OKW review 1/12/07-1/16/07

pistonfan32

Mouseketeer
Just returned from our trip to DW and stay at OKW. We just bought into OKW and first stayed in a studio in January 2006. This time, we had five of us (wife, 4 year old son, 12 year old son and 13 year old friend of son) so we got a 2 bedroom. I was a little skeptical after reading recent posts about housekeeping, maintenance, etc. I even thought about switching to SSR. in September 2005. I am glad I did not change because everything was great.

We arrived on Friday, 1/12/07 from Detroit at 5:45pm. We took Magical Express to the resort. Our luggage was already there before we even showed up because we were on stand by for an earlier flight but did not make it, but our luggage did. We only had to wait about 10 minutes for the almost full bus to leave, but I understand that some people waited around 30 minutes. That seems too long. The first stop was OKW so that was nice.

I went to check-in. I requested a location near the HH. The gave me building 21 which is on Miller's Road and seemed kind of far away. The only building they could change me to was building 20 which was one building closer. I wish I was a closer but no big deal. It turns out I loved building 20. It was close to the Miller's Road bus stop which is the 2nd to last stop before leaving OKW. We could just jump on the bus to go to the HH which was the next stop. But it gets better. Our back yard was one of the satellite pools. Now that was convenient. I will definitely request building 20 the next time I return.

We had groceries delivered by gardengrocer.com. They were great. I asked for delivery b/w 7pm and 9pm. They were waiting in the parking lot for us when we arrived. Perfect and I will use them again without a doubt.

Our kitchen was appropriately stocked. The condo was perfectly clean. No housekeeping or maintenance issues. The bedrooms are huge. At first, my older son walked in and saw the family room/kitchen area and said this place was not very big. They he walked to the bedrooms and said "holy ****, this place is huge". It ws a dedicated 2 BR. The 2nd BR is down the hall from the first BR so we could not hear the kids at all. One night, I moved to the sleeper sofa in the family room because my 4 year old was just too loud (he was sleeoing in our room on an Aerobed). The sleeper sofa bed was not too bad--the mattress was very thick and stiff, just like the furniture.

We had three days to spend at the parks. The first day we went to Epcot and Animal Kingdom. Very little lines throughout both parks. We went to Blizzard Beach the second day. Again, no lines to speak of. It felt to go to BB on Sunday because there was ice in Detroit and the only ice we saw was the fake ice hanging from the buildings. The third day (MLK day), we went to MGM and then Magic Kingdom at night. Again, there were virtually no lines--the longest was Tower of Terror for 15 minutes. And this was with Rock n Roller Coaster being closed. My kids were really bummed out that it was closed. Other attractions are turning over to new ones. No more Millionaire game. We were going to watch the new Extreme Stunt Show because it seems really good but we were getting pretty hot and decided to go back to OKW and swim for a couple of hours. We went to Magic Kingdom after dinner. We arrived at 7pm. We were unhappily surprised to find out that it closed at 8pm with no extra magic hours. This was my fault that I did not check this out in advance but I figured it would be open later because it was MLK day--not your typical Monday. Most people were waiting for the electric parade and fireworks, so we got on a few rides very quickly.

The bus service from OKW was fine. Sometimes, it seems like we had to wait longer than I expected at the parks to return, but not too bad. We had dinner one night at Wolfgang Puck's Cafe in DD and it was great. You get a DVC 10% discount there. One night, we went over to SSR just to check it out. The pool looks great but I felt no love to SSR. To me, it did not have that Disney feel. I really like OKW's direct entrances with a condo feel. SSR is huge and just appears like a bunch of big buildings.

I read a lot of complaints about OKW in the past few months. We have no complaints. I think some people have had legitimate complaints and some people complain about very small things--like the seam of a carpet not being down properly. Let's be honest here-OKW is great, relaxing, quiet, huge rooms, etc. Our next trip will be back to OKW or possibly Beach Club because of the pool.

Questions? I would be happy to answer them.

I just recently got back from a trip at SSR. Although it was lovely and the trip next to perfect, my heart belongs to OKW. I missed the layed back feeling. No one seems rushed at OKW and the music is wonderful. I love the full grown trees at OKW and the lush grounds.

SSR was very nice and new. Everything looked wonderful but it has a new feel to it. People were hurried and we just moved slow.

We also made OKW our home.

We just returned Friday from our first stay at OKW. We were also in building 20 Miller's Rd. We too enjoyed the location, being right next to the pool. We were the ones in the hot tub each night! My son and DIL were in 21. We really enjoyed OKW. It was so quiet. We ate at Olivia's for breakfast and really liked it as well. We will definitely stay here again. We asked to see a 1 bdrm and what alot of room. We took the boat to DTD a few times. We enjoyed Fulton's lunch at 30% off. Once again we loved Le'Cellier and met a couple from the DIS board. I am really missing the warm weather!!!

OKW is our home resort and have stayed there many times since we joined in 1994. We stayed there 12/24-12/29 this year and were in 42 (2bdroom)on Turtle Pond rd. We also had great vacation, no problem with cleanliness(never have), got tons of "welcome homes", got towel animals(nemo and friends with sparkle stickers!), and good bus service also. Last xmas week(05) we were in builing 21 on Millers rd. and loved that location;quiet and convenient (2bdroom). We are headed back to OKW for xmas again this year(it wil make 5th annual).
Connears

Thanks for the TR. I always love reading about OKW. I've never stayed in bldg 20, but I wouldn't think it was much more than a 5-6 min walk to HH. We stayed in bldg 34 this past August and the walk was maybe 8-10 min and that is further from HH.
I would love having the pool right there too. We hung out at the Miller's Rd pool in '04 because construction was going on at the main pool for the slide. It's a nice private, relaxing area.
Sounds like you made good use of the 3 days you had to spend in the parks. Glad u had a good trip !

I just recently got back from a trip at SSR. Although it was lovely and the trip next to perfect, my heart belongs to OKW. I missed the layed back feeling. No one seems rushed at OKW and the music is wonderful. I love the full grown trees at OKW and the lush grounds.

SSR was very nice and new. Everything looked wonderful but it has a new feel to it. People were hurried and we just moved slow.

We also made OKW our home.

Could the fast moving people be because exchanges are generally avaiulable at SSR? Those non DVC owners may be in a hurry to do everything during their stay.

Also OKW seems to have a slightly older crowd IMO. That could have something to do with it. SSR has seemed a little younger, crowd wise, to me.

Anyone else notice this or think this could be true?

Also OKW seems to have a slightly older crowd IMO. That could have something to do with it. SSR has seemed a little younger, crowd wise, to me.

Anyone else notice this or think this could be true?
You know, I've heard other people make similar statements dumbo, but honestly never experienced this. I'm wondering if maybe "snowbirds" escape there during the Dec-March time period ? OKW owners who bought when the resort first opened might be the reason for seeing an older crowds there ? Our stays at OKW have mostly been during the June to Nov time period and there are always a ton of kids everywhere. My kids have made friends during vacation with other kids while in the pool or Hanks etc. So, personally, no, I haven't noticed this. But maybe others have ?

Old, I'm 41 and can run a 9 miles in less than a hour...bring it on...and I own at OKW since 1985...and expecting my fifth boy in April...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter