Old Key West vs. Wilderness Lodge

stormi65

<font color=FF99FF>I love the Magic Kingdom the be
We have stayed at the WL twice previously, and my husband just heard a glowing report of Old Key West. I looked at some pictures at another site, the resort looks lovely. How sprawling is Old Key West? Does it compare to WL?

We own at WLV but I have to say that OKW is our favorite because of the size of the rooms, being on the golf course, and the condo atmosphere. Its quiet and beautiful. Also the boat to DD is a plus.( we rent a car so transportation is not a factor for us)While WLV is beautiful the living area of the 1br and 2br is just too small for our family.

My name may indicate my preference! I guess in terms of themeing - (is that how you spell it?) - both places excel. I think OKW feels totally like southern florida with a disney twist.

It is big, it's comfortable, and it's very friendly.

We are staying at OKW this July. We reserved a 1 bedroom suite. This is our first time to WDW and picked OKW because we wanted room( and some privacy from our teens). I am sure from the reports I have seen on this board we will love it. This is a great place to find ALL the information you could ever want on WDW. My thanks to all of you.

:earsgirl: :wave: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

We're been DVC members since '93 at OKW and are partial to it. We visited WL often but never stayed until the DVC portion was added on. In Oct. 2001, we stayed in a dedicated 2 BDR at VWL. Though we enjoyed the Lodge, I'd have to say there was a completely different feel to the vacation.

If you've already been to WL twice, then I would heartily recommend a stay at OKW. The rooms are bigger and the layout more interesting...as in not just a square box or 2 or 3 connected together. The studios are roomy and beautifully decorated. The one bedroom feels like an apartment. The 1 BDR balconies are wonderfully large and 4 people can comfortably sit around a table. The landscaping throughout the resort is lush and varied. IMHO, fellow guests tend to be people who are frequent visitors and not rushing to cram it all in...so they are more laidback, friendly.

At the very least, you can say you tried OKW, rather than always wondering if you would enjoy a stay there! ;)

I would try and stay somewhere different each time if possible when going to WDW

Variety is the spice of life

Thanks
jaysue

the DVC discussion board. Since OKW is a DVC resort you will find a lot of info over there. We have been members at OKW since 93 and love it. This is the first year that we are trying another resort for longer then one night. We have a daughter 15 and 22 and they both have always loved OKW. OKW also has great activities for kids, especially young and young teens. I am sure you will love it.

Loved our 2 bedroom at OKW. Great value for larger families and the bright theme is so pretty. I am not a woodsy kinda girl so I prefer the OKW.

This is Walt Disney World’s best kept secret for a resort! My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon last November, and we loved the place! Here's my review will be based on a 1-bedroom villa, since this is what we had during our stay.

Pros –
1) Large, large, large room! This is one of the biggest rooms on site, measuring over 1,000 square feet! Compare that to a moderate resort where you only get 314 square feet!
2) Park in front of your door! No need to slog your way through a general parking lot, then walk to the other side of the building – you get out of your car, and in a few steps, you’re in the front door!
3) Nice screened-in patio with a fan, table and chairs!
4) Two-person Jacuzzi in the master bath – very romantic!
5) Washer and dryer are included, and if you get the right mouse-keeper, unlimited laundry detergent!
6) Fully stocked kitchen – eat some or all of your meals in your room! Keep snacks and cold beverages handy for mid-day snacks or late night munchies. Of course, there is a dish washer, so dirty all of the dishes! You even get a coffee maker!
7) Two TVs in two separate rooms. Does a member of the family need to take a nap? No problem – send them to the bedroom, close the door, and watch TV in the other room without disturbing them!
8) A TV with a VCR, if you need to watch a movie (which can be rented in the main building).
9) A very quiet, low-key resort.

Cons –
1) Average theming – nothing spectacular, but coherent.
2) Not very kid friendly.
3) Because the resort is sprawling, most buildings are a long hike to the main building for provisions, front desk, food, etc. But there are numerous bus stops and three extra pools strategically placed around the resort so you don’t have to walk very far for those services.
4) A stand-alone resort – you can walk or boat to Downtown Disney, but that’s all. You’ll need to use either the bus or your own car to go anywhere else.
5) The age of the resort is showing through in a few places.
6) Can be expensive – prices range for a 1-bedroom from $340 to $510 depending on the time of the year. This is almost $200 more than a moderate, BUT, you get a whole lot for the money.

Overall, this is a great place to stay. You get an awful lot for the money – more room, more amenities, more room, and some peace and quiet. Our honeymoon here was outstanding, and we will be back but maybe not with our kids. Having seen how other resorts cater to the kids (two words – Stormalong Bay), there is not a lot to keep young kids occupied. But if you are on a budget, a family of four could stay here comfortable, and the use of the kitchen for dining would save a lot of money. Also, having a free washer and dryer available meant we brought less clothes, and went home with only clean clothes. And did I also mention how big these rooms are?

Give Old Key West a try, you won’t be disappointed!

I've stayed at both, and although I much prefer OKW (DH swears by it for unwinding as he has a high stress job), for some people there are some reasons why WL is better for them.
1. The overall theming is awesome-the lobby is incredible, as well as the pool area
2. Speaking of pools, the OKW pool is probably about the least spectacular on property. Besides FW, the only one without a slide. All the pools at OKW are more like "quiet" pools elsewhere.
3. No valet parking at OKW-some people miss that
4. Definitely no room service at OKW, don't know about WL.
I guess it depends on your definition of the word "vacation", but for us OKW fits the description perfectly-restful, quiet-Oh, yes, and the nicest CMs. WL CMs we've encountered have been the "snootiest".

I found this was one of the most planned kid activity resort. Maybe I should say I know it used to be. You have to check out the activity sheet that you receive at check in. When my kids were younger, they loved all of the activities that were held at the hospitality house, the mickey un-birthday party, reverse painting ( we still have the ones from my kids from about 7 years ago), and a bunch of other activities.
Also once you learn the bus system it is very easy to get back and forth regardless of where you are staying.
I love the parking right outside of the door.
You guys have to stop it, I might have to switch from BCV to OKW for my July vacation!!!

We stayed at OKW for the first time in March and we're going back in June. What a lovely resort!

Here's a link to my TRIP REPORT.

And here's a link to my PICTURES.

I only have one negative comment about OKW - the pools are boring since they don't have slides. Other than that, it's just about perfect. You'll have a great time there. :)

Before you make a final choice, keep this in mind. Using the Mug Run Rating System, Wilderness Lodge receives a Four Mug Rating, while Old Key West receives a One Mug Rating!

Just something to keep in mind....

Originally posted by LT Hambone
Before you make a final choice, keep this in mind. Using the Mug Run Rating System, Wilderness Lodge receives a Four Mug Rating, while Old Key West receives a One Mug Rating!

Just something to keep in mind....

Thanks for the laugh but with my own kitchette and coffee I won't have to do the Mug Run. Good thing as I would have to drag my kids along with me as I am the solo adult this trip. That would bring the rating down even further.

TJ

OKW and VWL are both 1st class resorts, you can't go wrong with either one.;)

P.S. I would try OKW if I were you. :D

Some very strong points were made for Old Key West. It sounds wonderful. This is going to be a hard decision to make!

:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter