Official Tinker Bell Half Marathon 2012 thread

If you get swept, there is no medal. I will say though at the DL 1/2 in Sept I know a couple people that finished well after the 3 1/2 hour mark and still got their bling. So I'm not sure how strongly they enforce it or how one year differs from another.

Thanks so much for starting this thread.:banana:
I love the positive vibe it's giving off!:cool1:
4 of my nieces and 2 of my sisters are already signed up - that's after I told them they HAD to do it!
I've got one more sister to convince and then I'll sign up as well.
Most of us were already doing the Princess in 2012 also.
So this will be a lot of fun and work!
But all this exercise will keep us fit, healthy and working together for a great goal!
Can't wait!:yay:

My pleasure! :hippie: Sounds like you will have quite the family group. You will have to wear matching shirts or hats or something! :tink:

I'm seriously considering Tinker Bell. I'm glad I didn't immediately sign up for Goofy, since I'll probably do a shorter distance Marathon weekend so I can do Tink later in the month.

I'm very impressed with your PR goals for 2012! Good luck! :thumbsup2

I'm in. I LoVE Disney races! I ran my first half in Jan at WDW and already signed up for the Disneyland half and the Wine & Dine. In 2012 I think I'm going to attempt all 5 Disney races just to say I did it. So, that counts me in for this one! Plus, I just love Tinker Bell. She's my favorite.

Wow! All 5 races would be great! :cool2:

Count me in too! Haven't registered yet, waiting to see if Disney Visa sends out an email like they did for the WDW Marathon. But I'm in for both. Not 100% with the whole Tinkerbell thing, but it's DL and it's close and I love the Dis races.

Loving the idea of the 5k at night too. DL at night is so much prettier and without all the people it'll be even more fun.

Don't know who said it, but I love the idea of the NBC/Halloween idea for a race and medal. That would be so much fun.

Hopefully there will be a Disney Visa discount. I also saw one for DVC for the January WDW races. I think there is a $20 for this half if you register before a certain date in June.

I fully plan on registering, just need to get the money first!

::yes:: That is the hard part. :goodvibes

What happens when you get swept? I've read Disney's rules on it and it sounds like you're completely out of game, no medal. :sad1: With the RnR series, it seems like if you're swept, they'll drive you to the finish line and you still get a medal. So, am curious what happens with a Disney sweeping.

I am signed up to run this 1/2 as well as the Disneyland September race. Very excited. :banana:

They give you plenty of warning before you get swept. I was swept a little past mile 8 and the buses were across the road so you had no choice but to stop and get on one and they take you to the finish line. They cut off your D-tag (timer tag) and write your bib number down on a list. I did receive a medal, which I did not wear, but cherish as a momento of when I tried something totally out of my comfort zone. It was sad but the best thing was that I was able to go to the W tent and be with my friends and fellow WISH'ers. :love:

If you get swept, there is no medal. I will say though at the DL 1/2 in Sept I know a couple people that finished well after the 3 1/2 hour mark and still got their bling. So I'm not sure how strongly they enforce it or how one year differs from another.

I'm thinking they will be pretty strict on time for the DL races since so much is on city streets. There is a good explanation of how the sweeping and timing thing works and the waves in the Princess 2011 thread. I will see if I can find it and post a link.

They give you plenty of warning before you get swept. I was swept a little past mile 8 and the buses were across the road so you had no choice but to stop and get on one and they take you to the finish line. They cut off your D-tag (timer tag) and write your bib number down on a list. I did receive a medal, which I did not wear, but cherish as a momento of when I tried something totally out of my comfort zone. It was sad but the best thing was that I was able to go to the W tent and be with my friends and fellow WISH'ers. :love:

Forgive me but what does W.I.S.H. stand for? Sorry I don't know!

And thanks for explaining what happened when you were swept. I think it's one of my worst fears. I'm currently training at about a 12-14 minute mile so I would feel better if I could close that gap to a 10-12 minute mile! I'm running the Disneyland 1/2 in September so I have some time to get ready.

I think I have 2-3 other friends jumping on the bandwagon to do the 1/2 marathon also. This will be all of our 1st. Were not really doing it for time just to say weve DONE IT. So anyone thats done it before how is it with taking pics with the charachters... LOL Im a total pic nut especially when it comes to characters! (plus being my 1st 1/2 marathon I will need a few breaks LOL)

any info on it would be great from an insider!

Looks like I will be going Coast to Coast in January. I have already signed up for the 1/2 in WDW and have DVC reservations too. My friend's favorite character is Tink. She signed up yesterday. Certainly I can't let her go alone! What kind of friend would I be??:rotfl2:

I will be registering as soon as I get back from the Kentucky Derby miniMarathon next weekend.

Sounds like this is going to be a great event!

Hi,
I am kind of new here. I am a DVC member, and a former WDW prof. intern. When I have been to the site, I am usually on other threads.

Anyway - I started working out recently - and my goal was the Princess 1/2 in February next year. The idea of accomplishing something so beyond my current state seemed like a dream -- but it has kept me motivated. Now - the Tinkerbell has been announced!

I have told several others about the Princess - and I might have a group of people joining me. (At least two others - but may be as much as 6 others).

Is it possible to do both half marathons - when they are a month apart?

My pace is about 18 min/mile from a 5K that I did last week. I am very afraid of getting "swept." I also plan on do the Bolder Boulder 10K in May -- put will be run/walking -- mostly walking still. I still am very new.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I just do the Princess since I have a group for that? Or could I do both and get the C2C medal?

thanks!

Melody

Hi,
I am kind of new here. I am a DVC member, and a former WDW prof. intern. When I have been to the site, I am usually on other threads.

Anyway - I started working out recently - and my goal was the Princess 1/2 in February next year. The idea of accomplishing something so beyond my current state seemed like a dream -- but it has kept me motivated. Now - the Tinkerbell has been announced!

I have told several others about the Princess - and I might have a group of people joining me. (At least two others - but may be as much as 6 others).

My pace is about 18 min/mile from a 5K that I did last week. I am very afraid of getting "swept." I also plan on do the Bolder Boulder 10K in May -- put will be run/walking -- mostly walking still. I still am very new.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I just do the Princess since I have a group for that? Or could I do both and get the C2C medal?

thanks!

Melody

Hi Melody!
I'll share my experience since I'm a newbie myself. I began running last August with the Couch to 5k program. My first race was in November 2010, I did a 10k. Then I did another 10k and then a 12k in December. In January, I ran my first half marathon. My chip time was 3:11:37. Not bad for a first timer, I was just happy to start and finish. That said, after my 1/2 marathon, I took 13 days off from running since I had read to recover, for every mile you ran, you should rest 1 day. It was difficult, at best, to get back in to running after my 1/2 marathon, not gonna lie. My body just didn't want to cooperate. As a 1st timer, I don't think it's advised to do 1/2 marathons within a month of each other. But that's not to say that people don't do it.

At this point, just concentrate on your training. As you work on your training, the speed will come. Right now, your body just needs to adjust to the demands running places on it. You'll soon find that you get stronger and faster as you progress in your training!

As far as getting swept, I hear you on that one! That's all I could think about when I did my first 1/2 in January - getting caught by the slow bus. My friends and I had a good laughing fit about the slow bus being on my heels and me trying to outrun it. :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao: Fortunately, that didn't happen! Even though I know I can finish within the allotted time for Disney, I still worry about it.

Thank you Jac for the reply! I appreciate your insight and experience. I will keep everyone posted on how it is going!

Like some of the others on the site - I am not crazy with the Tinkerbell them. However, I love the idea of an inaugural medal for my inaugural half marathon.

Reading the posts is great motivation!

Hi everyone,
I signed up yestereday for the race right after the announcement. I'm not a big Tink fan but I am SO happy to get another race here at DL. I'm also excited to participate in a race geared towards women. Having it at DL is also easier than traveling to WDW, just get on I 5 and head south.

DH and I do the DL 1/2 every year together so this is the first race I will be running without him by my side. So he and our little mouseketeer will be cheering me on throughout the race course. I'm familiar with parts of the course but we will actually drive ck out the course out side of the parks when we are back at DL in two weeks.

About the 3 1/2 hr "sweep" .....the clock for the sweep officially starts when the last runner crosses the start line. So for the 16 min walkers. you actually have more time especially if you are at the front of your corral.

If the entertainment is anything like the DL 1/2 we are all in for a great time.

It's so great to see so many people excited about this race! :tink:

Oh!!! I like that!! :love: I'm in! Think I found a new "home" thread!!

The WISH boards have some of the nicest people on them! :goodvibes

Looks like I will be going Coast to Coast in January. I have already signed up for the 1/2 in WDW and have DVC reservations too. My friend's favorite character is Tink. She signed up yesterday. Certainly I can't let her go alone! What kind of friend would I be??:rotfl2:

I will be registering as soon as I get back from the Kentucky Derby miniMarathon next weekend.

Sounds like this is going to be a great event!

Good luck and have a great time at the Derby marathon next week-end. :thumbsup2 There is a group of WISH'ers who will be there.

Hi,

thanks!

Melody

I think that you could do both marathons and get a C2C medal. That is what I am hoping to do, too. If you are at 18 min/mile now you should be able to increase your pace to be within the Disney pace by early next year. I think it would be fun to do both! princess: :tink:

Thank you Jac for the reply! I appreciate your insight and experience. I will keep everyone posted on how it is going!

Like some of the others on the site - I am not crazy with the Tinkerbell them. However, I love the idea of an inaugural medal for my inaugural half marathon.

Reading the posts is great motivation!

::yes::

Hi everyone,
I signed up yestereday for the race right after the announcement. I'm not a big Tink fan but I am SO happy to get another race here at DL. I'm also excited to participate in a race geared towards women. Having it at DL is also easier than traveling to WDW, just get on I 5 and head south.

DH and I do the DL 1/2 every year together so this is the first race I will be running without him by my side. So he and our little mouseketeer will be cheering me on throughout the race course. I'm familiar with parts of the course but we will actually drive ck out the course out side of the parks when we are back at DL in two weeks.

About the 3 1/3 hr "sweep" .....the clock for the sweep officially starts when the last runner crosses the start line. So for the 16 min walkers. you actually have more time especially if you are at the front of your corral.

If the entertainment is anything like the DL 1/2 we are all in for a great time.

Can't wait to hear what you find when you drive the course soon! :yay: Glad to hear that there is lots of entertainment in the off-site portions of the course.

Well it's not 100 percent official - but it's looking like this race is a real, real possibility for me. I haven't been to LA in a while, and I haven't been to Disneyland in even longer! I like the timing of this race much better than the Disneyland Half, which is right smack in the middle of fall marathon training. I'm thinking fly Thurs, spend the weekend in Anaheim to do the parks and the races, and then Monday check out and move to a more central LA hotel so I can spend a few days visiting friends, eating at great restaurants, a bit of sightseeing, shopping and just all around being fabulous!

I just need to make sure me and the boy can get the days off of work, we can get all the finances together, plan logistics, etc but I am starting to get excited. What a great way to kick off the 2012 racing season

YAY! I'm glad someone started this thread. I registered as soon as I saw the announcement on Facebook! The 2011 Princess was my first half marathon, and I'm also registered for 2011 DL half and 2011 Wine&Dine half. Looks like I'll be running the Tinkerbell solo since it's 2 weeks after the Houston Marathon that my BF is running...but he'll be there cheering all of us on! I was excited too to see that this race will have a different course from the DL half. :woohoo:

I think I have 2-3 other friends jumping on the bandwagon to do the 1/2 marathon also. This will be all of our 1st. Were not really doing it for time just to say weve DONE IT. So anyone thats done it before how is it with taking pics with the charachters... LOL Im a total pic nut especially when it comes to characters! (plus being my 1st 1/2 marathon I will need a few breaks LOL)

any info on it would be great from an insider!

Congrats on registering for your first 1/2 marathon. I'm sure you and your friends will have loads of fun. Throughout the race you'll have various entertainment and characters to stop and take pictures with. I should warn you that the character lines for taking pictures can be long and I'm sure you don't want to get picked up for not maintaining the required pace.

My friend and I are signing up for the 5K but our husbands will be bravely running as the minority sex for a change in the 1/2 marathon. My dh has 3 girls so he is used to being outnumbered and he loves DL and really wants to run an innaugural race. I would have considered walking the half but I have knee issues and the nighttime 5k sounds fun :thumbsup2

Thanks for creating the thread!

Lisah--thanks for your comments on my PR goals! I know I can do it, as long as I stay healthy this year. Going for a PR at my next Half on May 15th!

Lisah--thanks for your comments on my PR goals! I know I can do it, as long as I stay healthy this year. Going for a PR at my next Half on May 15th!

Obviously pace calculators can be off (If i plug in my info I should run a 4:15 full, and ha. ha. ha. If i run 4:30 I will be thrilled), but anyways if you plug in your 5k time you should be at 2:05 HM - either way, you definitely should be on pace for a big PR in May if the weather cooperates

http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html

I've taken about a minute off my pace per mile and I'm all running now before I was run walking.

I had decided in 2013 I would do the Princess 1/2 to celebrate my 45th, but when they announced the Tinkerbell I decided to go for it. I have only done one 1/2 and that was Disneyland 2008. I have totally gotten out of shape since then; so I am hoping this will get me back on track!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter