• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Old Family Spaghetti Recipes!

omg, yall.....I wasn't thinking about worchestershire containing anchovies but it sure does and I've also seen anchovies in a well-known chain BBQ sauce! Can't recall the name now but I was shocked when I read all of the ingredients.
Yes, many bbq sauces have worcestershire sauce. I live in the land of bbq, so it's very frustrating. My son works for a caterer and came home with some food the other night. He said, "don't eat the tacos they have worcestershire sauce." In the tacos??!!

omg, yall.....I wasn't thinking about worchestershire containing anchovies but it sure does and I've also seen anchovies in a well-known chain BBQ sauce! Can't recall the name now but I was shocked when I read all of the ingredients.
I hope someone here would try the recipe and let me know what you think. It's so hard to type out a recipe when you don't measure as you cook. If it looks too thick, I add more wine, water, or beef stock. Taste for salt and maybe it needs more of this or that.

What I found was that yes, a traditional marinara is simple and easy, adding more herbs, wines, flavors deepened, intensify and wow...you can just take things to a place you never thought was possible.

It's kinda like an apple pie recipe that was passed down from an elderly Aunt. It has two ingredients I have never seen in another recipe and it's hands down the best apple pie I've ever eaten. Sometimes that little something adds a big something :lovestruc

Please do tell about the apple pie recipe. I will soon be making this pasta recipe as it sounds delish!

Just make sure when you serve it to guests, no one has a shellfish allergy. I was served a dish not knowing it had Worcestershire sauce in it and ended up at the minor emergency. It has anchovies in it and it very dangerous for those of us with shellfish allergies.

Just my psa for today. I keep seeing Worcestershire sauce popping up in recipes that don't typically call for it. So, it's hard to know what is safe to eat.

Good information to know. I'd not heard that before.

They are fish, but for whatever reason people with shellfish allergies react to them. It was one of the worst reactions I have ever had.

Yes, most asian restaurants are off limits to me due to the inclusion of oyster sauce and fish sauce in almost all their dishes. You can ask for it to be omitted, but the chance of cross contamination is too great.

I was just wondering if you can't eat Thai food either as they use fish sauce. :(

I had never even heard of fish sauce before. But, I ate at one restaurant and they salted a dish waaay too much. Other than that, the dish tasted fine. So the next time I ordered it, I asked them to use less salt & and soy sauce. (It had a brown sauce.) It was still too salty. :crazy2: :headache: So, I said again, don't use salt or soy sauce. The waitress said they don't put either in the dish. I asked what was the brown sauce then? And what made it so salty? She said it was FISH SAUCE. Thai dishes use fish sauce instead of soy sauce. Luckily I don't have a fish/shellfish allergy.

Last edited:

Are anchovies a shellfish? I thought they were just little fish.

I thought so too. But, allergies can be weird. I have something called, "Oral Allergy Syndrome," in which some people cannot eat certain RAW fruit and vegetables, but CAN have them cooked, baked, stewed, fried. The heat breaks down the enzyme or protein in them enough so they can be eaten. For instance, I can have tomatoes if they cooked really well in a spaghetti sauce. But I cannot have the more "al fresco" style of chunky marinara sauce in which the tomatoes are barely heated or cooked through. A LOT of DISers have Oral Allergy Syndrome. It's technically a food intolerance not an allergy that would cause anaphylaxis. There was an old (zombie) thread about how many people have it and thought they were the only weird ones. :(

Anyway, people who are often allergic to RAW walnuts are also allergic to melons. . . AND they usually have hay fever too. :( It's a weird combo of allergies that don't seem to make sense. :upsidedow

Please do tell about the apple pie recipe. I will soon be making this pasta recipe as it sounds delish!

I'll send you a private message. I don't want my Aunt Katherine's apple pie recipe seen by the masses as she asked for us to keep it a secret, but for a few folks, I'll share it, as some folks do truly understand the value in old, passed down recipes. :flower3:

My favorite Sauce was torn out of a doctor’s office magazine maybe 10 years ago.

INGREDIENTS: Spaghetti with fresh tomato sauce and basil
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
20 ripe plum tomatoes (16oz), peeled, halved and seeded
Pinch of crushed red pepper Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 TBSP unsalted butter (optional)
1 oz. freshly grated parmiagiano-reggiano (about 1/2 cup)
6-8 fresh basil leaves, sliced thinly
1 lb spaghetti

DIRECTIONS
In a wide pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and red pepper flakes and season lightly with salt and pepper. Let cook for a few minutes until tomatoes start to soften. Using a potato masher, smash the tomatoes finely. Cook 20-25 minutes until sauce is thickened. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti until just shy of al dente. Drain pasta, reserving a little of the cooking water. Add pasta to sauce and cook over medium-high heat, gently tossing the pasta and the sauce together with a couple of wooden spoons until pasta is just tender. If the sauce seems a little thick, add some of the reserved pasta water. Take pan off heat and toss in butter, basil and cheese. Serve immediately. Serves 4

That recipe sounds pretty much like what I make except for the Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. I kind of take every thing that I might like and toss it in. I'll have to try the Worcestershire sauce as I often put in anchovies or fish sauce.

For someone who wants simple, simple, simple try Marcella Hazan's sauce.
28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes
5 T butter
1 onion
Cook for 45 minutes and then remove the onion before serving.

Marcella Hazan was an Italian-born cooking writer whose books were published in English. Her cookbooks are credited with introducing the public in the United States and Britain to the techniques of traditional Italian cooking. This recipe is famous.

That recipe sounds pretty much like what I make except for the Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. I kind of take every thing that I might like and toss it in. I'll have to try the Worcestershire sauce as I often put in anchovies or fish sauce.

For someone who wants simple, simple, simple try Marcella Hazan's sauce.
28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes
5 T butter
1 onion
Cook for 45 minutes and then remove the onion before serving.

Marcella Hazan was an Italian-born cooking writer whose books were published in English. Her cookbooks are credited with introducing the public in the United States and Britain to the techniques of traditional Italian cooking. This recipe is famous.

I have been putting off trying this recipe, but it was ground breaking. I am making a resolution to try it this year, as it made huge waves when it came out.

I have been putting off trying this recipe, but it was ground breaking. I am making a resolution to try it this year, as it made huge waves when it came out.
I've made it. My husband and I both liked it a lot. Obviously quite different from the meat/meatball sauce I usually make, but excellent. It's been about a year so I can't remember what kind of pasta I served it with.

I need to do it again. But I made a gigantic batch of the heavy/duty sauce (without the meat though) and pressure canned it in quarts. So I've been trying to use that up.

No "old family recipe" as I am about as Irish as possible with zero Italian blood. But I dated an Italian for awhile, and love to cook and experiment and so came up with my own sauce that everyone who's tried it has loved it.

Sautee a very finely diced medium onion and a few cloves of garlic in a splash of good olive oil over low heat until both are soft and fragrant, but not browned. If either brown accidentally, I scrape them out of the pot, save for another recipe and start over. Pour in two 28 oz cans of organic crushed tomatoes. Add a splash of good dry red wine wine from the bottle I've just opened to drink while I cook. Add a bit of freshly cracked salt and pepper. Add a few shakes of dried oregano. If I have a rind of parmesan, I toss it in the pot at this time. Simmer, uncovered for as long as possible. About a half hour before serving, if I don't have a rind of parmesan, I grate in a decent amount of fresh parmesan, throw in some fresh basil and add a tablespoon of butter. I didn't used to add the butter, but I read a recipe recommending it and it really does give this amazing taste to the sauce.

If I'm making it for my SO, I remove it from the burner for about 15 minutes to cool a touch and puree the whole thing in my food processor because he hates chunks of tomatoes. I'll then return it to the saucepan once pureed to reheat for 5ish minutes on medium heat. If I'm eating it just myself or for others who love/don't mind a semi-chunky sauce, I'll serve it on top of pasta straight from the sauce pan. The rind of parmesan gets removed either just before pureeing or just before serving if there.

So I called Disney today to see if there was an update and the cast member told me they do not have dates beyond September. I told her I could see them on my side through November and she said well our system has not been updated yet. So frustrated

Wouldn't you brown the ground meat before adding it to the crockpot? Same with the meatballs?

Nope. I just toss it in the sauce and let it ride. I do buy leaner meats so the sauce doesn't get greasy. Same when I make chili, I don't brown the meat then either. My chili is a meat masterpiece crockpot delight that leaves men begging for more so I know I'm doing that right.

No "old family recipe" as I am about as Irish as possible with zero Italian blood. But I dated an Italian for awhile, and love to cook and experiment and so came up with my own sauce that everyone who's tried it has loved it.

Sautee a very finely diced medium onion and a few cloves of garlic in a splash of good olive oil over low heat until both are soft and fragrant, but not browned. If either brown accidentally, I scrape them out of the pot, save for another recipe and start over. Pour in two 28 oz cans of organic crushed tomatoes. Add a splash of good dry red wine wine from the bottle I've just opened to drink while I cook. Add a bit of freshly cracked salt and pepper. Add a few shakes of dried oregano. If I have a rind of parmesan, I toss it in the pot at this time. Simmer, uncovered for as long as possible. About a half hour before serving, if I don't have a rind of parmesan, I grate in a decent amount of fresh parmesan, throw in some fresh basil and add a tablespoon of butter. I didn't used to add the butter, but I read a recipe recommending it and it really does give this amazing taste to the sauce.

If I'm making it for my SO, I remove it from the burner for about 15 minutes to cool a touch and puree the whole thing in my food processor because he hates chunks of tomatoes. I'll then return it to the saucepan once pureed to reheat for 5ish minutes on medium heat. If I'm eating it just myself or for others who love/don't mind a semi-chunky sauce, I'll serve it on top of pasta straight from the sauce pan. The rind of parmesan gets removed either just before pureeing or just before serving if there.
Growing up, my mom made sauce with whole tomatoes that she broke up herself. However, my kids didn’t like chunky sauce, so I see puréed tomatoes until recently. Now that they are older, they will eat sauce made from crushed tomatoes. I have an immersion blender, but I found it easier just to use puréed tomatoes instead of crushed.

My favorite Sauce was torn out of a doctor’s office magazine maybe 10 years ago.

INGREDIENTS: Spaghetti with fresh tomato sauce and basil
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
20 ripe plum tomatoes (16oz), peeled, halved and seeded
Pinch of crushed red pepper Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 TBSP unsalted butter (optional)
1 oz. freshly grated parmiagiano-reggiano (about 1/2 cup)
6-8 fresh basil leaves, sliced thinly
1 lb spaghetti

DIRECTIONS
In a wide pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and red pepper flakes and season lightly with salt and pepper. Let cook for a few minutes until tomatoes start to soften. Using a potato masher, smash the tomatoes finely. Cook 20-25 minutes until sauce is thickened. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti until just shy of al dente. Drain pasta, reserving a little of the cooking water. Add pasta to sauce and cook over medium-high heat, gently tossing the pasta and the sauce together with a couple of wooden spoons until pasta is just tender. If the sauce seems a little thick, add some of the reserved pasta water. Take pan off heat and toss in butter, basil and cheese. Serve immediately. Serves 4
Around here, this is like a recipe for toast. This is such a common (and delicious) summer staple. We only have a few months of good tomatoes.

Growing up, my mom made sauce with whole tomatoes that she broke up herself. However, my kids didn’t like chunky sauce, so I see puréed tomatoes until recently. Now that they are older, they will eat sauce made from crushed tomatoes. I have an immersion blender, but I found it easier just to use puréed tomatoes instead of crushed.

I’ll give puréed tomatoes a try next time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter