Ohana vs Hoop-de-doo

M&M2017

Earning My Ears
Looking to have a fun dinner near MK after a park day. Currently booked for dinner at ohana. We’ve never been and want to, but I’ve seen a lot of recent posts with “meh” reviews. Meanwhile all the hoop de doo reviews are solid. This option would mean taking the boat too which sounds fun. Appreciate any input on the two places! I realize they’re not similar at all.

I enjoyed Hoop-Dee-Doo so much in November that I'm going again next month. It's so so fun and a dinner show is something not available many other places.

Pro tip: Ask for the smoked chicken because it is SO good. I am trying not to eat fried foods when I can help it and this was the substitution for it and it was great!

HDD is our 4th of July eating spot with food that’s difficult to get wrong even if the cornbread has a bit too much sugar for my taste on the other hand the man and kids like it fine. The boat ride from MK is just a cherry atop the sundae 🙂.

Save some money and opt for second tier seating.You’ll see everything with no blind spots.

I have no issues with ‘Ohana but just find Hoop easier to get reservations.

Direct comparison on our last trip. Did both a day or two apart. I paid MORE at 'Ohana and had a not great experience. 180 degrees at HDD. This next trip we're not doing 'Ohana for the first time in all these years it turned me off that much. But I made sure we got our HDD res! I think you can tell what I recommend! Just do yourself a favor and leave way more time to get there than you think you'll need.

I would pick HDD if I had to pick one. I love the salad and the cornbread so really have to control myself so that I still have room for the real food. And the strawberry shortcake!

Thanks for the input everyone! This thread is pretty unanimous on HDD. If anyone else has taken the boat from from MK to HDD please let me know any tips. I took last took that boat in 1983 when my family stayed at Fort Wilderness! Also, any advice on the 4:00 vs 6:00? I assume food does not come out straight away so if you book the 4:00 it won't be a somewhat regular dinner time?

Add me to the chorus of voices praising HDD as the superior experience. My kids LOVED it (and so did I). It's a hoot, it's a holler, it's a water jamboree! (Wait, that was River Country...)

Thanks for the input everyone! This thread is pretty unanimous on HDD. If anyone else has taken the boat from from MK to HDD please let me know any tips. I took last took that boat in 1983 when my family stayed at Fort Wilderness! Also, any advice on the 4:00 vs 6:00? I assume food does not come out straight away so if you book the 4:00 it won't be a somewhat regular dinner time?

The boat is easy-peasy, and Pioneer Hall is very close to the boat dock. You shouldn't have any issues at all finding it.

Food service starts fairly quickly once you're seated. I wouldn't say you're rushed, but also don't expect that you'll be served your main course at 5PM.

Remember they have to feed you, get you out, clean everything up, and set up for the next guests to come in!

Oh the first course (cornbread and salad) comes RIGHT away so book a time that you're ready to chow down! It is coursed and come throughout the 75 minute experience.

And the boat is super easy from MK! Just take it over to the Fort and HDD is a 2 minute walk!

Another one saying the boat from MK is the way to go. Very short walk from dock to HDD but if you drive have to park in front of campground and take internal bus to other end of campground. Could walk but it is about a mile walk. And take bus back to your car. Make sure you allow time to wait for next boat in case you just miss the boat. Granted you can but it is about 15 minutes to get one way on bus. Food comes out at beginning of show as people will be waiting to come in as you are leaving at 4.

One thing I didn't realize is that the doors to the theater don't open till your allotted time. I had thought that 6pm was showtime so we needed to be seated before 6pm. You do have to check in and get your ticket with your table number but we had a lot of time to just chill out. There is also a small stand selling adult beverages outside the theater. They open the doors at 6 and you head to your table where your waiter will quickly take your drink orders and drop off the cornbread and salad.

Another one saying the boat from MK is the way to go. Very short walk from dock to HDD but if you drive have to park in front of campground and take internal bus to other end of campground. Could walk but it is about a mile walk. And take bus back to your car. Make sure you allow time to wait for next boat in case you just miss the boat. Granted you can but it is about 15 minutes to get one way on bus. Food comes out at beginning of show as people will be waiting to come in as you are leaving at 4.
How is the boat from the Contemporary?

How is the boat from the Contemporary?
It’s fine, starts running at 3, I think, so probably in time for the 4 PM HDD show. I’m not sure of the circuit, though - I think it’s CR to WL to FW but might be CR to FW to WL. It leaves from the CR marina, a convenient walk from BLT but not from MK.

Hoop Dee Doo is so fun. And for the price you get a good meal and fun show! We hadn’t gone in over 20 years and went last year and it was so fun we were annoyed with ourselves for waiting so long. Such a great classic Disney experience

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter