Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

I have to say that I loved last years course and I'll be bummed if they change it.
Me, too! It was so easy to spread out once we were out of the parks.

I just did the dark side, and there was the opposite issue there. The start was more spread out but there were horrible bottlenecks for the last portion of the course. Really frustrating. What WDW did way better though IMO was getting people onto the course. We were in the second to last corral at Light Side and waited over an hour to start, which was painful. At WDW we were in the last corral and got started at 41 minutes. It felt much faster.

I still think this is a significant theme change of some sort. They have changed courses before and never delayed registration like this. The only other delay previously, as others have mentioned, was when they completely revamped W&D.

I still think this is a significant theme change of some sort. They have changed courses before and never delayed registration like this. The only other delay previously, as others have mentioned, was when they completely revamped W&D.

The comments I read was that this isn't a simple course change (we all know that would not hold it up like this), but one that will require new permits from the City of Anaheim (and them being cautious and waiting to ensure they have the permit before selling any more registrations).

Are you staying onsite? I'm waiting to stay onsite but online booking isn't available yet.

I know. The runDisney site has said that online booking will be available starting March 14, 2017 for over a month and a half now! I'm most likely going to use DVC points for our stay but might change my mind depending on the rates offered by rD. Wish they'd hurry up. Assume the delay is tied to the delay in registration.

The comments I read was that this isn't a simple course change (we all know that would not hold it up like this), but one that will require new permits from the City of Anaheim (and them being cautious and waiting to ensure they have the permit before selling any more registrations).
This is my guess too. And/or they are having a hard time getting permits for both Saturday and Sunday (although I can't remember how much the 10k course is outside of the disney property). Personally I haven't run the light side course - I did tink in 2014 and avengers last year and enjoyed both of those. I didn't think I would care about going to the stadium but it was nice to have a target to run to and from... But my favorite part of Cali courses is that you don't have to get up at 2:30 to be on a bus and wait for 3 hours to start so I'm cool with whatever they do!

Well its officially May. I'll be very surprised if they don't give us some details this month.

Bahahahaha!! I totally read this as you saying that they had announced registration would open in May... :rotfl2:

I had to look at the calendar....

Thursday would be an auspicious time. May the 4th be with us.

Side note: That is my niece's 1st birthday. When my SIL went into labor late on May 3rd I thought my brother was going to come unglued!! He's so excited about his little Jedi!

Thursday would be an auspicious time. May the 4th be with us.

I am actually hoping they decide to release info on that day. I mean, it makes sense, right?

Bahahahaha!! I totally read this as you saying that they had announced registration would open in May... :rotfl2:

I had to look at the calendar....

lol yea I guess worded that poorly!

Side note: That is my niece's 1st birthday. When my SIL went into labor late on May 3rd I thought my brother was going to come unglued!! He's so excited about his little Jedi!
Awesome birthday!

I wonder if the volunteer change has something to do with the delay. They'll wait to see what happens with Tinker Bell and make any necessary adjustments after they see how that goes. I just cannot fathom them entirely changing the theme from Star Wars to anything else because of how popular the theme is.

I wonder if the volunteer change has something to do with the delay. They'll wait to see what happens with Tinker Bell and make any necessary adjustments after they see how that goes. I just cannot fathom them entirely changing the theme from Star Wars to anything else because of how popular the theme is.

I agree. I just don't see them changing the theme away from Star Wars.

I'm trying to remember where I read it but I think the delay is because of the course for the half. Apparently the new course in 2017 really upset some people and the city is requesting it to be updated.

I'm trying to remember where I read it but I think the delay is because of the course for the half. Apparently the new course in 2017 really upset some people and the city is requesting it to be updated.
Weird because a lot of people really liked the course in 2017.

Weird because a lot of people really liked the course in 2017.

It wasn't the runners upset with it but rather the people that lived in the city. I remember one gentleman flipping out on the police officer blocking a street during the half-marathon. Maybe he and some others went crying to city hall.

It wasn't the runners upset with it but rather the people that lived in the city. I remember one gentleman flipping out on the police officer blocking a street during the half-marathon. Maybe he and some others went crying to city hall.
Oh got it. I haven't heard anything about that but I don't pay a lot of attention to those details in the Anaheim races.

I read the same thing on Facebook, from someone who said they talked to runDisney at the Dark Side expo.

And from what I've read recently, although I'm not local to really know, the current Anaheim city council and mayor are not exactly pro Disney these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter