OFFICIAL January 2012 5K, Half Marathon, Marathon, Goofy or Dopey Challenge Thread

Following on to Charles' excellent description of the hills, let me add that the elevation changes aren't any more severe than running the ones along Allen Parkway or in Terry Hershey Park. If you can handle those, you'll do just fine at WDW.

Ughh, i just had flashbacks on the one narley incline in hershey park. Cannot remember the cross street but I am here to say, I hated it. That is where I was first called Coach! Thanks USAFit.

Hows things across the pond, continent and sea? Dang, that is the other side of the world.

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the great information! I'm doing my first half marathon and running the 5K with my daughter. My Dad is arriving before us and has offered to go pick up up packets for the 5K since we won't land in time. I keep reading about the paperwork he needs but I can't find the packet pick-up authorization. Is it different from the waiver? I have the waiver and a copy of my drivers license. Where do I find the packet pick-up authorization?

Has anyone seen the gymboss interval timer at the expo? I've been meaning to buy one but am cutting it too close to have it shipped. Thanks!

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the great information! I'm doing my first half marathon and running the 5K with my daughter. My Dad is arriving before us and has offered to go pick up up packets for the 5K since we won't land in time. I keep reading about the paperwork he needs but I can't find the packet pick-up authorization. Is it different from the waiver? I have the waiver and a copy of my drivers license. Where do I find the packet pick-up authorization?

Has anyone seen the gymboss interval timer at the expo? I've been meaning to buy one but am cutting it too close to have it shipped. Thanks!

Last year my DH scribbled a note on a little piece of paper that said, "I authorize my wife, Amanda, to pick up my race packet." That, along with a copy of his driver's license and the waiver were enough for me to get his packet.

Amanda

Question: My parents are coming to Disney to watch us all run our races. My mom has emphysema and will be in an ECV. She wants to go to WWoS on Friday to watch her grandchildren run in the kid races. I don't remember the Expo buses last year having handicapped accessibility. Does anyone know how someone in an ECV can get to WWoS?

Thanks!
Amanda

Last year my DH scribbled a note on a little piece of paper that said, "I authorize my wife, Amanda, to pick up my race packet." That, along with a copy of his driver's license and the waiver were enough for me to get his packet.

Amanda

That may work, but if you are going to scan and email a copy of your DL to Dad, then just add the authorization form. It is on the race info page just below the waiver links. Each race has it's own link. Here is the link...http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/media...wdwmarathon/2012-final-race-pickup-5KForm.pdf

Last year was the first year for the form so it may not have been enforced as well. Why chance it?

Good chance of not finding the interval timer at the expo. You may need to find an alternate for the race.

Question: My parents are coming to Disney to watch us all run our races. My mom has emphysema and will be in an ECV. She wants to go to WWoS on Friday to watch her grandchildren run in the kid races. I don't remember the Expo buses last year having handicapped accessibility. Does anyone know how someone in an ECV can get to WWoS?

Thanks!
Amanda

I hate COPD, it consumed all the folks on my dad's side of my family tree. Give her a hug for me.

I do not think that the coach buses all have lifts. Not sure where you are staying, but there are a couple National/thrifty rental outlets on property that you could rent for the day. Or there are regular Disney buses that do go to ESPN WWoS. At one time they were from DHS, then just the AllStar. Today the website says Pop, CBR and AllStar. While a pain you could ride to one of these resorts then to the WWoS.. A final suggestion, Mears Taxi has wheel chair capable vans in their taxi fleet. Definitely cheaper than a car at maybe $20 with a full cab

I hate COPD, it consumed all the folks on my dad's side of my family tree. Give her a hug for me.

I do not think that the coach buses all have lifts. Not sure where you are staying, but there are a couple National/thrifty rental outlets on property that you could rent for the day. Or there are regular Disney buses that do go to ESPN WWoS. At one time they were from DHS, then just the AllStar. Today the website says Pop, CBR and AllStar. While a pain you could ride to one of these resorts then to the WWoS.. A final suggestion, Mears Taxi has wheel chair capable vans in their taxi fleet. Definitely cheaper than a car at maybe $20 with a full cab

Thanks Coach! She quit smoking more than 10 years ago and yet the damage was long done. It's hard to watch. Last January my parents came to Disney for my 1st half marathon and she refused to get an ECV. She could barely get up the monorail ramps. This year we insisted on the ECV.
They are staying at the Dolphin on Thursday night before transferring to the Grand Floridian on Friday (I couldn't get a good rate for Thurs but got the 35% discount for the rest of the trip - I'm treating them!). RunDisney told my dad to go to DHS to catch a bus to WWoS so hopefully that'll work but I thought someone here might have some insight. I'll tell them about the Mears taxi as a good back-up plan.
I want to have as many good memories with her while we are still blessed to have her well enough to join us!

Amanda

I decided to order a back bib from races to remember since I'm not wearing my WISH shirt during the 1/2 or full. If you see me along the course, please say hi!

2939088240101754954S600x600Q85.jpg

Good chance of not finding the interval timer at the expo. You may need to find an alternate for the race.

Any suggestions what to look for? I think I saw Jeff Galloway recommend the Timex Ironman 100. I'm pretty much limited to something I can find in a store or order on Amazon with next day shipping. I've considered the Garmins but do most of my running on a treadmill and don't need anything too fancy or expensive.

We are headed over on THurday AM - I think the first SWA flite... Hope to see you around.

I'll be on the first direct SWA flight on Friday morning. The day after you, Coach. Will be at BLT. Chances are slim to none in "seeing you around", but stranger things have happened in the World of Magic!

And thanks for the blow-by-blow. I printed your 2006 report and will read it (again) on the plane.

Following on to Charles' excellent description of the hills, let me add that the elevation changes aren't any more severe than running the ones along Allen Parkway or in Terry Hershey Park. If you can handle those, you'll do just fine at WDW.

Got it, John! :thumbsup2 Similar to Houston Marathon miles 22-24. Ish. Those hills were painful then. Hopefully they'll be easier in the half at Disney. We're gonna miss you in WDW this time around.

This will be my first Donald Duck Half, doing Tinker Bell for my 2nd Coast-to-Coast. I first started training for half marathons through the American Heart Association's training program because I'm a heart survivor. Now the dang heart might let me down. I went into a-fib this week. I plan to start the race and just hope that i can finish without being swept. Maybe I'll run into one of the other walking wounded from the board and we can keep each other company. Keep your fingers crossed for me please.

Got it, John! :thumbsup2 Similar to Houston Marathon miles 22-24. Ish. Those hills were painful then. Hopefully they'll be easier in the half at Disney. We're gonna miss you in WDW this time around.

Yeah, those hills are no fun, but 22-24 in a full means you're much more tired than during a half. Only real difference is that at WDW, there's no one handing out beer at mile 24 once you've conquered them like in Houston. :)

I'll miss being there too. 2013 needs to get here quickly.

This is our first marathon. DH is running with my 2 best friends and the 3 kids and I will be cheering him on. I am having a difficult time picturing what it will look like to be a spectator. Can someone paint a picture for me? How early do I need to be there to see them off? How difficult will it be to get over to MK to try to see them? Is it even worth it to go to MK? My kids are 8,9, & 11. Any suggestions and tips are very appreciated. I am very nervous about finding a place to wait.

Any suggestions what to look for? I think I saw Jeff Galloway recommend the Timex Ironman 100. I'm pretty much limited to something I can find in a store or order on Amazon with next day shipping. I've considered the Garmins but do most of my running on a treadmill and don't need anything too fancy or expensive.

The Timex 100 is a great old school watch. It has multiple timers with an infinite loop, so it will keep beeping for the entire race. I ran with a predecessor for years

Though if you are thinking you are going to have to order your gym boss through Amazon, why not drop ship it to you Disney Resort? It will save one level of shipping costs - just make sure that is is not an USPS based shipment (sorry postal workers but there is no real time tracking). Just set up a new ship to address
Disney Resort Name
C/O xxxxx (Guest arriving 1/5/12)
Resort Street Address
Lake Buena Vista
FL

We used to hard ship stuff to Disney for vacation all the time so these guys are used to handling these kinds of things. I would make sure your package schedule package arrival date is Thursday, just in case of a day delay (even if you are arriving Friday)

This will be my first Donald Duck Half, doing Tinker Bell for my 2nd Coast-to-Coast. I first started training for half marathons through the American Heart Association's training program because I'm a heart survivor. Now the dang heart might let me down. I went into a-fib this week. I plan to start the race and just hope that i can finish without being swept. Maybe I'll run into one of the other walking wounded from the board and we can keep each other company. Keep your fingers crossed for me please.

Good luck... Take the race as easy as you need

This is our first marathon. DH is running with my 2 best friends and the 3 kids and I will be cheering him on. I am having a difficult time picturing what it will look like to be a spectator. Can someone paint a picture for me? How early do I need to be there to see them off? How difficult will it be to get over to MK to try to see them? Is it even worth it to go to MK? My kids are 8,9, & 11. Any suggestions and tips are very appreciated. I am very nervous about finding a place to wait.

The race starts at around 5:30 and last corral goes through around 6:00. Seeing the start is challenging as it is dark, there are about 20,000 runners and you have to get yourself onto World Drive. I would skip the start.

IMO, the better option is to go to MK or the area outside the Ticket Transportation Center and cheer there. Then you would be able to get back to Epcot and watch the finish.

But what you may want to play around with is the Spectator Online Tool that RunDisney has. It lets you enter the race, expected pace and helps you figure out what to see and how to get there. Here's the link.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/spectator-tool

First, runDisney (marathon web page) has a great 'Online Spectator Tool" under the Spectator Resources button on the left side of the marathon page.

If you are planning on getting up and out to the staging area with the crew, that is the most conservative play. You can hang with him in the staging area until it is time for him to head to the start then head to you first viewing location.

The race has a start (and mile 4 viewing) spot. It is on the north side (away from the park) of the parking lot the staging area is located in. There will be lit signs point it out. Note that this is not one of the greater locations. It is dark and as runners pass for the start they are on the opposite side of the road. But we pass by again at mile 4 and on the spectator side of the roadway. Still dark so you may not see him coming.

To get to MK, simply take the monorail. It will drop you at the TTC. Here you have two options. Either watch here or move to the MK train and watch from Main. The TTC spot (mile 9) is easier to spot him and easier for him to stop for a quick chat. Main (mile 10.4) is just exciting, but if you do this, either stick to the Tony's area (where runners come into the park) or at the far end where runners turn right and leave Main. These are corners in the race and points where the race is not compacted. It is hard to see a runner coming along Main. Note that you can get into MK free for the marathon.

The TTC and MK are a choice. You cannot do both. But from either of these locations, you can get to the Poly (mile 12.8) or GF (mile 12,4) before he arrives. The GF is less crowded for you to get to the roadway. Just head out of either resort and walk to the parking lot exits. You will see folks standing.

I would rule out heading to AK. It is just not easy to get to. So your next spots are either in Epcot where we run into the park or near the finish line. Either are great. The inside the park viewing will require a ticket.

Spectator Checklist.

Know what you runner's pace range is. Both good and bad. Find out what corral they are in, that will give you a start time. Do the math and have it listed on a cheat sheet so you know when to expect them.

Get to your spot earlier than expected... And stay a little late if you do not see them, but not so late that you miss the next spot.

Enrol in the notification service . It will provide text/email updates at mile 5, 10, 13.1, 20.1 and finish. Hopefully the new service will be a lot more timely than they have been in the past.

Both you and your runner should know what each other are wearing.

Station yourself in a corner if possible, one where you can see the runners coming without having to bend to look. You will be seen earlier by the runner if you are in his field of view.

Clap and applaud all runners while you are standing and waiting. A cow bell, clappers, etc will keep hands from hurting late in the race.

Talk with your fellow spectators. You can help each other spot their runners.

Hope this helps

Hope you will be 100% for the race!!! Hang in there - but don't push yourself too much!!! Will be thinking of you this week! Hope everyone has a Happy, Healthy New Year!!!

Quick question for Coach or one of the other marathon regulars. Now that I'm officially out for the full, I get to spend 100% of my energy planning to see my wife during the half. We are staying at Wilderness Lodge, and I'm wondering if it is possible to walk to TTC?

It really doesn't seem that far, based on our visits in the past, but we've never tried to walk it. I'll have a 6 and 4 year old in tow. Seems like that would be a good way to avoid the crowds on the buses, get a viewing in around TTC, and still make the finish at Epcot via Monorail. It seems like trying to get the second viewing in around the Poly might be pushing my luck getting to the finish, which is the most important location of all.

If you don't think walking is possible, are there buses from WL to TTC directly, or will I get a "scenic tour" getting there?

Thanks everyone, and good luck with your races! I envy you.

Quick question for Coach or one of the other marathon regulars. Now that I'm officially out for the full, I get to spend 100% of my energy planning to see my wife during the half. We are staying at Wilderness Lodge, and I'm wondering if it is possible to walk to TTC?

It really doesn't seem that far, based on our visits in the past, but we've never tried to walk it. I'll have a 6 and 4 year old in tow. Seems like that would be a good way to avoid the crowds on the buses, get a viewing in around TTC, and still make the finish at Epcot via Monorail. It seems like trying to get the second viewing in around the Poly might be pushing my luck getting to the finish, which is the most important location of all.

If you don't think walking is possible, are there buses from WL to TTC directly, or will I get a "scenic tour" getting there?

Thanks everyone, and good luck with your races! I envy you.

Can you get out early? say 5:45-6AM? The reason I ask is that you need to get out before the runners start to come by as once the first few go through it is tough to cross the course and you are on the incorrect side of the course.

You have two options for walking to the course - and yes you can walk. WIth kiddos, I would take the southern entrance (left from the building) to World Drive. That is there the traffic light is located. Crossing with the light continue walking down Seven Seas Dr to the TTC complex. The old Kennel was there and now a security or other services building. Walk in to the TTC from there. Note the short eighth mile walk is not on a sidewalk so use caution.

The northern option does not have a traffic light, but once you cross World, you are on Topiary Lane, the old bus stop entrance street for TTC and with zero traffic. It is the short stretch of road we take on course from the TTC to World Dr.

DIsney security will be out at some point, usually around 6, so obey their commands if they are not allowing any of this to happen.

Zoom in on the resort on Google Maps satellite view and it you follow this rather easily. BTW, no Disney transportation is open in time to get you to the race. In other words, the boats nor buses are running.

Note that besides the TTC, you should still be able to grab a view at the Poly unless she is running a 6-7 minute pace or quicker. Look at the Online Planning Tool on the RunD website and plug her pace it. It will give you her time til finish and you commute times. If close, then punt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter