Official Star Wars Weekends 2014 Tips and Tricks

Subscribing

This will be our first SWW! We will be coming from the Magic on May 22 - May 26. Just how bad is Memorial Day weekend?

We were there for Memorial Day Weekend this past year. It was crowded, but we were able to get almost everything we wanted. We got to DHS about 7 am, and were 3rd on line at our entry point. The show was great, and we went right over to sign up for JTA. It was great that they had CM's with signs leading the way for JTA, and PMC. The wait to sign up was about 30 minutes, and we got a 10:30 time slot.

We also got pics with almost all the characters. Most of the lines move quickly. Darth Vader was our longest wait- about 40 minutes. We skipped Mickey/Minnie, etc because those lines were just too long for us. On average we waited about 15-20 minutes for each character.

Be sure to walk around over by Pixar Place and the Backlot tour so you don't miss the Storm Troopers, Gamoarean Guards, Sand People and other "wanderers" This past year was a treat, as it marked the surprise return of Greedo - who made a 20 minute appearance right before HH. Since most people were already camped out by the stage, he barely had a line.

Word of advice... Pay attention to people around you. SWW brings out the biggest of the big Star Wars fans. These people know EVERYTHING. I got so much inside info just by listening to people in line :)

Yulilin3 - thanks so much for starting this thread up. Your info was so helpful the last couple of years we went. Looking forward to this thread - it gives me something to hold onto for the next 7 months.

We (DS and I) are planning on going again this year. Hopefully his drama camp won't be so much in the way like it was last year - which made our trip fall on Memorial Day weekend. That was crazy, and I'd really rather not do that again. I'm hoping the last weekend will fall in on 6/13-6/15 since we could make the trip overlap with my birthday. SWW has become by joint birthday/father's day present, and there's not a better present I could think of than spending SWW with my son at WDW.

It's never too early to start planning. Guess I should pick our resort and cross my fingers in hopes that there will be an AP discount since I intend to renew this year. Any suggestions?

Thank you Yulilin3 and LoKiHB for the info.

We are actually hoping to split our stuff between two days. We will do the evening show and some characters on the Saturday before the cruise and then hit up the main characters the Friday after the cruise. Right now the main interests are Darth Vader, Chewie and the parade.

Subscribing

This will be our first SWW! We will be coming from the Magic on May 22 - May 26. Just how bad is Memorial Day weekend?

This is what I want to know as well. We are debating between the 17th to the 24th or the 24 to the 31st. I don't really want to take my kiddos out of school the last week of school, but I am kind've scared about the Memorial crowds added to the Star Wars crowds.

This is what I want to know as well. We are debating between the 17th to the 24th or the 24 to the 31st. I don't really want to take my kiddos out of school the last week of school, but I am kind've scared about the Memorial crowds added to the Star Wars crowds.

It's crowded, but doable if you are willing to spend 2 days at DHS. We did Friday and Saturday. Sunday that weekend was insane.

After may ups and downs this year we finally booked our 4 night 5 day stay at Boardwalk Inn! We are calling this our SWW Quickie since we are only going to be there for one weekend this time. Originally we were going to try for the first weekend but since the guesstimation on that one is really hard this time out we are going to be there May 29th - June 2nd (May 30th - June 1st weekend). Since it is on both guesstimations date lists provided by Yulilin we figured we had a better chance of bulls-eyeing womp rats in a T16 :joker:

Yulilin: thanks for starting this thread, the info you and others provided last year was a godsend!

:cheer2: I AM SO EXCITED!!! :cheer2:

Yulilin3 - thanks so much for starting this thread up. Your info was so helpful the last couple of years we went. Looking forward to this thread - it gives me something to hold onto for the next 7 months.

We (DS and I) are planning on going again this year. Hopefully his drama camp won't be so much in the way like it was last year - which made our trip fall on Memorial Day weekend. That was crazy, and I'd really rather not do that again. I'm hoping the last weekend will fall in on 6/13-6/15 since we could make the trip overlap with my birthday. SWW has become by joint birthday/father's day present, and there's not a better present I could think of than spending SWW with my son at WDW.

It's never too early to start planning. Guess I should pick our resort and cross my fingers in hopes that there will be an AP discount since I intend to renew this year. Any suggestions?
Happy to help in anyway, as you know SWW is a favorite of ours and we still love the feeling of walking from the DHS parking lot into DHS and hearing the SW music....priceless. As for hotels it depends on your budget but it's always a good choice to stay at a Epcot Resort hotel (Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan and Dolphin) since it's walking distance and you don't have to worry about Disney transportation. But if you have your own car then any resort would be fine.
Thank you Yulilin3 and LoKiHB for the info.

We are actually hoping to split our stuff between two days. We will do the evening show and some characters on the Saturday before the cruise and then hit up the main characters the Friday after the cruise. Right now the main interests are Darth Vader, Chewie and the parade.
Sounds like a good, doable plan :thumbsup2
It depends on how well you and your family react t crowds. It is very busy but with planning and a little patience you can get a lot done.
After may ups and downs this year we finally booked our 4 night 5 day stay at Boardwalk Inn! We are calling this our SWW Quickie since we are only going to be there for one weekend this time. Originally we were going to try for the first weekend but since the guesstimation on that one is really hard this time out we are going to be there May 29th - June 2nd (May 30th - June 1st weekend). Since it is on both guesstimations date lists provided by Yulilin we figured we had a better chance of bulls-eyeing womp rats in a T16 :joker:

Yulilin: thanks for starting this thread, the info you and others provided last year was a godsend!

:cheer2: I AM SO EXCITED!!! :cheer2:

Happy to help. It looks like you picked an awesome resort. Now it's all about the planning and the little pieces of information that will start trickling in.
MTFBWY

Hello Again Fellow SWW lovers, fans and FANATICS! :wave2:

While waiting for this thread to take shape and come to stardom I have been trolling the Boardwalk Resort thread trying to gather information about the best room for our needs. HOWEVER it has occurred to me that you folks might know better than they do because what most people on that thread are concerned with is getting “the best room with a view” whereas my boyfriend and I want what everyone wants when planning a fun filled SWW rush schedule… a room with quality, comfort and convenience for SWW schedule! As you might guess, I am getting what I would call a TON of blank stares so to speak, because most of the BW resort folks don’t think of their star resort like we would.

:scratchin So I am rewinding… and now asking whom I probably should have asked in the first place… My fellow SWW nutz :rotfl:

Whom among you has ever stayed at the Boardwalk Inn side of the resort? And if you have can you help me with our priority list and give me some tips?

Our priority list is a great king size bed room that is as close/easy access to DHS walkway (we already know that BWV is closest but we wanted to say at BWI for our first time at the Boardwalk Resort). We don’t mind walking through the resort as long as we can navigate it rather well. We only reserved a standard view, not on the club/concierge level, because let’s face it, we will not be in the resort during the times that those bonuses are given/open. We might use the pool on Thursday (the day we arrive) and some breaks during the SWW but not very often if at all.

So can any of my fellow SWW nutz give us some helpful advice? I mean if we end up with a room with a view on those days we aren't at SWW would be nice, but really the view is the last thing on our list.

Thanks in advice! :worship:

The Sunrise Student or as Yulilin nicknamed me during SWW 2013 “Sunshine” :rotfl2:

Hello Again Fellow SWW lovers, fans and FANATICS! :wave2: While waiting for this thread to take shape and come to stardom I have been trolling the Boardwalk Resort thread trying to gather information about the best room for our needs. HOWEVER it has occurred to me that you folks might know better than they do because what most people on that thread are concerned with is getting “the best room with a view” whereas my boyfriend and I want what everyone wants when planning a fun filled SWW rush schedule… a room with quality, comfort and convenience for SWW schedule! As you might guess, I am getting what I would call a TON of blank stares so to speak, because most of the BW resort folks don’t think of their star resort like we would. :scratchin So I am rewinding… and now asking whom I probably should have asked in the first place… My fellow SWW nutz :rotfl: Whom among you has ever stayed at the Boardwalk Inn side of the resort? And if you have can you help me with our priority list and give me some tips? Our priority list is a great king size bed room that is as close/easy access to DHS walkway (we already know that BWV is closest but we wanted to say at BWI for our first time at the Boardwalk Resort). We don’t mind walking through the resort as long as we can navigate it rather well. We only reserved a standard view, not on the club/concierge level, because let’s face it, we will not be in the resort during the times that those bonuses are given/open. We might use the pool on Thursday (the day we arrive) and some breaks during the SWW but not very often if at all. So can any of my fellow SWW nutz give us some helpful advice? I mean if we end up with a room with a view on those days we aren't at SWW would be nice, but really the view is the last thing on our list. Thanks in advice! :worship: The Sunrise Student or as Yulilin nicknamed me during SWW 2013 “Sunshine” :rotfl2:

Ask for the type of room you want and request that it be near the elevators. The floors/corridors at BWI are really, really long and the main/only bank of elevators are in the lobby area near the Bellevue Lounge. If you had a room at the end of the corridor, you would be situated behind ESPN which would prolong your walk to get to DHS.

You can cut through the pool area to get to the walkway to DHS faster than walking along the main boardwalk walkway.

BWI is beautiful! Enjoy it and SWW!!

Ask for the type of room you want and request that it be near the elevators. The floors/corridors at BWI are really, really long and the main/only bank of elevators are in the lobby area near the Bellevue Lounge. If you had a room at the end of the corridor, you would be situated behind ESPN which would prolong your walk to get to DHS.

You can cut through the pool area to get to the walkway to DHS faster than walking along the main boardwalk walkway.

BWI is beautiful! Enjoy it and SWW!!

I already called after making online reservations to put in a request for a King Size Bed, so that I HOPE is covered. CM of course stated they can't guarantee this, which is so surprising to me that I can't be guaranteed a king size bed when I can be guaranteed a king size bed at place like a Days Inn or Motel 6!

Anyhow it's just me and my boyfriend, AND since we aren't requesting a room with a view we are wanting space in our room. Would hate to be tired (either in the weeeeee hours :coffee: of the morning trying to get ready to get in line for celebrity FPs, or around at night after we get back) and :upsidedow stumbling over things if we can help it, so SPACE is a plus!

I already called after making online reservations to put in a request for a King Size Bed, so that I HOPE is covered. CM of course stated they can't guarantee this, which is so surprising to me that I can't be guaranteed a king size bed when I can be guaranteed a king size bed at place like a Days Inn or Motel 6! Anyhow it's just me and my boyfriend, AND since we aren't requesting a room with a view we are wanting space in our room. Would hate to be tired (either in the weeeeee hours :coffee: of the morning trying to get ready to get in line for celebrity FPs, or around at night after we get back) and :upsidedow stumbling over things if we can help it, so SPACE is a plus!

When you do online check-in, put in the request for king-size bed and near the elevators. Most people also fax in their request at least a week before arrival. You can get more info from the Resorts Board and Boardwalk Thread.

The rooms are standard-size as you won't find a larger room with a king-size bed. Being that BWI is a Deluxe resort, the rooms are much larger than a moderate or value resort's. You will have plenty of room for two people.

The Bellevue Lounge will have coffee in the mornings.

Hello Again Fellow SWW lovers, fans and FANATICS! :wave2:

While waiting for this thread to take shape and come to stardom I have been trolling the Boardwalk Resort thread trying to gather information about the best room for our needs. HOWEVER it has occurred to me that you folks might know better than they do because what most people on that thread are concerned with is getting “the best room with a view” whereas my boyfriend and I want what everyone wants when planning a fun filled SWW rush schedule… a room with quality, comfort and convenience for SWW schedule! As you might guess, I am getting what I would call a TON of blank stares so to speak, because most of the BW resort folks don’t think of their star resort like we would.

:scratchin So I am rewinding… and now asking whom I probably should have asked in the first place… My fellow SWW nutz :rotfl:

Whom among you has ever stayed at the Boardwalk Inn side of the resort? And if you have can you help me with our priority list and give me some tips?

Our priority list is a great king size bed room that is as close/easy access to DHS walkway (we already know that BWV is closest but we wanted to say at BWI for our first time at the Boardwalk Resort). We don’t mind walking through the resort as long as we can navigate it rather well. We only reserved a standard view, not on the club/concierge level, because let’s face it, we will not be in the resort during the times that those bonuses are given/open. We might use the pool on Thursday (the day we arrive) and some breaks during the SWW but not very often if at all.

So can any of my fellow SWW nutz give us some helpful advice? I mean if we end up with a room with a view on those days we aren't at SWW would be nice, but really the view is the last thing on our list.

Thanks in advice! :worship:

The Sunrise Student or as Yulilin nicknamed me during SWW 2013 “Sunshine” :rotfl2:

BWI is the perfect resort for this.

When I stayed years ago we had a first floor room so our double doors opened right onto the courtyard and a walkway. We didn't even have to use the interior hallways. This would probably be something you'd have to talk to them about at check-in, but if you could manage to get a first floor room at the far end of the resort near the walkway to HS...of course as you said nothing is guaranteed, but hey whats the harm in asking?? However I would keep in mind that king bed rooms are not the majority and they will sort of be spaced over the resort, so that does limit the options a little more.

Even if you do online check-in (I will say I personally have never once gotten any of my selected options), you could still talk to them when you arrive and they are still able to change the room you were assigned. So you could try it and maybe get lucky then ask to move if not. You could also call the reservation line and have your request put on that way (this method HAS worked every time) or like pp have suggested, fax. I'd try all and hope for the best!

When you do online check-in, put in the request for king-size bed and near the elevators. Most people also fax in their request at least a week before arrival. You can get more info from the Resorts Board and Boardwalk Thread.

The rooms are standard-size as you won't find a larger room with a king-size bed. Being that BWI is a Deluxe resort, the rooms are much larger than a moderate or value resort's. You will have plenty of room for two people.

The Bellevue Lounge will have coffee in the mornings.

Yes staying in a deluxe resort we are SPOILING ourselves with more room... just take out the extra bed and :wizard: even more room :lmao: But also we picked boardwalk because it is the closest Disney resort to the walkway to DHS. We stayed at the Swan for SWW 2013 and were extremely disappointed!

Thanks for the tip about putting in the request when we do our online checking, good to know you can do that!

As far as having enough room "Sunshine" here is a whirlwind when I get ready and try and get things organized, so my poor boyfriend tries to stay out of the way when I am rushing around with my head cut off :rotfl:

BWI is the perfect resort for this.

When I stayed years ago we had a first floor room so our double doors opened right onto the courtyard and a walkway. We didn't even have to use the interior hallways. This would probably be something you'd have to talk to them about at check-in, but if you could manage to get a first floor room at the far end of the resort near the walkway to HS...of course as you said nothing is guaranteed, but hey whats the harm in asking?? However I would keep in mind that king bed rooms are not the majority and they will sort of be spaced over the resort, so that does limit the options a little more.

Even if you do online check-in (I will say I personally have never once gotten any of my selected options), you could still talk to them when you arrive and they are still able to change the room you were assigned. So you could try it and maybe get lucky then ask to move if not. You could also call the reservation line and have your request put on that way (this method HAS worked every time) or like pp have suggested, fax. I'd try all and hope for the best!

I am sad to hear that none of your online requests have been fulfilled, expecially when online reservations is where they are headed with "My Experience." I am very glad that I already called and asked a CM for a King Size Bed Room be put in as a request for our reservation... still seems funny to me that I can reserve and king size bed at a cheaper chain motel but can't do it at a deluxe Disney resort! :upsidedow

A Thrilling Chase what room number/location did you stay at?

I am hoping that if I double up on all my requests I might get at least one of them? I haven't asked for anything other than the King Size Bed yet... so we shall see.

I am sad to hear that none of your online requests have been fulfilled, expecially when online reservations is where they are headed with "My Experience." I am very glad that I already called and asked a CM for a King Size Bed Room be put in as a request for our reservation... still seems funny to me that I can reserve and king size bed at a cheaper chain motel but can't do it at a deluxe Disney resort! :upsidedow

A Thrilling Chase what room number/location did you stay at?

I am hoping that if I double up on all my requests I might get at least one of them? I haven't asked for anything other than the King Size Bed yet... so we shall see.

It was years ago so I couldn't tell you. It was closer to the boardwalk though so that specific room wouldn't help anyways.

King beds are not as prominent at disney because their target audience is a family with kids. Same goes for why the room packages default to two adults and two children and there is an upcharge for additional adults. If they have a bunch of king bed rooms open but a family of 4 is trying to book they just lost business.

It was years ago so I couldn't tell you. It was closer to the boardwalk though so that specific room wouldn't help anyways.

King beds are not as prominent at disney because their target audience is a family with kids. Same goes for why the room packages default to two adults and two children and there is an upcharge for additional adults. If they have a bunch of king bed rooms open but a family of 4 is trying to book they just lost business.

True statement on the King bed room vs making sure they have for families, I guess I am a big kid :rolleyes1 and in my book little ones under 18 aren't required for me to go visiting the WDW :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter