Okw...wow!

We stayed at OKW in April 06 and February 07. Loved it! The first trip was in a studio and the next was in a 2BR. Both times we were located in building 55. Close to a quiet pool and bus stop. Awesome location and good view of the canal. Building 55 is located next to the walking path to SSR and DTD. After staying in the Studio, we became DVC members.

My daughter and I (mom has to work:eek:) will be heading for our first stay at SSR in 3 days.:banana: :banana: :banana:

We are staying at OKW from 714-7/20 due to being moving from AKL because of the construction. After reading all the posts, I am looking forward to seeing this resort. We stayed at what was formerly known as Dixie Landings in 1995 and loved it. Prior to that we had never stayed on the property before and now we won't go anywhere but the property to stay. Any suggesstions or thoughts about OKW would be helpful. Thanks to those who posted on another thread about OKW (Just booted from AKL thread). Counting down the days:yay:

We've been OKW members since 93. We've stayed at the resort over 100 nights and the truth of the matter is that OKW is simply horrible. We keep staying there in hope of simply one good night. I will report the morning follwing that first good night. Until then I highly recommend for all to stay far far away.:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
I know my job is tough but someone must step up and handle the challenge.I predict that somewhere around 2041 we will be successful.Wish me luck.:thumbsup2

LOL, interesting that this thread and the one where the transportation issues made some guy's OKW stay a "nightmare" are both on the board today!

I wish I could live at OKW! It's my favorite resort by far in the DVC system.

Me too!! I even use my BCV points to stay there after I have used up all my OKW ones. Aren't those of you who want those BCV stays glad I do - Just trying to do my part to free up some of those BCV rooms for people who want to book at the 7 month or shorter periods if all the other BCV owners haven't beat you to it. .

Any suggesstions or thoughts about OKW would be helpful. Thanks to those who posted on another thread about OKW (Just booted from AKL thread). Counting down the days:yay:

Sometimes there are complaints about being too far away from the Hospitality House and main pool. One suggestion is that if you find yourself in a building on the far side of the resort and wish to go to the main pool and HH, just get on any bus at your bus stop. The main area is the last stop before exiting the resort. When you want to go back, the first stop (Peninsular Rd.) is a short walk away. Take any bus from there back. Also, we like taking the boat to DD instead of the bus.

Thanks all. We leave Saturday (two days away) :goodvibes and I can't wait. Will post how everything went when we get back.

pluto:

Already planning our trip for Oct '08 and I think I've found our resort!!:yay:

DH & I are SSR owners and love our home:love: but we just booked a 2 bedroom unit at OKW yesterday for extended family for Feb. 2008. I hope we are going to love OKW as much as we love SSR! Of course, I haven't found too much at WDW that we didn't like!

Glad you loved it there, it's our second best after BWV.

LOL, interesting that this thread and the one where the transportation issues made some guy's OKW stay a "nightmare" are both on the board today!

That is exactly what I was thinking, Diane!

Next month we are doing a split stay...AKV then OKW! Very excited for BOTH! :cool1:

The OP comment about renting and therefore buying their own membership is why Disney loves DVC point renters and are not doing anything to stop it. Also, it is exactly what my DVC guide told me, rent all you want, it's more potential customers for us!

The OP comment about renting and therefore buying their own membership is why Disney loves DVC point renters and are not doing anything to stop it. Also, it is exactly what my DVC guide told me, rent all you want, it's more potential customers for us!

I was waiting for someone to bring this up! It took 34 posts. This is exactly why renting is allowed, my opinion, of course. It is free advertising for DVC! To OP, I am glad you had a great trip!

We just passed ROFR for OKW - got 130 points - we are planning a trip after school is out end of May 2008. :dance3: I can't wait to stay there with hopefully a beginning 3 day adventure to Vero Beach. I hope we can get reservations for studios at that time. Does anyone have any experience with that time of the year - either getting reservations or the weather in Vero??

Got back Friday (20th). My 9 year old had fun, but I don't think we'll ever go again in July. Too hot, humid and crowded. Tour groups everywhere and maybe because of the heat, very rude people. Not the cast members but the ticket holders. OKW was a nice resort, we liked the kitchette, but it seemed too spread out. When we stayed in 1995 at the Dixie Landings, it didn't seem as spread out as this one did. I think that next time we'll try to go earlier in the year, April or May, maybe it won't be as crowded. It took forever to get to ride the rides, wait times from 30 min to 2 hours. I was dissappointed in Blizzard Beach, the wait times there for rides were about the same, my 9 year old had more fun at the resort swimming pool. Also was dissappointed in Animal Kingdom. Rafika's planet watch seemed a waste of time, especially since you have to wait for the train to get to and from. They probably should have another alternate way of coming and going. The main goal of my son having fun was met, so that's the best thing.

Glad your 9 yo had a good time. July can be a little tougher to enjoy yourself at wdw. We have perfected it as best we can. Up and out very early (by 7:30 am). Get to the parks and leave by noon. Rest/relax/swim/shop/catch a movie etc until 5 pm and then back to the parks after 6 pm. We try to avoid the bulk of the heat and crowds.

OKW was a nice resort, we liked the kitchette, but it seemed too spread out. When we stayed in 1995 at the Dixie Landings, it didn't seem as spread out as this one did.
POR is pretty big.....it's just a tad smaller than CBR. I think it's all perception and where your room assignment is that makes one get a different feel for a resort.
I think April or May would be much better for less heat and humidity---though we went in early April one year and it was 90's all week. Just never know. The secret to BB is getting there very early---we arrive before the gates are open. We get to ride with barely any lines for several hours. Once the crowds hit, then we just hang in the wave pool or do the lazy river. Summer time is a tough time to do the water parks because everyone wants to cool off. I really wish River Country was still open---even if just during the summer months---to help spread out the crowds. We tried to enter the water parks at 10:30 am --11 am during summer months and arrived to find the water park closed due to capacity levels.
I wish you a better trip next year ! Thanks for posting !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter