Oralndo area - How bad was it after 9-11

drakethib

DIS Veteran
I have heard that the Orlando area was hit pretty hard after 9-11.

For not know what went on, It seems to have bounced back pretty well since then.

Not to sound bad, but it is hard for me to "see" some of the things that happen.

Did businesses close and things of that nature?

Not trying to be negative here. Just trying to see how big of an impact that the tourist dollar had on Orlando.

I was there shortly after 9-11 and the was a ghost town. I remember going to the parks and they were empty. Island of Adventure was as empty as I've ever seen it. Not living in Orlando I can't speak for many businesses, etc, but I was there for a few weeks and the crowds were no-existant. I can imagine that had a pretty big impact. In many ways its nice to see the crowds/people return.

No one was flying or traveling or headed to big places that could be targets. Disney certainly felt it, the parks were empty and I paid $189 nt at the BC (AP rate for Christmas).

We went to WDW about 6 months after 9-11 and stayed @ POR. I distictly remember talking to one of the bartenders at the River Roost and him saying that he used to be a bartender at one of the clubs at PI but was redeployed to the River Roost. He bumbed out less senior cast members to have that position.

It was dead at the resort as well as the River Roost itself. Very sad and spooky. He did however, comp us a few drinks and spent alot of time at our table talking about how 9/11 had effected him personally as well as the resort itself.

Dennis-

I traveled a lot for work then... and for the year after 9/11 airports, hotels, etc. all very empty. no one wanted to get on a plane. I was in NY around halloween that year, everyplace was empty. I also recall security at the Boston airport who were rude and snippy before, to be even more rude and snippy after.

Anyway, the summer after, I think it was first week of may, well it was the first week of may, cause it was my birthday... WDW was still pretty much a ghost town, I think I paid $99 a night for Poly.

We arrived in Orlando on 9-13. We had thought about canceling, but took the mindset that we were not going to let someone else control our lives. The drive down from Ohio was awful (we usually fly), and when we arrived at WDW there was a terrible storm. Parks were dead, and security was high. We always felt safe, and CM's went way out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. We went back at the same time the following year, and overall did not see much of a change in Orlando. Seems to have bounced back!

We were at Disney about a week after 9/11. The planes had just started flying again, so we did get our flights. Security at airports was extremely high, but everyone was ok with that.

The parks were so dead it was eery. I remember being at Epcot one day and we were the only ones to be seen in the section we were in. We were the only ones on a few of the rides throughout the trip, so the CM were extra chatty, trying to make the best of things.

I know local Orlando hotels suffered greatly, and some that were being built were hugely delayed in opening due to lack of tourist crowds. Just lots of uncertainty from what I heard from local friends down there. But obviously it bounced back and is busier than ever now!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter