Official inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler thread. September 29, 2012

I like it. I had already booked to do the Wine and Dine, but I'll happily run this instead. Something new to try, and it is Disney!

Like the idea, just going to depend on what the price is. Probably with the after race party it will be out of my limited budget.

I actually like the 10 mile distance. Its long enough that you have to think about energy bleed but still short enough that you can run hard.

Not sure that I am running as we have a local 10 miler the following weekend. Plus, I am just not a real night race person. I have to wait for more details before committing.

I, too, love the 10 mile distance AND I much prefer night running so I am super excited about them brining back this race! Of course, that means another trip to Disney. With my goal of doing every race Disney has to offer in 2012, that makes 7 trips to Disney in 2012. I think I am going to need some more DVC points ;)

I have never done a Disney race, but am really considering this one! I like the length and would enjoy running through DHS. Definitely can't wait to see the course map!

I think I'm in for this one. I kept hurting myself this winter in my training for the Princess half and was disappointed there was really nothing I wanted to do the rest of the year until the NEXT Princess. Now, this has popped up and it's a perfect distance for me, plus I'm a night runner for sure, and we LOVE ToT. We were also planning on staying at Beach Club, within walking distance to HS. Couple those facts with the fact we were already planning on being there from 9/22 through 9/29 and we've got a winner!!

Now, I have to decide how to center the race in my vacation. Do I do the race at the end of my vacation after I've been walking walking walking in the parks all week, or do I center it around the beginning of my vacation when I'm fresh but recovery might take up precious park days? I don't care about F&W, really, so I'm not concerned about whether or not we have more F&W days.

DH and I are heavily considering this race. It's a good length for us plus we like night running. Have DVC points to burn this year as well, so that works out well for us.

I'm excited about this one! We did the W&D last year and loved it. We are planning on a trip with our extended family in September and were hoping to fit a race in. We thought it would be the W&D, but this one sounds great too. I am due in February, so that should be plenty of time to get ready for a 10 miler.

I found a partner in crime so I will definately be doing this race! I am also planning on doing the DL Half and the Wine and Dine half so I will have a busy three months! I also have friend trying to convince me to do the WDW Full in 2013 so if I added that that would be 5 months of crazy traveling!

I'm in! We're huge fans of MNSSHP (WDW in 06 & 07, and DL in '11). The new race is just the push I needed to get me back to WDW for '12. Now that I think about it, I haven't been to DHS since '03, so the race really is perfect for me.

Any ideas on what the hotels will be? I'd love to stay at BC but I'm not sure how close/far it would be.

I may be in, but it depends on registration cost. It's already expensive just to get to Florida from where I live, so having to pay $100 or more for registration really hurts. I do love the night races, though and I'm a sucker for an inaugural medal, so I may have to save every penny to make it there.

I may be in, but it depends on registration cost. It's already expensive just to get to Florida from where I live, so having to pay $100 or more for registration really hurts. I do love the night races, though and I'm a sucker for an inaugural medal, so I may have to save every penny to make it there.

I think with the private party and all one can expect the costs to be very close to the current 2012 half marathon costs.

I think with the private party and all one can expect the costs to be very close to the current 2012 half marathon costs.

With the escalation in 2012 half marathon costs as the year progresses, the race entry form may have a loan application attached. :scared1:

2012 half marathon price increases:
Tinkerbell January $120 to $140
Princess February $130 to $150
Disneyland September $150 to $180

I guess women spend more at the expo justifying a price break on race entry prices :confused3

My 2 girlfriends and I did the Princess half back in February and it was out first. We had an amazing time :banana: and I have been itching to do another Disney race. One of the friends and I will be definitely doing this one. We both live in South Florida and are AP holders so this is an easy one for us. :)

I was all set to do the W&D 1/2 and now they changed it so I'm torn. Do we keep our original plans and run the TOT run or switch them to W&D weekend???? The definite downside to the W&D is Veterans Day/jersey week so it will be more crowded. Anyone done the W&D 1/2 and the TOT run they used to have? Just wondering opinions on both. Thanks! We are planning to stay for a week after either one.

I was all set to do the W&D 1/2 and now they changed it so I'm torn. Do we keep our original plans and run the TOT run or switch them to W&D weekend???? The definite downside to the W&D is Veterans Day/jersey week so it will be more crowded. Anyone done the W&D 1/2 and the TOT run they used to have? Just wondering opinions on both. Thanks! We are planning to stay for a week after either one.

Honestly, you cannot really decide based on the old ToT course versus the unknown course. The old ToT course was at best a funky 8 miler heading over from the DHS to the ESPN complex and then taking an unpaid road back to Osceola and then into DHS. It would be hard to squeeze and extra 2 miles onto the old course as it existed. Saying all this, the old ToT course was a nice course for what it was.

On the other hand, the W&D course is a nice little track. THough I found the trek through AK a little darker than I like, but not overly dark.It is basically an out and back with the longest trek through DHS you will ever take; at least until we know the ToT course.

I guess I am trying to say you have lots of time to decide from an entry and course perspective.

I'm in! Running with the Disney Villans sounds exciting! And thoughts of after party and hopefully getting to ride Aerosmith and ToT is bonus! We have our vaca planned around Princess and now ToT!

well we had already booked BWV for that week to do the W&D.....so I guess i'm in too!! I'm interested in seeing the course, and really think it SHOULD be less than the 1/2 as it's 3 miles shorter. the after party in DHS actually works in our favor, as this is an adults only trip, and Park Hoppers are so expensive to add on, we planned on doing only Epcot for F&W, so were afraid we would miss RNRC and TSM.....so this works for us. now we can ride what we want, and not have to buy park hoppers. :rotfl:

I would really love to do this race. Can't wait till more details come out. We will probably be there around that time anyway, so might as well make it for this race. Its also on my daughter's 18th birthday (September 29, 2012). I would love for her to do it with me. Running isn't really her "thing". She has done several 5K's with me, but just because I ask her to. She is considering training for this one. I really hope she does. I guess I sometimes forget and just assume everyone else loves running as much as I do! lol :rotfl2:

Hi there...
Can I ask some newbie questions? We've never been to WDW (I went when I was young) and I want to sign up for this Twilight 10 miler, so...
1) I'm doing the Tinkerbell 1/2 in Jan (my 1st 1/2), and I don't know anything about an after race party, however I see mentions of it here. What exactly is it?
2) Being a WDW novice, is it WAY better for racers to stay onsite as opposed to offsite?
Thanks!

From the Disney Blog:

...This new race, scheduled for Sept. 29, will follow a similar course – through the set of “Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show’’ and past Mickey’s Sorcerer’s Hat – but features runDisney’s first-ever 10-mile distance that finishes, appropriately enough, near The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror attraction. If you “survive’’ the experience, you’ll be treated to a shiny new medal and a rocking post-race party with your family and friends that features live music, Disney characters and exclusive access to attractions such as Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, Star Tours, Toy Story Mania! and, of course, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

My opinion: Staying onsite, taking advantage of disney transportation to and from the race, huge benefit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter