Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

How much of a difference will the race being one week later be for the humidity?
Probably not a lot - all of April is generally less humid than August, more humid than January. Unless some kind of front comes through that pulls moisture away, assume anything from 60-80%, higher if we have rain. Where a week later does make a difference is in the intensity of the sun; I am not joking when I say that by April, every week picks up intensity as we head toward infernal summer. Admittedly, I'm used to the humidity here, but to me it's not the major issue - the sun is. So add that later date plus a later start and the end of the half for slower runners could be very, very warm.

ETA: I just looked at my data from last year - on April 17 I had 64* and 68% humidity at the start of the half. For the 10K I had 72* and 76% humidity. 5K was 68* and 94% humidity.

How much of a difference will the race being one week later be for the humidity?

Agreed with previous posts that it doesn't make much difference, but the difference from one day to the next can be dramatic. Last year, the 10k was pretty muggy, and would have been rough if it was any longer. The next day for the half, noticeably cooler and dryer, thank goodness. Just be prepared for anything, including oppressively humid.

Garden Rocks musical guest during Dark Side weekend is.....
  • April 21-24 – The Orchestra starring former members of ELO – “Evil Woman”
Not my thing but we could have been stuck with the Gin Blossoms. I'm kidding. Kind of.

Not my thing but we could have been stuck with the Gin Blossoms. I'm kidding. Kind of.

I'm legitimately bummed that we're missing Gin Blossoms by a week, lol.

Is it bad that all I'm thinking about for this weekend is Flower and Garden festival booths? I like the offerings for it better than Food and Wine.... Maybe we will leave on the earlier flight so we can have one more meal.

Now I'm even more disappointed that I won't be able to make it. ELO is one of my all time favorites and I saw them at Flower & Garden a few years ago. They were great! Is the whole Garden Rocks schedule released yet? I missed seeing Alan Parsons Project a couple of years back and keep hoping he'll make a reappearance.

Now I'm even more disappointed that I won't be able to make it. ELO is one of my all time favorites and I saw them at Flower & Garden a few years ago. They were great! Is the whole Garden Rocks schedule released yet? I missed seeing Alan Parsons Project a couple of years back and keep hoping he'll make a reappearance.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...cot-international-flower-and-garden-festival/
Poised to be one of the best ever, this year’s line-up shakes out like this:

• March 3-4 – Jon Secada – “Just Another Day
  • March 5-6 – Dennis DeYoung – The Music of STYX – “Grand Illusion
  • March 10-13 – The Pointer Sisters – “I’m So Excited
  • March 17-18 – Simple Plan – “Welcome to My Life” – NEW
  • March 19-20 – Plain White T’s – “Hey There Delilah
  • March 24-27 – Night Ranger – “Sister Christian
  • March 31-April 3 – Little River Band – “Reminiscing
  • April 7-10 – Blood, Sweat & Tears featuring Bo Bice – “Spinning Wheel
  • April 14-17 – Gin Blossoms – “Hey Jealousy
  • April 21-24 – The Orchestra starring former members of ELO – “Evil Woman
  • April 28-29 – Exposé – “Point of No Return” – NEW
  • April 30-May 1 – Berlin featuring Terri Nunn – “Take My Breath Away” – NEW
  • May 5-8 – STARSHIP starring Mickey Thomas – “We Built This City
  • May 12-15 – The Guess Who – “American Woman
  • May 19-22 – Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone – “I’m Henry VIII, I Am
  • May 26-29 – The Spinners – “Working My Way Back To You

Is it bad that all I'm thinking about for this weekend is Flower and Garden festival booths? I like the offerings for it better than Food and Wine.... Maybe we will leave on the earlier flight so we can have one more meal.
We haven't done Flower & Garden since 2014, so we're looking forward to it too. I like it better than Food & Wine, it's less food booths, but all the flowers & topiaries are usually pretty amazing to see. I need to check out the menus to see if there's vegetarian stuff, usually a few things at least, I know we'll want to eat around them at least once.

Oh my goodness, there is some good sounding food and drinks there. Think I might be at Epcot a lot.

oh yes!! I can vouch for the Beef Udon Noodles...soooo good. And DH LOVES the burnt ends. The specialty slushie drink in France is delicious too!

So I'm trying to figure out my training now for this race considering the state of my ankle. I went to my doctor today - surgery will be in May. Do I train just to walk the challenge to not risk further injury or try to do slow jog? I'm wearing my normal compression supportive brace (I can't run without it anymore)

So your normal ankle should only have about 30 degrees of inversion. My ankle has 90 degrees. There is no lateral ligament left attached (to be confirmed by MRI but apparently my movements and pain are 'textbook')

Fun fun fun!

Probably not a lot - all of April is generally less humid than August, more humid than January. Unless some kind of front comes through that pulls moisture away, assume anything from 60-80%, higher if we have rain. Where a week later does make a difference is in the intensity of the sun; I am not joking when I say that by April, every week picks up intensity as we head toward infernal summer. Admittedly, I'm used to the humidity here, but to me it's not the major issue - the sun is. So add that later date plus a later start and the end of the half for slower runners could be very, very warm.

ETA: I just looked at my data from last year - on April 17 I had 64* and 68% humidity at the start of the half. For the 10K I had 72* and 76% humidity. 5K was 68* and 94% humidity.

All this heat talk makes this Northerner super nervous! We lived in Texas for a couple of years (outside of Houston) so I'm familiar with humidity/heat but not a fan of running in them. When I was there we actually had a presentation at work about not running in below 32 degrees for risk of hypothermia. I laughed out loud at that. When would Minnesotans run?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter