• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

'Ohana - dinner 8/17

sistertrip

DIS Veteran
I've been wanted to try 'Ohana the last couple of trips but never made it. We finally got there this trip, and I was not disappointed!

First of all, the service was super friendly. Of course, I guess that's the point of the restaurant.

We pretty much enjoyed all of the starters, which came out as our server was taking our drink order. The salad was really good, as were the chicken wings. I really liked the wontons, but I didn't like any of the dipping sauces (the rest of my party did like the sauces). The only thing we didn't eat a lot of were the shrimp. They tasted all right, but personally I don't like taking the shell off the shrimp - kind of turns me off. The rest of my group doesn't really like shrimp in the first place. For some reason, we really LOVED the potatoes (scalloped). I think it was the only thing we asked for more of.

After we had pretty much finished with the above, the skewers came out. They gave us each HUGE (I mean, could have each been their own meal huge) portions of beef and pork, so when the turkey and sausage came out (just minutes later), we knew to ask for small portions. I loved the pork and steak, though they were a little too seasoned for my aunt's taste. Not a big sausage and turkey fan, but they were good as far as sausage and turkey go.

The only thing that could have made the meal better would have been to kind of adjust the timing of the dishes. The potatoes and veggies would have been better off coming about the same time as the skewers, rather than with the salad, wings, and wontons. By the time the skewers came, we had pretty much had all we wanted of the potatoes and veggies, which really would have been nice as sides. The way it was timed, if we hadn't eaten the veggies and potatoes when they came, they would have been cold by the time the skewers arrived. Granted, they would have brought us more if we had asked, but we were getting pretty full.

Oh, can't forget the dessert. The bread pudding was phenomenal! If we weren't so full, we would have gotten more.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. This is a must~go for us every trip!!

We are trying to decide whether to make a reservation for Ohana's. We have a son who is a picky eater. Did you see anyone with children like ours order a regular meal? If so, what was it. Thanks.

Lynn

Glad you liked it. My family and I loved it, too. Since you liked it so much, you might like these:

Honey Coriander Chicken Wings
from 'Ohana, Polynesian

Serves: 6 to 8

For the wing seasoning:
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground paprika
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

5 pounds chicken wings and drumettes
2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil

For the coriander wing sauce:
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Cover a cookie sheet in foil and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.

Make wing seasoning by placing all ingredients (through cayenne pepper) in a small bowl and using a whisk to incorporate.

Put the chicken and 2 tablespoons of wing seasoning in a large bowl. Add enough oil to coat the chicken evenly and mix well with your hands.

Spread the seasoned chicken in a single layer on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.

Meanwhile, place all wing sauce ingredients in a large saute pan and bring them to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat. Cook and stir until thickened.

Using tongs, transfer the cooked wings into the sauce.

Maui Scalloped Potato
from 'Ohana, Polynesian Resort
Yield: 1 ¼ lb.
1 lb. 70 count Idaho Russet potato (washed and sliced)
1 cup Heavy cream
¼ cup Cheddar cheese
2 TBSP Parmesan cheese
¼ cup Sweet onions
1 tsp Kosher salt
¼ tsp Black pepper

Combine all ingredients.
Place in a greased 2” hotel pan and bake at 350 ° Fahrenheit for one (1) hour.
Let stand for five (5) minutes before cutting.
Serve hot.

'Ohana Bread Pudding with Banana Foster Sauce
from 'Ohana, Polynesian Resort

Yield: 1 – 10” cake

Bread Pudding:

5 whole Eggs
3 cups Whole milk
½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Nutmeg, ground
1 tsp. Cinnamon, ground
1 ½ cups Sugar
½ cup Raisins
8 cups Bread, cut in medium pieces

In a bowl, mix eggs, milk, salt, cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, and raisins. Set aside.

Cut bread in medium pieces, place on cookie sheet pan and put in a 325ºF oven.

Bake bread until lightly toasted, about 15 minutes.

Remove bread and place in egg and milk mixture.

Place mixture in a greased 10” cake pan and bake on 325ºF for 1 hour.

Caramel Sauce:

4 oz Sugar, granulated
4 oz Brown sugar
4 oz Corn syrup, light Karo
4 oz Butter, unsalted
1 cup Heavy cream
1 tsp. Vanilla extract

Combine sugars, corn syrup, butter and half of the heavy cream in a large pan. Bring to a boil and slowly add remaining heavy cream keeping mixture at a steady boil.

Candy will brown slightly; cook (3 minutes) until candy forms into a firm ball in cold water.

Remove from heat and add the vanilla.

Banana Foster Sauce

Yield: 1 quart

4 oz. Sugar
4 oz. Brown Sugar
4 oz Corn Syrup
4 oz. Unsalted Butter
1 cup Heavy Cream
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup Spiced Rum
1 cup Bananas (sliced)

Combine sugars, corn syrup, butter and half of the heavy cream in a large pan.

Bring to a boil and slowly add remaining heavy cream keeping mixture at a steady boil.

Add spiced rum and flambé.

Candy will brown slightly; cook 3 minutes until candy forms into a firm ball in cold water.

Remove from heat and add the vanilla.

Add sliced bananas.

Serve warm.

Thanks for the review, Sistertrip . . . and many thanks for the recipes, Pilferk. :thanks:

Glad you enjoyed it. This is one of the sweetpea's fave places for dinner. We can't wait to go back.

lynn46356 said:
We are trying to decide whether to make a reservation for Ohana's. We have a son who is a picky eater. Did you see anyone with children like ours order a regular meal? If so, what was it. Thanks.

Lynn

Aloha cousin, (its how you greet everyone there)
I just ate there this week, I saw kids with chicken strips and fries, mac and cheese too!!
I highly recommend it.....just a great environment for kids....they get to learn Hawaiian dance, have a coconut race around the restaurant. They have a huge sno-cone in a bucket dessert for the kids...
Its a must for us every trip, we have 3 kids....we started eating there when they were 6,7,10
GO!!

Thanks for the review..we have a reservation for our upcoming trip and I am really looking fwd to it. Do you know if they had kid options or not? we have 3 kids with us, ages 4, 3 and the birthday boy who will be 1...so i was just wondering :goodvibes

nevermind..just read the post above mine and got an answer :rotfl:

Thanks for sharing your review! :thumbsup2

We will experience 'Ohana for our first time in December as well. We can't wait!

Mspdieselbear, thanks for the childrens menu. I just had my DH look at the menu and he have me the :thumbsup2 so I'll be making ADR for there. Only one more ADR to figure it. Yeah! It so much fun trying to plan where to eat. I really have a hard time making my mind up. :) I've never been to the Poly. I can't wait to see it. Again, Thanks Much!

sistertrip said:
I think it was the only thing we asked for more of...
Oh, can't forget the dessert. The bread pudding was phenomenal! If we weren't so full, we would have gotten more...

i was wondering if they charge u extra for asking for more food. :confused3 if i am on the dining plan would the seconds have to be payed out of my own pocket or would the dining plan take care of it?(by the way the bread pudding sounds yummy got to remember to get some :love: )

qanita92 said:
i was wondering if they charge u extra for asking for more food. :confused3 if i am on the dining plan would the seconds have to be payed out of my own pocket or would the dining plan take care of it?(by the way the bread pudding sounds yummy got to remember to get some :love: )

"Ohana is an all you care to eat experience. Go ahead and ask for seconds or thirds of anything :thumbsup2

Ohana's has thr BEST Breakfast Too!! It is an all you can eat character with Lilo & Stich They have food to please everyone. Also if you plan your dinner reservation right you can see the fireworks from the MK Enjoy !!! :cool1:

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter