Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I call Boardwalk Bakery directly? I know they were the ones who made our cake. I dont really care which restaurant or which day it happens, as long as it happens.
I am hoping custom cakes are still possible at one of these restaurants- but I am willing to change reservations to a restaurant where it is possible. Here are the reservations we have so far:
Jiko, Narcoossee's, Tutto Italia, Hollywood Brown Derby, Kona Cafe, Le Cellier, The Yachtsman.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Hulagirl87 already answered this, but I just wanted to add that the easiest way to get one identical to your wedding cake is to call BoardWalk Bakery (by calling BoardWalk Inn and asking to be transferred) and telling them you were married at Disney and want a replica of the top layer of the cake they made you.

Otherwise, call Private Dining at either the Grand Floridian or Yacht & Beach, depending on which of those two restaurants you'd prefer to get the cake at. The theme park bakeries cannot do fondant (or even buttercream, it would seem...).

Originally thought I would go with GFC and eat at Narcoossee's, but now I am thinking the California Grill. Which resort makes consistently better cakes? Which would you choose?

They seem pretty evenly matched, but posters to this thread seem to report more difficulty in communicating with the Grand Floridian than with the Contemporary, if that helps....

what is the process that you have to go through to order the cakes? can you look at them online? do you have to call? how do you do this?

See the first post in this thread. :thumbsup2

After lurking on these boards for along time, I finally took the plunge and ordered a cake.

Brief History, DF proposed at HS on Dec 21, 2009. We also are planning a DFTW as well and didn't think we would get back there before that.

But as luck would have it, we found out in Mid-May that we would actually have a few days to ourselves (aka no kids!) in mid-June and decided, why not got to Disney. Perfect. We can celebrate his Birthday while we are there.

When we decided to go, we wasted no time and got right to work with planning. I decided since the last 2 years, his Birthday cake was nice..but each time messed up by the local bake shop...a cake would be in order.

I was hesistant since I have seen some awesome looking cakes but also heard some horrible stories as well. And a $100 for a cake for 2 people...no offense, I'd rather buy him a sweatshirt or something for that! :rotfl2:

But, I finally convinced myself to do it. I considered having it at the Brown Derby...but then you can't do fondant. Yachtsman...seems to have a good reputation...but we are going straight back to Epcot afterwards...hmmm cake left in a hot rental car, probably not the best option. Citrico's on the last night...perfect :thumbsup2. And since I am not a big risk taker, I just ordered a mini two tier wedding cake from GF...seriously how bad can they mess it up?

Well, the jury is still out on it..I will let you know once we return on June 23rd! Connie took my order, told me it serves 1, was $30 and just to let them know at the podium when we checked in, I had a special occasion cake ordered. She only asked what flavor of cake and what writing did I want on the plate. I know it's not a big custom cake or anything, but I thought you got a few other choices. Guess not..well, I'm sure it will be lovely :rotfl: or at least not any worse than the last two years cakes! :confused3

Get out the magic wands and sprinkle us with Pixie Dust...this should be interesting! :wizard:

And here is a picture of the final product...we were very pleased!!!

SAM_0300.jpg

Oh yeah, almost forgot to take a picture of the inside...
SAM_0305.jpg

White Buttercream Frosting, Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Fudge Filling...perfect size for 1 or 2 (if you aren't big sweet eaters, like us!). It was very moist for such a small cake...think slightly larger than an easy bake oven cake! :laughing:

No screwups, upon checking in at Citrico's, one CM mentioned the special hmm hmm while another CM commented to him on his Birthday button...after dinner, when dessert was served the server winked and brought out the cake and candle...perfect. $30 well spent!

Okay I read the boards lots this is our 2nd time going to the world. Now my question is this we will be therein July from the 16th to the 21st, my dd turns 8 on the 24th and we are forgoing a bday party at home because we are going to disney. Would I be able to celebrate her b-day there like on the last day just to make it special with a cake and maybe them treat her special for that day. Anyone done this in the past?
Thanks Sooooooo Much

Cathy

Hi
My b-day is our last full day at WDW and we have and ADR for Ohana's for dinner. Anyone order cakes at the Poly? Do they make them there or do you have to order from another resort, such as the GF, and have them trucked over? I had a cake before at CRT and GFC and those were more clear cut and easy to order. Thanks!

We are going Aug 26- Sept 2. My daughter's Bday is Aug 18th and I figured it was too late to celebrate it at Disney. Yesterday i called to change our first day dining plans. We are eating at the Crystal Palace at MK. The CM asked if we were celebrating anything this trip and I said no, our daughter's birthday is the week before. He said we MUST celebrate it at disney and would mark it on the dining reservation. (his daughter's birthday just happened to be the same day too!) I said "isn't it too late since it would not really be her birthday?" Again he said no, and even told us to pick up a birthday badge for her. I am not going to do that though... since really her birthday would already be done and i would feel kinda guilty about her getting "birthday wishes".

If you wanted, you could plan a TS meal for one of your days and explain to the waiter/waitress that it is only a few short days until your daughter's b-day. They will most likely do something special. We happened to eat at
1900 Park Fare on my 13th b-day and all of the characters acknowledged it! When they gave their autographs, they also wrote "Happy B-Day!" and our waiter even announced to the dining room that it was my special day!

On another note, most cafeterias in the resorts have a frozen sara lee cake that you can pick up; you could also call disney and have them bake a custom cake! Hope this helps!!!

If I call the cake hotline will they connect me to the Boardwalk Bakery if I ask them to because I need to order a cheesecake for my Daughthers birthay for Tutto Italia for our August trip?

Hi all: i am wondering if anyone has ordered this cake for a lunch at whispering canyon cafe?

the disney website says that it is available at most family table service restaurants. we are having my ds5 birthday meal at wss and i am hoping we can just call a couple of days in advance and order this cake. it is my understanding that it is a pre-packaged cake, so i am hoping it is easily available at the restaurant.

any first hand experience would be appreciated. i just want to have a back up plan in case this is not available at wcc. our trip isn't until november, so i guess i have enough time to find any alternative!

thanks! :)

Can anyone point me to a website/thread where I can see special order cakes that can be delivered to the restaurants? My daughter will be turning 5 while there so I need to order a special cake. TYIA. :goodvibes

Can anyone point me to a website/thread where I can see special order cakes that can be delivered to the restaurants? My daughter will be turning 5 while there so I need to order a special cake. TYIA. :goodvibes

All we have to go by is the other cake photo thread that folks have added to over the years and you can find that link in the first post of this thread. :thumbsup2

Do they deliver the mini wedding cakes to Epcot? We will be having lunch at Coral Reef, will they deliver it there?

There is also a cake index in the second post, so if you're looking for a Cinderella Cake, you can click on the links and it'll bring up all of the photos of Cinderella Cakes that are in the Cake Gallery Thread.

looking at getting a cake for dh for our anniversary, can you email a picture from this thread and say id like something like this?:goodvibes

I am wanting to get one of the mini wedding cakes for DD's 6th birthday. Do I call the cake hotline for this or the resort direct?? I assume I can customize the frosting colors. I saw someone had little orange Mickey heads on theirs.
Thanks!

My son's gf will turn 18 on our next trip. Planning for Cirque and then dinner at the California Grill right before fireworks. I plan on ordering a speciality cake, her favorite Disney movies are Hercules and Pocahantes. Anyone sen any cool cakes, losely based on either of these? I have went through almost this entire thread and haven't seen any. I want something super creative adn cute, is CG is good choice?

Hi
My b-day is our last full day at WDW and we have and ADR for Ohana's for dinner. Anyone order cakes at the Poly? Do they make them there or do you have to order from another resort, such as the GF, and have them trucked over? I had a cake before at CRT and GFC and those were more clear cut and easy to order. Thanks!

this is information I would like to know too- Birthday dinner is at Ohana.
How about Choc strawberries-- can we order those too?

Hey everyone,
Thanks so much for all of the great information. After months of searching and reading the threads, here's what I ended up asking for. This cake is a surprise for my parent's 20th anniversary.
We are staying at BLT and I have emailed with Brian, He has been great.
I asked for a chocolate 6" cake with white buttercream.
Something Bay Lake Tower "modern Mickey" themed - some kind of modern hidden Mickey celebration pattern.
Colors: "Mickey" colors - red, golden yellow, white, black
Words: "Happy 20th Anniversary Neil and Bonnie" in a pretty cursive
No fondant.
Around $60 range if possible.

Can't wait to hear back from him!

Let me know what he responds!! I was thinking of something around the same lines. There will only we 3 of us and I do not want a huge cake. Your requests sound similar to mine. Are you having this delivered to the room or at a resturant? I heard the smallest delivered to the room is 10 inches. I was hoping for a room delivery, but could do it at a resturant is needed. Good luck!!

Well, Brian quoted me a price of $45 for the cake, and gave me the number of private dining to call and order it and said I could pay for it in advance (it's going to be a surprise for my parents). I called this morning and spoke to Julie. She was SO great and very nice. I told her my sister and I want it delivered to our room at BLT on July 14th. It's going to be a 6 inch, chocolate with white butter cream, red/black/golden yellow/white, piped Mickeys around the side, with Happy 20th Anniversary written on top. She took my credit card information and said it will be charged the day of, and there is a 24 hour cancellation policy. She asked what Brian quoted me, so I'm guessing it wil be the same price. We are going to have it delivered at 12:00 on July 14th (their anniversary), and we stay until the 23rd so that will give us plenty of time to finish it. I'm probably going to call back the day before we leave and confirm, and also make sure that when my dad checks in, they don't mention the cake!

Ok I have a couple of questions. I am wanting to order a custom cake for our Nov/Dec trip. From what I have read it looks like my best bet would be to order the cake for our Chef Mickey dinner. I have a pretty good idea about what I want, I have pictures of some other cakes, and know what I want from them, should I just wait till a week or so before and then call to request an e-mail to send them in describing what I want, or should I try and contact them earlier so they have a little more time?
Also does anyone know if it is possible to get a six inch cake with a smaller madhatter shaped cake on top of it? And if so does anyone have an idea of what this would cost?
Thanks just trying to see if what I am dreaming in my mind would even be possible.

Ok I have a couple of questions. I am wanting to order a custom cake for our Nov/Dec trip. From what I have read it looks like my best bet would be to order the cake for our Chef Mickey dinner. I have a pretty good idea about what I want, I have pictures of some other cakes, and know what I want from them, should I just wait till a week or so before and then call to request an e-mail to send them in describing what I want, or should I try and contact them earlier so they have a little more time?

I emailed with Brian starting at a month and a half before, but didn't actually call until today (12 days before my trip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter