Ongoing PTR for SE Asia

So while I'm here, I do have a trip update. We have, in our usual fashion, changed our minds.

Since we have so little time available for this trip, we decided to simplify our flights. We're going to go to Mulu via Kuching. We won't get back from our trek in time to catch the direct flight to Kuching, so we'll have to go via Miri. However, we'll be able to leave Kuching in the afternoon on our last day and will only have 2 flights to get back to Melbourne.

So, what's in Kuching?

There's a wildlife cruise in the Kuching wetlands area. The highlight is the elusive Irrawaddy dolphin, though you apparently have to be pretty lucky to see them. There's plenty of other wildlife to see though, as well as nice sunset scenery.

There's also an orangutan sanctuary.

And Bako National Park. Apparently it's pretty good for wildlife sightings, and has some nice coastal scenery.

All three of these places are in different directions from the city, so we'll just plan to stay in the city centre so we can see some of the sights there too (plus good access to street food!). We're looking at Ranee Boutique Suites, and are tossing up between the executive suite or one of the specialty suites. Either one has nice views, comfortable looking sitting area, and luxurious looking bathroom with separate bath (very important for soothing our aching muscles!). The specialty suites are on the top floor and also have a large terrace.

The events that occurred with Malaysian wouldn't put me off flying with them. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fly anywhere if I knew all the nitty gritty of every airline.
Zanzibar, it's funny that you'll risk kidnappers but not Laos Air! LOL

So once we have had a change of plans... I have actually been diagnosed with a stress fracture in my left foot (was actually a result of my half marathon - it's just taken me this long to get around to having it diagnosed), so a trekking holiday is out of the question. DH and I briefly considered following much the same itinerary, but thought it would be a waste to go to such beautiful places and perhaps not be able to take in all the scenery on a long walk.

Two alternatives came to mind. We had actually been eyeing off George Town, Penang to be part of our original plans, but it was going to be too hard to fit into the itinerary. I also remembered back when I was researching for our last trip to Thailand, coming across some information on the Death Railway and thinking it sounded like an interesting place to visit (and right up DH's alley with all the war history). So, in a nutshell, here is our new itinerary...

Sunday - Jetstar flight Melbourne - George Town via Singapore. Arrive late-ish in the evening and stay at a pretty basic hotel.
Monday - Spend the morning getting a feel for George Town, then head over to Butterworth on the ferry and take the overnight train to Thailand (first class sleepers are currently undergoing maintenance, so looks like we'll be slumming it in 2nd class!).
Tuesday - Arrive in Nakhon Pathom (slightly south west of Bangkok) at around 9am. Find something to do there until about 3pm when we can connect to the train to Kanchanaburi. Arrive in Kanchanaburi about dinner time. I've found a lovely looking hotel I'd like to stay at, but our budget may call for a slightly lower quality option.
Wednesday - This part will probably depend on how my foot is by this time. What I'd like to do is start with an early trip to Erawan Falls, then come back via Hellfire Pass, check out the museum there and possibly take a short hike, and take the Death Railway back to Kanchanaburi.
Thursday - We can have a leisurely day in Kanchanaburi, taking in the Bridge over the River Kwai, and a couple of cemeteries and museum type places. We can probably fit a massage in there somewhere.
Friday - Leave bright and early for Bangkok, where we will start the return journey home. We will be flying business class with Cathay/Qantas on the way home (on points of course), starting with a flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong. Our fare rules only allow a layover in HK of less than 24 hours. DH managed to get us 23 hours and 50 minutes there, but it means we'll arrive in HK pretty late that night, and will probably just get a taxi to Disney's Hollywood Hotel.
Saturday - Full day at HKDL. Would prefer not to be a Saturday, but we'll cope the best we can. I really just want to ride Mystic Manor, see Festival of the Lion King, and pick up some 10th anniversary merch! We fly out for Perth late Saturday night.
Sunday - Arrive in Perth first thing in the morning, spend the day catching up with family we won't get to see at Christmas. Fly out at about 6pm, arrive back in Melbourne pretty late. I am considering booking a hotel in the city for this night so I don't have to waste time going all the way home, then going all the way back into the city again for work the next day.

I also have some news on our Vietnam trip in November. We have booked our flights there - and managed to get all 6 of us business class seats as far as Singapore. DH and his parents will fly out at about lunch time, and I will follow with SIL and her DH late afternoon. After a night in Singapore, we'll all then catch the same Dragon Air flight to Danang via Siem Reap (no layover here, just a quick touch down to let people on and off). There were only 2 business class seats on this flight, so MIL and FIL will get those.

I've been working on a basic itinerary. I'd like to start with a few nights in Hoi An (I think it's a great acclimatisation city). Then I'm thinking we can catch the overnight train to Ninh Binh, which is known locally as Halong Bay on land, and looks spectacular. I've found accommodation I think MIL and FIL would love. After a few nights there, we can head up to Hanoi on the train (only a few hours). DH and I will maybe have one night before flying out (unfortunately we will only get a week there). We're undecided as to whether we want to send MIL and FIL on to Halong Bay for an overnight cruise, or just give them a few days in Hanoi. SIL and her DH can either stay with us the whole time, or perhaps head to a beach destination for a few days while we're in Ninh Binh.

Anyway, early days yet, but locking in flights is always exciting!

Last edited:
I went to Kanchanaburi years ago. 2 things I remember....1/ the train ride was wonderful and the scenery beautiful. 2/ Is that bridge seriously the bridge over the river Kwai? It was just so tiny LOL

Sorry about your foot. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Your reworked plans look great.

I went to Kanchanaburi years ago. 2 things I remember....1/ the train ride was wonderful and the scenery beautiful. 2/ Is that bridge seriously the bridge over the river Kwai? It was just so tiny LOL

I don't know anything about 'the bridge over the River Kwai' and have no expectations going in, so I have no idea whether it would be tiny or not lol! We plan to do the short hike at Hellfire Pass if I'm up to it.

Sorry about your foot. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Your reworked plans look great.

Thanks PIO :goodvibes We were originally trying to keep this simple and low-key (as in, just go somewhere and stay put for 5 nights), but that never seems to work out for us!

DH has had an idea. He plans to tweak our anniversary trip just slightly, so that he will spend that last night in Thailand visiting his friend while I continue to HK on my own. He'll then meet me at the airport where we reunite for our flight to Perth.

Here is my dilemma. Since it will be a Friday night that I'm in HK, accommodation at HKDL is crazy expensive! We were planning to spend the night somewhere cheaper in the city, but with just me, I'm not sure I want to waste all that time commuting. So here are my options.

A. A basic hotel right next to Tsim Sha Tsui station for around $115. Catch the airport bus - estimated to take around 45 minutes. The commute from there to HKDL in the morning will be around 1 hour.

B. Stay at the Auberge Discovery Bay for around $220. I can catch an airport bus here too, and they have a shuttle to HKDL, or it's only a 12 minute taxi ride.

C. Stay at Disney's Hollywood Hotel for around $320. I can catch an airport bus here too, and be free to just walk to the park in the morning.

For all of the above options, I plan to take my luggage with me when I leave the hotel, and check it in with luggage storage at HKDL for an extra charge.

D. Stay at an aiport hotel for around $320. I think this would be the most convenient option, since I could just leave my luggage there and pick it up when I get back to the airport, but if I'm paying that sort of money anyway, I may as well get my Disney fix!

I did suggest to DH that he might be able to contribute to my night at HKDL for Christmas! What does everyone else think?

In 3 years time will you really know the difference between having spent $120 or $320?? Can you justify spending $200 extra on this and salve your conscience with saving it some other way/going without something if you feel the need to justify extra $, in the next couple of months!! and thus stay at HK DL Hollywood Hotel which you really want to anyway! and it is close for airport. Do they have left luggage storage at the airport? Would it be cheaper than DL storage?? and then just take an overnight kit to HH with you? I have never researched this but you do thorough research so I presume not. I plump for staying at DL anyway and to *ell with it!! I haven't heard anything good about the nearby airport hotels for their price.

I'm with Wendy. What's $200 on top of the cost of the holiday already. It's only one night, and I'm sure the memory of sleeping near Disney and walking at your leisure, without stressing about trains and taxis is well worth the cost. You'll forget you ever paid that much.

It's quite a low budget trip (trying to keep it under $2k all inclusive for both of us), so $200 extra for one night is actually quite a lot and will be likely to put us over budget. However, I do agree that it might be worth it for the magical memories of Disneyland rather than having memories of stress and wasting time on trains. Definitely going to try to make it happen!

So I haven't managed to convince DH that staying on property is a good idea, and in the meantime, the price of the Hollywood Hotel has jumped up to $360. So it's definitely out. I'm currently trying to convince him that Discovery Bay is a good compromise, but not really having much luck there either. The price there has already gone up to $240, so I hope it doesn't get much higher before he makes a decision!

So I haven't managed to convince DH that staying on property is a good idea, and in the meantime, the price of the Hollywood Hotel has jumped up to $360. So it's definitely out. I'm currently trying to convince him that Discovery Bay is a good compromise, but not really having much luck there either. The price there has already gone up to $240, so I hope it doesn't get much higher before he makes a decision!

:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter