Orlando Locals - HOw long will this take?

Rpsemont

DIS Veteran
Here's the plan - We land around 2PM on a Tuesday (NEXT TUESDAY to be exact) Will get a rental car and hopefully will be leaving the airport by 2:30. We're heading to the AAA office at 4300 East Colonial Drive (it looks like we go right up route 436) the on to the Boardwalk. We want to hit a grocery store at some point. Will we run across much downtown traffice if we get to the AAA by 3PM and are in and out can we probably be to the BWV by 4PM? Any suggestions for best route from AAA to the Boardwalk? And what about stores (preferably Winn Dixie since I ordered a discount card - LOL)
Thanks

bumping after just having read a thread about I-4 getting congested. Any ideas for us? SHould we avoid I-4 from the downtown area at 3:30ish?

May I ask why you are going to AAA?

Anne

Because you can buy a Universal Studios annual pass for $117. (about $50 less than gate price) We are planning to buy one. That will get us 50% off valet parking (savings for three visits of $21) 10-15% off many of the shops and restaurants - and 10% savings off park passes - which we have to buy three more (we wil buy the three day) We don't want the 2 day, one day free available now, because they have a 7 day use time and we're planning to save the third day for a visit next fall. I figure we save about $5.00 per pass (over other discounted passes) Since we don't have any pressing plans the first day we arrive, why not take advantage of a short drive to save some money.

Rpsemont

Do you mind me asking where you found that Universal deal? I went ot AAA website and couldn't find anything for APs at Universal.

Thanks!!! :bounce:

OK- A local here trying to help. It is risky to plan on being out of the airport by 2:30 from a 2:00 flight. But, to get to AAA follow the signs off the airport that say North Exit SR436. You need to follow 436 to Colonial (about 8 miles?)- it's a major intersection. Turn Left onto Colonial Drive. The AAA office is on the left (about 1 mile) in a shopping plaza. It is in the end of the plaza, there is a library in there also. They are usually not busy in there. To get to I-4 from AAA turn back left onto Colonial Dr. Continue following it and it intersects I-4 (you want I-4 West bound of course). Hope all this helps.

Also, traffic is usually not that bad going West bound in the afternoon. I don't think you will have any problems with that.

The address for AAA is 4300 E Colonial Drive. The number is 407-894-3333.

Oh- the times? It should take about 20- 30 minutes to drive from the airport to AAA. From AAA to Disney is about another 30-40 minutes.

mco-missy - Thanks alot. To know it's in a plaza with a library is really helpful. I thrive on landmarks! I've figured out I'll pass a Winn Dixie on 436, too. So that will take care of our grocery stop. We're National EA so hopefully we won't be delaye too much getting out of the airport.

travelin tigger - I got the information off mousavers.com but I also called the AAA office to confirm. PLease note: I think it is only good at THAT AAA location.

Rspemont

Thanks for the reply. I found the info on the FL AAA website, but my brother who lives down there doesn't have AAA...oh well!!!

Gotcha. I wasn't trying to be nosey. Just trying to save you the trip if you didn't have to go there.

Anne

mco missy,
Just wanted to follow up and say this went like clockwork. we were on 436 heading north by 2:36, stopped at a winn-dixie, then left on colonial and found the AAA thanks to your great landmark references, and then onto I-4. Got off at the DD exit and headed north a little bit there, too, just to see what other stores were there, then turned back and headed to BWV. Got there around 4:40.

Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter