Ohana .. give me the good, the bad, and the ugly

yes it is teriyaki, no it is no more sweet than typical terikyaki, if you like terikyaki you'll like the marinade... it's not overpowering

We eat teriyaki and this sauce was nothing like teriyaki. It was overly sweet as others mentioned.

We’ve had excellent experiences at ‘Ohana for breakfast every time. We have never had dinner there. We are staying at the Poly so we got an ADR for dinner there. After reading all of the wonderful and terrible dining experiences, I really hope we are there on one of their wonderful nights. I would love to come back here and post a great review.

We eat teriyaki and this sauce was nothing like teriyaki. It was overly sweet as others mentioned.
The original Japanese teriyaki is made with ...soy, mirin and sugar. The proportions, forms of sweetener and wine used have changed as it moved across the world, historically and culturally. Wouldn't be surprised if pineapple juice was used as a sugar substitute in parts of Hawaiian cuisine.

The original Japanese teriyaki is made with ...soy, mirin and sugar. The proportions, forms of sweetener and wine used have changed as it moved across the world, historically and culturally. Wouldn't be surprised if pineapple juice was used as a sugar substitute in parts of Hawaiian cuisine.

I just wish that you can get the meat without whatever sauce they put on it. Maybe you can and our servers where just jerks about it. Anyone know?

I just wish that you can get the meat without whatever sauce they put on it. Maybe you can and our servers where just jerks about it. Anyone know?
I don't recall if they marinate the meat ahead of time and/or glaze it while cooking but bet if you requested it grilled with no seasoning they'd do that with enough prior notice. Then you could self season or not as you prefer. I'd give the WDW mspecial dietary number a call.

The meats are skewered and start marinading the day before you eat them. You can ask for no additional sauce to be put on while they are cooking at the grill.

I made an Ohana breakfast ressie in June for my Epcot day. We have breakfast at 7:30 AM and then will head to the TTC to get right to Epcot (hopefully) for park opening. The breakfast is just so fun with all of the characters. My favorite part is when the characters hand out maraccas to all of the kiddies and they go around singing (my all time FAVE song) Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride! It is so cute and we love the classic luau pics with Lilo! Certainly reccomend, I mean where else can you get stitch waffles?!

I made an Ohana breakfast ressie in June for my Epcot day. We have breakfast at 7:30 AM and then will head to the TTC to get right to Epcot (hopefully) for park opening. The breakfast is just so fun with all of the characters. My favorite part is when the characters hand out maraccas to all of the kiddies and they go around singing (my all time FAVE song) Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride! It is so cute and we love the classic luau pics with Lilo! Certainly reccomend, I mean where else can you get stitch waffles?!
TTC to Epcot is an express piece of cake.
Don't know if you've done that run before but if not sit on the righthand side so you can look at Future World from above......just delightful.

We ate at Ohana in December and last week. Loved it both times. The only issue we ran into is they were stingy with the veggies both times. I asked for more veggies only and got a bowl full of wings and noodles. Twice! Next trip in July I am going to try asking at the start of the meal.

We ate at Ohana in December and last week. Loved it both times. The only issue we ran into is they were stingy with the veggies both times. I asked for more veggies only and got a bowl full of wings and noodles. Twice! Next trip in July I am going to try asking at the start of the meal.
That is my only complaint about the noodle dish- not enough veggies. I tend to add the un-dressed salad into the noodles when we get it via room service but not sure when they serve the salad at the restaurant.

My kids and I went a couple of trips ago and thought the whole entire meal was sweet. I like sweets for dessert but not with my regular food. The salad dressing was sweet, the bread was sweet, the wings were sweet, the noodles were sweet, the dipping sauces were sweet... It was not our favorite at all.

I’m one of those who don’t “get” ‘Ohana. I saved for years to be able to stay at the Poly, so the setting wasn’t part of the equation. Waited forever, restaurant and bar area were jam packed, and the food was good but nothing special. It’s potstickers, noodles, and grilled meat like you can get at a typical Asian chain restaurant. Lots of similar quality items at the Poly quick service. I do agree with trying it for yourself, keep expectations low, and make an evening out of it...dole whip, fireworks, beach, etc.

We have been there several times and absolutely love it! We always do this on a full day at MK. It's a nice break from the park as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter