Oh Lord, what's Eddie gonna do? He went to Disney and Universal too! Updated! 1/19/10

Margaritaville is my favorite! My dh and ds just accept they will be eating there. :)

It sounds like you were off to a great start at Universal.

Maria :upsidedow

It's a great place and we ate about 3 times. I enjoyed it more than I did Bubba Gumps and it was cheaper too. Truthfully, it was better than my dinner at Mythos too, which sadly wasn't up to par for us this trip.

They have a kids steak that both my sons loved and the Cheeseburger in Paradise is awesome. The Volcano nachos made a perfect snack for us one day when my wife and I were looking for a quick lunch. When I go back again one day, it will be my main choice for lunch. I don't care for some of the food options in the parks and that goes for WDW parks too.

What a great first day!!!

Um, parrots? REAL parrots :faint::scared1:

Actually the parrots are quite tame and very friendly. Some of them are 25 to almost 40 years old, this according to the handler. It's a toursit money making operation. but it's Orlando after all and it's to be expected. Looking back, it was kind of cool and the photo is good for the memories.

Sounds like a great start! I loved to see the pictures with the birds. My ds will be all over that! Keep it coming or should I say..... Aye Aye Captian Eddie :lmao:

i've been "advertising" the Eddie trippie to some newbies.
they were interested in learning about RPH ......

your pics are great...:worship:

Thank you very much and more is comming tonight. I got all of my notes and pictures ready for the next installment. When I get back from the movies with my kids, I'll knock out a big chunk of it.

Yep, fantastic trip report. And a lovely family as well.

As we made our way back to the resort from having a very nice time at Jimmy Buffets, we were definitely feeling run down and in need of a full nights rest. Good thing we had only a few hours in IOA because the events of the day and moving from Disney to Universal was tiring. Plus with EMH at MK the day before, we really didn't get that much sleep. I have to say every time I pulled into the dock at the RPR and made our way through out the resort, I always enjoyed the scenery, sounds, and smells of the Royal Pacific resort. Sure it was little walk from our room to the boat dock, but the hotel was so beautiful it reminded me how important a beautifully themed hotel can be to a Universal or Disney vacation. I know some will say you only need a room for showering and sleeping because you're in the parks all day, I have to disagree though and the RPR really proved my theory correct. Moving on...

As we entered our room and just sat down to relax before swimming, it gave us a real chance to look things over. The room was on the small side and not much room at all to spread out, but had a good quality about it and gave off a good, comfortable vibe.The flat screen TV was a nice touch too.

la-chambre.jpg

After having ice cold beer or two from my portable, styrofoam mini bar;) and getting everyone ready to go swimming, we were off to the pool. I have to say the pool at the RPR looks great in pictures and looks better even in person. The pool was hopping and a DJ was playing assorted music from the 80's and we found 4 lounge chairs and settled in. I remember hearing the Will Smith song "Summertime" as we walked in and it made me laugh.

Here's Sam enjoying his favorite beverage in the whole world, Dr Pepper. It can be hard to find in some areas, especially WDW, and we try and bring along wherever we go. When he gets into a autistic meltdown, I find a Kit Kat which is another of his favorites and a Dr Pepper, can soothes the savage beast, as I like to say. I guess it would be like a cigarette to a smoker.

ry%3D400

Here's the view from our chairs.

ry%3D400

Here's the kid splash area and is pretty damn cool, IMHO. I liked this rather than a pool slide and was easier to keep track of your kids than them being on a slide.

ry%3D400

We lost track of time in that pool and I traveled along the edge of the whole thing to check it out. This pool was huge and was heated nicely with no strong chlorine smell. It was deeper in some areas and shallow in others. in essence, it had something for everyone and there was pool toys to be had at where the towels were handed out.

ry%3D400

My kids had a blast and it was very relaxing. Before you knew it, it was getting dark and time to go. We made our way up the room and damn near collapsed due to exhaustion. After resting awhile, I knew that we should eat something light because I didn't want anyone complaining they were hungry when it came time to go to bed. My wife kind of fought me on this, but could see the kids needed something. I agreed with her that we didn't want to do something big and didn't want to leave the hotel either.

So after cleaning up and getting some comfy clothes on we decided to check out Jake's American Bar which is right next to the Islands dining room. We got a table off to the side of the bar and there was a few families doing the same as us. I have to say that I found Jake's a neat bar with plenty of theming and has great food for snacking or if you just want a little something different. My wife and I split the Cobb salad and the thing was huge! It had chicken, bacon, bleu cheese, avocado and a ton ranch dressing on the side. I don't know how one person could eat the entire thing, but it was perfect for the two us. The kids had the hamburger and fries and I told the waitress to just make Sam's like a mini steak and leave the bun off. It was a great, affordable meal, tasted good, and was in a neat setting. You really notice how the Disney dining plan has affected the quality and choices of food at WDW, when you eat outside their property.On a side note: My pictures inside of Jake's didn't turn out so well, but this one I'm posting was identical to mine, but not as fuzzy and out of focus.:lmao:

I just wanted anyone who is new to the RPR to get a feel for what Jake's looks like inside. Very cool inside and I found the theming to be excellent!

royalpacific_dl_01.jpg

Well after a great meal it was time for us to go to bed and start our first full day at USO.

We love Jake's!:thumbsup2

I became a fan of it as well and the South Seas type of theming from the early 1940's was great. Good food and the outdoor section right across from the entrance doors seem like a perfect spot to enjoy a drink and just take it all in.

I love your pics of the pool. I didn't know there was a kids area at the pool! My DS is going to LOVE it!:yay::yay:

Eddie, I just came across your TR. I won a 7 day Superbowl US/IOA pass too, and just did the online purchase for the rest of the family. Much easier on the budget than WDW tix. I really appreciate you giving so much detail and pix about the resort there. It really looks beautiful. We're DVC'rs, and are staying at OKW in June. However, I'd love to spend a few days at RPR, based on what you've said!! The pool is rocking!! Also, Jake's looks like a quiet corner to grab a meal.

Our younger dd has ASD too. She's nearly 4, and our lives are a mixture of challenging and funny. I can relate to hunting down special snacks etc.

Really enjoying your report. I agree with many of your thougths on the Poly. We love the Poly but the rates are getting out of hand, many compare the RPR to a Disney moderate but I disagree. Yes, the room size is small but from what I remember the quality if a step above a moderate at Disney and it has location which is what gives the Poly such a huge edge but $200+ more per night than the RPR.

Love the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 2007 we literally went directly from POFQ to RPR. There was no comparison. We felt like we had left the bargain hotel for the deluxe. The toiletries alone were of a much higher quality! We were not overly comfortable at the pool area at POFQ because there wasn't any shade, no tables, etc. RPR seemed like an oasis. We ordered food from the Bula Bar, we really relaxed, and ds preferred the kids play area to the small slide. I've stayed at almost every Disney moderate (except CBR), and the only one which was comparable was CSR, and that was only because we were in an upgraded room -- the actual hotel amenities and themeing were nicer at RPR, at least in my opinion.

I became a fan of it as well and the South Seas type of theming from the early 1940's was great. Good food and the outdoor section right across from the entrance doors seem like a perfect spot to enjoy a drink and just take it all in.
Jakes is such a great place and like you said the food is outstanding and when we are there my youngest DS got a kick out of seeing the simpsons charcters passing by to go to the Island Dining room

Love the pictures. The theme of the rooms and restaurant are great! Love the pool! Can't wait to read more!

I am looking forward to reading :surfweb: more about your trip. Great Job :thumbsup2

:banana:Awesome trip report. I've been reading it in small chuncks. I'm at OT for a school system & have tons of IEP's to get done before 6/12, so not much spare time these days. Anyway, this trip report has been my little piece of heaven :cloud9:each day. We're headed to RPR for the first time as soon as school is out, so I've been savoring the sneek peak you've given me. Can't wait to read more!

PS - Awesome pics - what kind of camera do you have?

Does universal do anything to accomodate special needs guests like Disney does?

Great Trip report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter