Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

We are doing DAK on Wed night for Tiffins & ROL, but had planned to hop over to MK after ROL and riding Everest since it was open till midnight, but now 2am gives us even more time! Although since we're planning to be at the expo early I'm not sure how late we'll want to stay out. We decided to just play it by ear and see how we feel.

With time zone difference it's only 11 for me. It's the getting up east coast time I have to adjust to.

I have been debating on preordering the Dooney tote. I love it, but those extra $20 in Active fees, plus not being able to get the discount has me hesitating. I can't decide how upset I will be if it is sold out by Friday afternoon.

This run was a last minute add on for me, and I'm going to DL in May for Tinkerbell, so I'm trying not to break the budget. Haha! I'm not sure who I'm trying to kid, Disney takes all my money!

I want to preorder too but with DVC discount at park I am thinking if I get it I get it and if I don't more money for viking coffee.

With these paces you are more than on target for sub-2, just gotta watch the heat and humidity.

Heat not so bad. It's that humidity that will kill you. Anything over 20% and I'm dying.

Let's not let this get out of hand. This is NOT the real route. Anyone can create a USATF route and pick the name runDisney. The real runDisney would not post their route here.

Look here (http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=588270). I just posted a route as runDisney as well. Again, this is not the real course!

Ah, that's good to know. Sorry to freak out. I'd be sad if that was my DD's first half marathon experience.

Let's not let this get out of hand. This is NOT the real route. Anyone can create a USATF route and pick the name runDisney.

This. Someone made just to rile people up.

If you google "USATF Certified Course", it will take you to a search engine where you can search Lake Buena Vista certified courses. These are the official courses, not user submitted like the general search from the homepage of USATF.

With time zone difference it's only 11 for me. It's the getting up east coast time I have to adjust to.

Magic Kingdom is now open until midnight EST on the 19th. So EMH will have it open until 2am on the 20th EST. DAK is only open till 9:30pm EST on the 19th, hence the plan to hop over to MK after we finish up at DAK.

I come back here after work and see I missed a couple pages of discussion and thought it was something important. Not talk about a fake course map. Whoever thinks it's a funny joke to create a map like that is nuts. They couldn't make it any more obvious it's not real. A course that goes to the outside of 3 parks but not even inside them. If that was real RunDisney themselves would have lost their minds. And I'd be demanding a refund.

I really think we could be getting race info any day now. Like I said a few pages back, the Princess event guide was posted about 4 weeks out from the expo, I'm pretty sure on a Friday. Let "waiver/corral/course watch" begin!

4 Weeks till the Expo!!

When does everyone plan on going? We plan on Thursday afternoon, thinking 2:30. Merchandise isn't a priority & would rather not deal with looooong lines. Hoping maybe some characters are out/setup, but not sure how my waiting game will be then if lines are long. Vendor booths are always enjoyable although I haven't bought anything at them ever.
Ahh, 4 weeks! I plan to go on Thursday early afternoon. Not right at opening but not late either. I'm planning to go to Hollywood Studios for opening that day, do some things there, and then walk over to the Boardwalk and get their expo bus. So hopefully I'd be there around 1:00.

Can someone who's stayed at the Boardwalk for a race before tell me where the race transportation is? For some reason I'm thinking it's by the convention center.

Ahh, 4 weeks! I plan to go on Thursday early afternoon. Not right at opening but not late either. I'm planning to go to Hollywood Studios for opening that day, do some things there, and then walk over to the Boardwalk and get their expo bus. So hopefully I'd be there around 1:00.

Can someone who's stayed at the Boardwalk for a race before tell me where the race transportation is? For some reason I'm thinking it's by the convention center.
It is! Just below the regular bus stop.

Magic Kingdom is now open until midnight EST on the 19th. So EMH will have it open until 2am on the 20th EST. DAK is only open till 9:30pm EST on the 19th, hence the plan to hop over to MK after we finish up at DAK.
I would hop too if I were you. I imagine a lot of people leave after fireworks and then to stay until close not gonna happen with many. My flight if on time won't even get me there until 5, then mde to resort to drop bags and go. I estimate park arrival around 8, time for my space mountain (that's more like the Matterhorn) fastpass.

I did this back in 2012 shortly before the Wine & Dine Half. DHS closed at 8 or something and MK was open until 1:00am. I decided to head over the MK telling myself that I was helping my body adjust to being awake and active at 1:00am since the then night race was a few days later. Along the way I decided to walk right up to new Fantasyland and get as close as I could before they told me I couldn't go any further. Next thing I knew I was actually inside new Fantasyland getting to experience the new attractions.

I did this back in 2012 shortly before the Wine & Dine Half. DHS closed at 8 or something and MK was open until 1:00am. I decided to head over the MK telling myself that I was helping my body adjust to being awake and active at 1:00am since the then night race was a few days later. Along the way I decided to walk right up to new Fantasyland and get as close as I could before they told me I couldn't go any further. Next thing I knew I was actually inside new Fantasyland getting to experience the new attractions.
Think we could do that for pandora? Walk right up?

So are we taking bets on what we think the actual course will be, since we're getting close to the big reveal? I know a lot of people are leaning toward an Bear Island Rd -> Animal Kingdom -> Epcot, with possibly a sojourn through Pandora. I don't think they would send 18,000 people (and all their trash), through their shiny new park, so I'm betting no on Pandora. Reading too much into things is a great pastime, and I noticed the description reads "course through the Walt Disney World® Resort", whereas is says "course through Walt Disney World® Theme Parks" for Princess and WDW Half. (It also reads 'resort' for W&D.) Could that mean AK is out as well? Hmmm...

I am anticipating some good on-course entertainment this year, as last year's races didn't go so well for Dark Side weekend. With that in mind, one of my favorite parts of Light Side was the section in old downtown Anaheim, where the 501st and several other enthusiasts came out in costume. It was really great. IF (and that's a big if), they do up ESPN right and bring in some cool stuff, I'd actually rather have that than AK. I'm not sure I'm ready to put money on it though.

I'll miss the 10k, but I am interested to see how they flip the starts. I believe the 10k will start over on World Drive, and the half will flip to the other side of the parking lot to Floridian Way. Interesting.

Any other bold predictions for course route or potential on course goodies? (Like, Dark Vader at the finish line, please?)

So are we taking bets on what we think the actual course will be, since we're getting close to the big reveal? I know a lot of people are leaning toward an Bear Island Rd -> Animal Kingdom -> Epcot, with possibly a sojourn through Pandora. I don't think they would send 18,000 people (and all their trash), through their shiny new park, so I'm betting no on Pandora. Reading too much into things is a great pastime, and I noticed the description reads "course through the Walt Disney World® Resort", whereas is says "course through Walt Disney World® Theme Parks" for Princess and WDW Half. (It also reads 'resort' for W&D.) Could that mean AK is out as well? Hmmm...

I am anticipating some good on-course entertainment this year, as last year's races didn't go so well for Dark Side weekend. With that in mind, one of my favorite parts of Light Side was the section in old downtown Anaheim, where the 501st and several other enthusiasts came out in costume. It was really great. IF (and that's a big if), they do up ESPN right and bring in some cool stuff, I'd actually rather have that than AK. I'm not sure I'm ready to put money on it though.

I'll miss the 10k, but I am interested to see how they flip the starts. I believe the 10k will start over on World Drive, and the half will flip to the other side of the parking lot to Floridian Way. Interesting.

Any other bold predictions for course route or potential on course goodies? (Like, Dark Vader at the finish line, please?)
-Definitely agree on thinking "no" for Pandora. It would be awesome, but it would probably be too risky and get clogged up since I'd imagine a lot of people stopping to admire it. Hopefully someday it's included in a race course but after it's officially open. Maybe in time for W&D?
-I don't like you pointing out the wording of "through WDW Resort" instead of Theme Parks. That makes me nervous. They better really pump up the entertainment if they give us miles of roadways and WWOS with only about a mile of theme parks. I'd be irritated if they sacrifice a theme park for WWOS.
-I really hope Darth Vader is present for pictures somewhere! I'm still bummed I missed him at Launch Bay at Studios. They switched over to Kylo Ren shortly before my trip last spring. But based on the medal, I'm thinking Kylo Ren will be showcased more.

Think we could do that for pandora? Walk right up?
If it's not very crowded, then maybe. When I walked right up to new Fantasyland, they were holding AP/DVC previews which is why it was open at night. They also told me how to possibly land a walk up reservation at Be Our Guest during MVMCP. However, the next afternoon they let anyone wander around new Fantasyland, take pictures of new Fantasyland, but when I tried to get in line, they were only allowing AP/DVC wristband holders to get in line because of the crowds. They may have even told me I could try back later if it got less crowded, but since I had already experienced it, I didn't need to.

I will say that it can't hurt to try, but be prepared for them to tell you no. And it can't hurt to check back multiple times just in case. Just don't get your hopes up.

If it's not very crowded, then maybe. When I walked right up to new Fantasyland, they were holding AP/DVC previews which is why it was open at night. They also told me how to possibly land a walk up reservation at Be Our Guest during MVMCP. However, the next afternoon they let anyone wander around new Fantasyland, take pictures of new Fantasyland, but when I tried to get in line, they were only allowing AP/DVC wristband holders to get in line because of the crowds. They may have even told me I could try back later if it got less crowded, but since I had already experienced it, I didn't need to.

I will say that it can't hurt to try, but be prepared for them to tell you no. And it can't hurt to check back multiple times just in case. Just don't get your hopes up.
Honestly my goal this trip is to run DS challenge and see all the night shows.... and drink Viking coffee (yes I am a bit obsessed right now with the thought of Viking coffee probably lack of sleep). Anything else is just bonus.

Last year's Dark Side on-course entertainment was not very exciting. The best part was the photo lines before and after the races. They had really cool backdrops set up and lots of characters to meet. I got pictures with Vader, Boba Fett (and frozen Han Solo), Captain Phasma, and BB8.

The not knowing about the course yet is driving me nuts! Especially with the supposedly fake courses being put out there. We are 4 weeks out from Dark Side weekend - I cannot believe rD doesn't know the course yet! I'm starting to feel like this race weekend is either going to be epic (they haven't revealed anything yet because it is going to be such an awesome surprise!) OR an epic fail (sorry folks, too much construction at AK and DHS - had to re-route you guys! Hope you don't mind up and down Osceola parkway!).
We put so much faith in Disney to come through with a great race experience, and I truly hope they don't let us down!
They have to publish the course soon, right??:rolleyes1

We are 4 weeks out from Dark Side weekend - I cannot believe rD doesn't know the course yet!

They do know the course, they just aren't posting it. They don't post any courses anymore. Princess wasn't released until the event guide and that course is the same every year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter