Ok WDW experts ...

LeanneDownUnder

Mouseketeer
Planning a trip for two adults (mum and daughter) to to WDW in Nov/Dec 2017. We haven't been to WDW since 2000 but have had 2 trips to DL since then. The World seems so much harder to navigate.
So we are planning on 10 days and staying on site but thats about all I know at this stage ... Where do I start, the big forum is just so ... BIG ... Any hints or tips or suggestions, a place to start the planning process?

Thanks

Congrats on having a trip in the works! Sounds great.

Do you know which resort you want to stay at? That's always a good spot to start. Once you pick your resort and decide if you want dining or not.
Then booking it in. With the timeframe involved, you can wait to see if there are any deals for your dates.
There's also dining. Lots of options at the World!
You can also start looking at your touring plan for which parks on which days, and working out what attractions you want to hit.

If you are staying onsite, keep up to date on disboards , you might be lucky to score free dining or a room discount.
I decided how many days we were staying, then decided what parks, I suggest you visit the 4, then decided what resturants we wanted to eat, you can look at them all and the menus and prices on the WDW site.
I then just did a plan day by day, for 10 days, you would probably want 2 at MK, 1 at Epcot, HS & AK.
You should also visit Disney Springs , from there you can get a cab to the Vineland Outlets.
Nov/Dec they might have the Xmas decorations appearing, so a visit to some of the other resorts is recommended.
You can also visit Keneedy Space Centre and do a airboat tour.
Don't forget to add in the free day, you will need it.
Exciting for you.

Thanks for the replies!
As far as resorts, still a little undecided and happy for recommendations! I was looking at Port Orleans French Quarter and Port Orleans Riverside but then after some reading I'm not sure how much value we will get out of that and maybe a value resort will suit us fine and our money can be better spent in the parks? (We tend to spend very little time in our room).

What are your thoughts, is there much difference in travel time between the value and the moderate resorts?

We stayed a night in a Value last year and couldn't wait to get out of there and into the moderate. If you think you might spend ANY time at the pool then I'd for sure go moderate resort.

We usually stay at Port Orleans Riverside, but this trip we decided to try Coronado Springs Resort. Both of these resorts are very big. If you are after something a little quieter then go for French Quarter. We would love to try there but unfortunately it's not included in Free Dining :(

Keep in mind that the values and moderates are basically motel rooms. If you want a nicer place to stay that is more like a mid-range hotel, you'll need to stay deluxe or offsite.

Have you considered Renting points from a DVC member?

We have stayed at Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk Villas. Both are great. They are deluxe so more expensive but if you rent points it in my experience cheaper than buying retail.

We are not really pool people so thats not a concern but thanks for the info Kbainbridge. So French Quarter never gets the Dining deals? How have you found Riverside and coronado springs

Iffam, thanks for the tip on renting points. How does that work or can you point me in the right the direction to get the information on how it works.

Thanks for the tip Shanti. We don't really have a problem with motel style. Like I said we spend open to close in the park and only return to the room to sleep, so if the rooms are clean and the beds are good we will be happy. I would rather have money for the park than for a room I wont be in.

We are not really pool people so thats not a concern but thanks for the info Kbainbridge. So French Quarter never gets the Dining deals? How have you found Riverside and coronado springs

That's right, French Quarter is usually not included when they release the free dining offer. We have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside twice and really enjoy the atmosphere. Great food court, and I found the beds to be much more comfortable that All Star Sports. We are staying at Coronado this September so I can't give feedback on that one yet :)

We stayed at Pop Century and were more than happy. The buses to and from the parks were, from memory, direct and very frequent.

Like the OP, we spent the entire time in the parks. The only exceptions were day-trips to NASA, Universal Studios, etc. Even then, we'd get back to the resort relatively late and simply have dinner at the resort's food court before going to bed. There was no time for relaxing by the pool or any other resort-focused activities. But, that's just the way we choose to travel.

If you're there for 10 days, I would recommend considering a three-day Disney cruise since you'll be in Orlando. You could do it mid-way through your vacation as a chance for a small "break" from the parks or at the end as a relaxing and indulgent end to your holiday.

I'd also consider whether you want to visit any other attractions in Orlando (e.g. NASA, Universal Studios, etc). Otherwise, for the park days, I think we just divided our time between them based on the size of the parks (i.e. less time for Animal Kingdom and Epcot) and tried to ensure that we visited the most popular parks on weekdays (as opposed to the presumably busier weekends).

Have a look into Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party. It is on during the dates you are there. It is a paid event, meaning that you have to pay for it on top of the ticket price. We were there during the Christmas period 2015 between Christmas and NewYear and the Parade and fireworks from the party was part of your normal entrance fee and the parade was awesome as were the fireworks.

Thanks Kbanbridge I look forward to hearing about corando Springs.

Agent 86, sounds like you travel like us! On the go . Thanks for the info on Pop and I will look into the cruise.

Most definitely planning for a Mickey Very Merry Christmas Party AussieNSW! Have you done one?

So the big question I guess is how many days will we need for each park? We can have a further few days with a friend if we need to add to the time! (And I know I'd love to have unlimited!! But unfortunately unless I win lotto!) what would you suggest is a good amount of time.

No we havent done the Christmas party we arrived on the 28th of dec and they had finished by then but got to see most of the things that happen during the party as after a certain date I think between Christmas and new year it becomes part of the entertainment schedule. We have done the Halloween party in the past.

So the big question I guess is how many days will we need for each park?

From memory, we spent around eight days in the four Disney theme parks. Included in that was the morning / early afternoon of one day at the two water parks. Once again, from memory, I know that we easily did everything (including shows, parades, etc) at Animal Kingdom in a single day. We did go back to Animal Kingdom to do something that was closed on the day we visited. We probably spent the entire day at AK until it closed and then went to another park (since AK closes early).

I think the same applied for Epcot. We easily did everything in a single day. We did return to Epcot on our last day for dinner (since it serves alcohol).

The other two parks required two days each to do everything. But, this was before the new Fantasyland. When we were there, I think parts of the Magic Kingdom were closed / off-limits due to the construction of the new Fantasyland. So, MK might require three days now.

Also, all of the above was with quick, counter service meals, etc. We don't really stop for leisurely lunches or dinners when we're in the parks. If you enjoy taking a break during the day for a long lunch, then things could take a little longer. I'm also not up to date about when Avatar land opens at AK. If that opens before you visit, then I would allow more time at AK since the new land will no doubt be very popular.

Hi Leanne. We stayed at both Coronado Springs and French Quarter on our last trip in 2014. I preferred CSR over FQ for no real reason other than I just liked CSR's rooms a bit better. FQ felt a bit dark and gloomy to me - and the pool was way better at CSR. I didn't try out the food court at FQ so can't comment on that.

Have a look into Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party. It is on during the dates you are there. It is a paid event, meaning that you have to pay for it on top of the ticket price. We were there during the Christmas period 2015 between Christmas and NewYear and the Parade and fireworks from the party was part of your normal entrance fee and the parade was awesome as were the fireworks.

MVMCP is a ticketed event. Entry is from around 4pm and you get arm bands to identify you. Visitors without the arm bands are directed to the exit from around 7pm. You do not need to use a normal days ticket unless you want to be at a park all day as well.

Leanne this is just weird. Your OP could've been mine. Excatly how I am feeling and exactly what I am thinking except I'll be travelling with DH and 2 DDs!

27/11-6/12 are the dates I'm working on for Orlando at the moment (need time to save!). I also pencilled in the 2 Port Orleans hotels with a question mark on Coronado Springs. I have no idea what the points buso is all about either so it would be great if you could forward me the info you received on it pretty please?

We did DL last year (first trip and now I'm addicted and needing to win lotto so we can come and see DW before the girls don't want to hang out with their mum anymore!) and the dining buso does not exist. I have no idea what it is about BUT I have figured out that I need to get on top of it to make the most of every penny, so would love to know what you have learnt on this too if you don't mind. I'm already thinking FQ is off the list ;)

Last year we bought a 10 day park hopper pass from Flight Centre that was the same price as the 5 days pass through DL. Does anyone know if that (or similar) is available for DW also?

For us I think we'll probably stay here for 8 nights and then on site at Universal for the other 2. I've heard some of the USO hotels include express passes so that could be good value particularly if we end up there on a weekend.

I'll be watching your thread with great interest and look forward to learning and sharing info with you as we go :)

Hi LeanneDownUnder

Like Agent 86, we have stayed at Pop Century and really liked it. The food court is very good and with their own buses, we found we didn't have too much of a wait to get to the parks or back.

We have also stayed at the Little Mermaid Rooms at Art of Animation (just gorgeous) and Cars Suite at Art of Animation (more room for a family of four). This time we are staying at Caribbean Beach Resort (a moderate) but spending our final four days back at the Cars Suite as last time we loved it so much.

I would suggest allowing two days for MK and two days for EPCOT, and a day for Hollywood Studios and another day for Animal Kingdom. Another day for Disney Springs and then another day to go visiting the other resorts (at Christmas time the decorations at the Deluxe resorts will be beautiful). I don't know if Universal Studios interests you or your daughter, but the Harry Potter section is amazing (and I'm not a Harry Potter fan), so maybe allow some time for that?

Some great helpful information. Thanks everyone!

Dee2015 let me tell you my kids are 30, 22 and 18 ... Kids never grow out of going with mum (thank goodness) last trip was with the 22 and 18 year old .. The one before they were a little younger, but this next trip is just me and the 18 year old who will be 20 by then!!

Montanabel great info on the value resorts, sounds like you were happy with Art of animation, the little mermaid sounds great! How was the transport from there? And yes, I have a huge Harry Potter fan so we will head over to universal but that is extra on top of our Disney days.

Thanks Colin for the info on the Christmas party's will be booking that in for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter