other

I cannot believe that it is getting so close! I am nervous about my half marathon because my father passed away suddenly at the beginning of March and I have not had the time to have a long run since the end of January.

@Stitchisthebest I’m so sorry about your dad. :grouphug:

I too lost my dad Friday morning after a brief hospitalization.
As for the distance, what’s the longest you’ve run? Can you get in around 7 miles before the race? If you can, I would think you’ll be able to finish the half. I haven’t run since the 18th of March when I ran the Shamrock Half Marathon and I’m counting on my training for that to be able to carry me through DS.

I cannot believe that it is getting so close! I am nervous about my half marathon because my father passed away suddenly at the beginning of March and I have not had the time to have a long run since the end of January.

As for the distance, what’s the longest you’ve run? Can you get in around 7 miles before the race? If you can, I would think you’ll be able to finish the half. I haven’t run since the 18th of March when I ran the Shamrock Half Marathon and I’m counting on my training for that to be able to carry me through DS.

Just wanted to offer condolences to both of you for the recent losses of your fathers. :grouphug:

I am sorry for your loss.

I normally run 7 miles. I did complete my virtual half marathon at the end of January, but I would feel more comfortable if I was able to get in a longer run.

Good evening,

Also sorry for your loss to you both.

So here is my question can I take magical express to ESPN to go straight to packet pickup from airport. We are coming in Orlando around lunch on Friday and figured it would be easier as we are staying at Polynesian? First time Disney runner here

Thanks Jim

So here is my question can I take magical express to ESPN to go straight to packet pickup from airport. We are coming in Orlando around lunch on Friday and figured it would be easier as we are staying at Polynesian? First time Disney runner here

Nope. You need to go to a resort first and then catch a bus to ESPN. An alternative would be to take an Uber from MCO to ESPN.

So if I'm starting in Coral F, how much of a head start do you guys and gals think I'll have on the balloon ladies? I'm terrified of getting swept!

This is always my corral since I never turn in POT lol. Each corral is 5 minutes apart. So that gives you a 10 minute head start with the last 2 corrals. Plus the balloon ladies are in the back of the corral and it takes them several minutes to reach the start line. I calculate that for myself as making it a 17 minute mile pace since thats about 13 minutes. If youre at the front of the corral though youre going to have several more minutes because its going to take a while to unload all the people in corral F. 17 minutes is a pretty generous pace that some could walk under. My wife can walk a 15 minute pace... I cant lol. But its nothing to be terrified IMO. Enjoy the fun

So if I'm starting in Coral F, how much of a head start do you guys and gals think I'll have on the balloon ladies? I'm terrified of getting swept!

Got in a 14 mile long run yesterday and surprisingly my legs feel great today.

Are you all following training plans or just making up your own as you go? If so, where do you get your training plans from? I like the Runner's World plans a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter