Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

I'm so excited, thank you @lurkyloo for this post!

Just got off the phone with Pat. Df and I were supposed to go down with DSD last week and I ended up in the hospital. Now Df and I are doing a solo trip 6/30-7/4: his birthday! I just ordered him a Grumpy cake that I'm super excited to see and taste! I think he'll be floored when he sees it!

Just ordered a custom cake from AKL private dining. So far I am not impressed but we will see what we get. They said they couldn't do do much in the way of fancy fondant but I've seen pictures so I know it can be done. :( They also told me they cannot leave it in the room even if we are already checked in. The whole point is that this is supposed to be a surprise so now I have to shoo my daughter away and call down for the cake to have them deliver it while she's gone and hope it doesn't take forever. I'm really actually kinda thinking about canceling at this point. Ugh!

Has anyone ordered a fancy fondant or decorated cake from Animal Kingdom Lodge lately? We are staying there in a little over a week and I'm thinking about getting a cake delivered to the room. Normally we order from the Contemporary or Grand Floridian Bakery but transporting back to the room after isn't as easy. Would love to have it delivered to the room so we can munch on it all week but I've only ever seen a couple of cakes from that bakery. Any help would be great!

Oh and I'm hoping to have it decorated for a Graduate!
Hmmm. I think my photos are on my old phone. Let me look through the old threads for the pics.

Does anyone know if baby cakes will deliver to a resort? I'd like to do a peanut safe order of donuts, cookies, etc for dd.

Just ordered a custom cake from AKL private dining. So far I am not impressed but we will see what we get. They said they couldn't do do much in the way of fancy fondant but I've seen pictures so I know it can be done. :( They also told me they cannot leave it in the room even if we are already checked in. The whole point is that this is supposed to be a surprise so now I have to shoo my daughter away and call down for the cake to have them deliver it while she's gone and hope it doesn't take forever. I'm really actually kinda thinking about canceling at this point. Ugh!
I originally had asked if Grand Floridian could do a TsumTsum style 6" like the Grump TsumTsum, and was told by Pat that their legal department doesn't allow that anymore simply because if the artist's rendering doesn't meet Disney standards, it ends up being a copyright issue. Messed up, but there it is. Instead, she was able to discuss a design that I think will also be amazing to DF, while still maintaining the integrity of what I asked for, - Grumpy.

So it may not be they can't talent-wise, but can't as in hands tied legally-wise. She said it was some subpar cake art in the past that made them end up only able to do the screen prints on the chocolate or rice paper sheets like you see usually, or the chocolate statues.

After much searching, I'm fairly certain I emailed all my cake pic to lurkeyloo. I still have never been able to uploaded pics.

So, I was planning on a Pluto cake for my DS bday. I spoke to AkL last night and they wanted me to get a screen print. I squashed that idea, but now he is asking for a Star Wars cake. AtAt? No idea what that is. Does anyone have any suggestions? Either Pluto or ATAT?

I'm also looking for ideas for our welcome cake. It will be at Chef Mickeys. I have ZERO creativity left.

I'd double check on delivery - we had one delivered to our room at CR our first night while we were in the parks.

They also told me they cannot leave it in the room even if we are already checked in.

I have ordered several cakes from the Contemporary team. They always were for our arrival and have been placed in our room prior to our arrival (I had done online check-in). I would call again and speak to another person about that.

I'd double check on delivery - we had one delivered to our room at CR our first night while we were in the parks.
After finding out about the delivery charge and gratuity, decided to have it at the wave since we already had an ADR. Figured it would be easier that way instead of hoping it would get delivered in time

After much searching, I'm fairly certain I emailed all my cake pic to lurkeyloo. I still have never been able to uploaded pics.

So, I was planning on a Pluto cake for my DS bday. I spoke to AkL last night and they wanted me to get a screen print. I squashed that idea, but now he is asking for a Star Wars cake. AtAt? No idea what that is. Does anyone have any suggestions? Either Pluto or ATAT?

I'm also looking for ideas for our welcome cake. It will be at Chef Mickeys. I have ZERO creativity left.

AtAt is the atat walker. It's the huge elephant looking (minus the head) vehicle from Star Wars movies. If you google it you can see what it looks like. I'm sure 3D of it may be expensive. Not sure if I remember seeing it on white chocolate stand is on the list. The info is on the first page. Maybe screen picture on top of cake? Again, info on how much that would between should be on first page. As a Star Wars fan, I totally get why at at walker, which sounds like a great cake idea!

AtAt is the atat walker. It's the huge elephant looking (minus the head) vehicle from Star Wars movies. If you google it you can see what it looks like. I'm sure 3D of it may be expensive. Not sure if I remember seeing it on white chocolate stand is on the list. The info is on the first page. Maybe screen picture on top of cake? Again, info on how much that would between should be on first page. As a Star Wars fan, I totally get why at at walker, which sounds like a great cake idea!

I definitely do not want a screen print on top of the cake. I know they've done a screen print on a piece of white chocolate that they've stood on the the cake before, they did that with our Ariel cake. Its not a 3d option, which makes sense AND I really don't care about I about the cost. I'm more frustrated that they wont work with me. I said I wanted a custom fondant cake, they put me on hold and came back to say they had three pictures they would screen print on the top of the cake......um NOPE.

Plus I seem to be non creative and cant think of what I want this year. Edited for myriad typos, the mobile site is wonky today

Last edited:
I definitely do not want a screen print on top of the cake. I know they've done a screen print on a piece of white chocolate that they've stood on the the cake before, they did that with our Ariel cake. Its not a 3d option, which makes sense AND I really don't care about I about the cost. I'm more frustrated that they wont work with me. I said I wanted a custom fondant cake, they put me on hold and came back to say they had three pictures they would screen print on the top of the cake......um NOPE.

Plus I seem to be non creative and cant think of what I want this year. Edited for myriad typos, the mobile site is wonky today

Does your son have an at at walker toy? It could be cute to put that next to the cake. My son has three at at walkers alone that I can think of off the top of my head! Or maybe get a brand new one and put it next to cake as a present in addition to cake? The play dough at at walker size would be perfect

Recently my husband and I went to Disney for his 40th birthday. We have family that live near Orlando, so we planned a big 40th dinner at Boma. I wanted to surprise him with an extra special cake. I called Animal Kingdom Lodge private dining and expressed that I wanted an extra special cake to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday, I would be willing to pay anything for it. I told her his favorite character is mad hatter. She came back with a quote of $30 and a round cake with a screen print of the mad hatter. I told her no, I want something more than that. Like a mad hatter cake, or something fancy fondant, I will pay to make it extra special. She replied with that they do not do good work with fondant, but better with buttercream and she recommended that I go that route, and that they would do a stand up image of a mad hatter tea party. After she told me what they are better at, I asked for it to be over the top, with lots of embellishments, b/c the dinner is actually on his birthday and I will pay for it to be extra special (even said up to $200). She said she made a note of it and we will be pleased.

Well, this is what we got:

That glow thing, it is a buzz light year glow cube, which I guess is their extra embellishment that they would add. This cost us $80. It was vanilla cake with a fruit middle. Needless to say, I was disappointed, but not mad. I could not stop laughing.

Not long before our trip, I had a feeling that the cake from AKL would not meet my expectations. Luckily we had brunch at California Grill that morning. I called and told them basically the same thing. Husbands 40th birthday, I want this to be over the top, but Haunted Mansion themed. What they came back with was perfect. So many details throughout the decorations.

It was vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse, cost $70

Recently my husband and I went to Disney for his 40th birthday. We have family that live near Orlando, so we planned a big 40th dinner at Boma. I wanted to surprise him with an extra special cake. I called Animal Kingdom Lodge private dining and expressed that I wanted an extra special cake to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday, I would be willing to pay anything for it. I told her his favorite character is mad hatter. She came back with a quote of $30 and a round cake with a screen print of the mad hatter. I told her no, I want something more than that. Like a mad hatter cake, or something fancy fondant, I will pay to make it extra special. She replied with that they do not do good work with fondant, but better with buttercream and she recommended that I go that route, and that they would do a stand up image of a mad hatter tea party. After she told me what they are better at, I asked for it to be over the top, with lots of embellishments, b/c the dinner is actually on his birthday and I will pay for it to be extra special (even said up to $200). She said she made a note of it and we will be pleased.

That glow thing, it is a buzz light year glow cube, which I guess is their extra embellishment that they would add. This cost us $80. It was vanilla cake with a fruit middle. Needless to say, I was disappointed, but not mad. I could not stop laughing.

Not long before our trip, I had a feeling that the cake from AKL would not meet my expectations. Luckily we had brunch at California Grill that morning. I called and told them basically the same thing. Husbands 40th birthday, I want this to be over the top, but Haunted Mansion themed. What they came back with was perfect. So many details throughout the decorations.

THe haunted mansion cake looks BEAUTIFUL, I bet it tasted even better too!

The Contemporary does such a wonderful job with cakes! I surprised my Mom last May, and she (with the help of my sister) got me back this March. Both cakes were perfect! Glad the HM one worked out!!

I want to get my dad a cake on our upcoming trip. This trip is in celebration of his retirement so I think that would help make it fun and special. We're staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge which has me a little worried about the cake. I was thinking of just doing a safari/jungle theme because I think I saw a pretty well done cake with that theme and having the cake say something silly like "Have a 'wild' retirement". Do you think they'll execute this well?

I was told they're not allowed to do character cakes in fondant anymore, per their legal team (to them, I didn't speak to legal!). The screen prints are the only way they're allowed to put characters on the cakes now.

I was told they're not allowed to do character cakes in fondant anymore, per their legal team (to them, I didn't speak to legal!). The screen prints are the only way they're allowed to put characters on the cakes now.
That's frustrating. And not was I was told. I'm not asking them to mold a character out of fondant, but if I wanted a publix cake with a screen print on top I would save myself lots of money.
I found some cute ideas with light sabers and the fondant 'suggesting' the Star Wars characters. I'm going to email them and see what they think.

Side note, I was told Chef Amanda no longer does the cakes at AKL, it's now Chef Jessie. Does anyone know if this is the same Chef Jessie that worked at the BC/YC in the past?

That's frustrating. And not was I was told. I'm not asking them to mold a character out of fondant, but if I wanted a publix cake with a screen print on top I would save myself lots of money.
I found some cute ideas with light sabers and the fondant 'suggesting' the Star Wars characters. I'm going to email them and see what they think.

Side note, I was told Chef Amanda no longer does the cakes at AKL, it's now Chef Jessie. Does anyone know if this is the same Chef Jessie that worked at the BC/YC in the past?
I know. I wanted a TsumTsum-esque Grumpy cake: red fondant, peach for the face, white beard draped down the side, eyes, and cheeks. Easy enough. Told it was a no go because it was the character. :(

Disney has never allowed the pastry chefs to mold their own versions of Disney characters, because there's too much chance of an "off-model" character being photographed and plastered all over the Internet. That is why they offer numerous white chocolate character statues (see the list in Post #1) that have passed through a long approval process.

However, every pastry chef seems to have a different interpretation of how far they can go to make a "character-esque" cake. We did a Fozzie-inspired cake with fur, a hat and his necktie at the Contemporary after being told they couldn't do an Animal-face cake.

FozzieCake1.jpg

Then, a few months later, a different pastry chef at the Contemporary re-created for another DISer the same Animal-face cake we'd been told the Contemporary couldn't make.

Animal.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter