Official Star Wars Half Marathon Thread...Jan 15-18th, 2015!!

I'll def try to register 11 central for the rebel challenge, would of loved at WDW but gives a great excuse to finally go to DL, was planning on 2015 avengers but I love Star Wars so this is perfect!

I'm so excited! My running buddy and I are definitely in for the Rebel Challenge, and hopefully we can talk my best friend into it as well!

I still don't get why they would move Tinker Bell to May instead of just scheduling the Star Wars half in May. I'll be coming down for both regardless, but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm so excited! My running buddy and I are definitely in for the Rebel Challenge, and hopefully we can talk my best friend into it as well!

I still don't get why they would move Tinker Bell to May instead of just scheduling the Star Wars half in May. I'll be coming down for both regardless, but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Yeah, it seems a little pointless.

Ive done a couple DL and a couple WDW 1/2's and here are my thoughts:
It's VERY different. If you can swing it cost wise I highly recommend staying at one of the 3 DL hotels. I prefer the Paradise Pier (which is the least expensive of the 3). Not really knowing where the start and finish lines will be, but if they are like Tink at all, it is right outside of this hotel. My corral (D) was like 40 feet from the entrance. IT WAS AMAZING.

Not sure on the good neighbor hotels, I know a lot of people can help out with that.

Right now DL is not allowing booking for any of their hotels past this year. So I will have to wait. I am guessing their hotel prices are kind of like WDW...in the 200- and up up up range I gather. I would rather stay at one of their hotels tho...if at least for the night of the race....but this will depend on cost.

My three boys would have absolutely loved this Star Wars Half weekend, but they're traveling with me for the WDW Marathon Weekend (they're running the 5K, I'll run the marathon and 5K.) They have to get back to school in January after the WDW Marathon Weekend, but if Star Wars were in May . . .

If you stay on Harbor or Katella, you can most definitely walk. There is a free shuttle on race weekends but unless you are staying at one of the further away hotels you probably dont need it. The first year I did Tink I stayed at Hojo's and I walked over in the morning. Took me about 20 minutes. And there are many hotels that are closer that Hojo.

Good to know. I am totally unfamiliar with DL.
I was thinking it was like WDW in that it was totally secluded and WAY out of the way from the rest of the world...however if you can actually walk from an outside hotel to the start line..its good to know...since I don't know how much their hotel rooms are right now.

How is the area there (Hojos)? You must have had to walk when it was dark outside to be at a race for an early start time. So I gather it isn't ... creepy...

Per DW, if I can find someone to split the hotel bill, & I can register, then I can go.

Right now DL is not allowing booking for any of their hotels past this year. So I will have to wait. I am guessing their hotel prices are kind of like WDW...in the 200- and up up up range I gather. I would rather stay at one of their hotels tho...if at least for the night of the race....but this will depend on cost.

Definitely $200 and up. Both Grand Cal and DL Hotel are considered deluxe, so let that be your guide. And although paradise pier is cheaper, it's moderately cheaper....

We stayed at the Anabella for Tink and it was easily walkable. Love that hotel.

After how quick Avengers sold out, no doubt, def less than 12 Parsecs.

Lol, I thought I'd be able to handle this, but I guess the nerd in me can't! A Parsec is a unit of distance, not time! Hope I'm not embarrassing myself too much :lovestruc

My guess is that they want Star Wars fans to go to both parks. If they had the race in May, it would take away from Star Wars weekends in WDW.

Definitely $200 and up. Both Grand Cal and DL Hotel are considered deluxe, so let that be your guide. And although paradise pier is cheaper, it's moderately cheaper....

We stayed at the Anabella for Tink and it was easily walkable. Love that hotel.

I found a Marriot that says its across the street from the entrance....its pretty cheap there too. I already booked it. If I find something else I can cancel this one...but for the price...I don't think I would get cheaper nor closer without staying in DL itself.

I would love to stay IN DL but this will depend on what the final cost is when they publish their rates for next year. I think I saw something that said the least expensive hotel was from $300 up. So I will probably stick to my Marriot...but we will see.

Per DW, if I can find someone to split the hotel bill, & I can register, then I can go.

Or you could stay at a hotel outside of DL...I found a Marriot that states its across the street from DL ... their entrance...but I don't know how far that is from the start line. Anyway...I booked it for 132/night. I think that is the cheapest ... if you had no one to split the bill with you in DL.

I kept my invoice from GET Travel for Tink this year and each night at Paradise Pier cost me $305. That's the discounted rate.... thru DL booking it will be more, if memory serves it was $340 a night at Paradise Pier.

I'm guessing it will look kind of the same.

I'm definitely in for the Rebel Challenge, and possibly the 5K as we'll. I'll decide that soon!

And if anyone is interested, here's a sister thread and check in over on the Disneyland board as well: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51525566#post51525566

Definitely not trying to stop you from doing a sister thread but what I have found is it gets really confusing for people to look back and forth trying to get info.... (I've also managed the Princess threads a couple times)usually the run disney stuff stays on the WISH boards. Again, totally up to you but hate to have you recreate everything that I am also putting time into.

Happy running!

DH and I are in for the Rebel Challenge! This gets us back to DL a few years before we were planning on returning but we just can't say no to a Star Wars race! I already booked us a room at the Desert Inn on Harbor right across the street from the main gates for about $125 per night with taxes and fees. I'm anxious to register but I'm so glad we are DVC and can register early.

I'm pretty annoyed with RunDisney announcing this after the Castaway Cay Challenge sold out. They know their events sell out in 24 hours or less, so why not announce all of this at the same time and let people make a choice? There are no flights from Orlando to LA that will arrive in time to make the Expo on Friday, so there is no way to do both the Castaway Cay Challenge and the Rebel Challenge. I may try and register for the Half because that is just how afflicted I am with RunDisney-itis, but I am still annoyed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter