Orlando Sentinel Op/Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyWaffles

DIS Veteran
I can’t believe the Orlando Sentinel even ran this terribly written opinion piece. Pretty embarrassing stuff here. So whiny and entitled. If you’re upset with Disney being more inclusive, well ... that’s pretty sad.

Thankfully, Disney won’t cave to this small (but very loud) group who is against Disney changing with the times. Bravo to Disney for making the parks more inclusive to all.

Here it is (from the Orlando Sentinel):

I love Disney World, but wokeness is ruining the experience

Last edited:
All I get is a spam Paywall, even when viewing incognito. :sad2:

Last edited:
Frankly, anyone writing articles/editorials using terms like 'wokeness' or 'cancel culture' aren't worth my time to read since I already know what they are going to say......LOL. Such dog-whistle terms tend to back-fire most of the time as they are simply ways to oppose inclusion & diversity and it good to see people are getting wise to that and speaking out against such individuals.

Oh noes. POTC doesn't depict human sex trafficking any more. The experience is ruined. My kids trip is ruined!!! Ruined I tell ya!!!!!

They're taking the shrunken heads guy out on Jungle cruise. Ok wait a minute. Let me get this straight. Jungle cruise has clearly aged out and needs replacement and your complaint is...... they took the shrunken head guy out?

Things change depending on standards.

The original Disneyland Dumbo wasn't actually Dumbo. It was the pink elephants Dumbo saw when he was stone drunk. That got replaced. Was Disney ruined? Nope.

Here's a link about the op ed.

https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/disney-world-wokeness-op-ed/
I bet he didn't get his towel animals either.

And another

https://www.thewrap.com/disney-worl...ash-mountain-jungle-cruise-pirates-caribbean/

Oh noes. POTC doesn't depict human sex trafficking any more. The experience is ruined. My kids trip is ruined!!! Ruined I tell ya!!!!!

They're taking the shrunken heads guy out on Jungle cruise. Ok wait a minute. Let me get this straight. Jungle cruise has clearly aged out and needs replacement and your complaint is...... they took the shrunken head guy out?

Things change depending on standards.

The original Disneyland Dumbo wasn't actually Dumbo. It was the pink elephants Dumbo saw when he was stone drunk. That got replaced. Was Disney ruined? Nope.

Here's a link about the op ed.

https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/disney-world-wokeness-op-ed/
I bet he didn't get his towel animals either.

And another

https://www.thewrap.com/disney-worl...ash-mountain-jungle-cruise-pirates-caribbean/
Thanks for the links. I've decided that neither his criticisms or the reactions are worth my time.

Just pure politics on both sides.

I just got done reading this op-ed. I can not understand how someone can think like this. I realize we all have different opinions, especially when it comes to politics, but seriously, having trouble with taking out a scene that auctioned off women... there is seriously something wrong with wanting to keep this.

I am in the camp of changing to keep up with current stories. I was excited to learn they were changing splash mountain to a Tiana theme. What an amazing princess for little girls to look up to! Honestly, I find splash mountain to be a little boring. The drop is fun and I loved getting to ride it with my girls when they went the first time, but the rest of the ride is just dull.

I know that certain rides like small world and Peter pan will probably never change and that's OK, but to keep a ride that is tied to an I.P. that hasn't been seen by anyone under 35 is pointless.

It's hard to admit you are getting old and what you know doesn't matter any more, but we all have to understand if you don't adapt you will eventually die out. The jungle book is my favorite Disney movie, Baloo is my spirit animal, but my kids don't love it, and that is OK. They don't have to love it, because my memory of the movie is different than what theirs is going to be.

I hope we all move past this hatred of change, and change for the better. It makes our memories of vacations to our favorite place that much better!

No politics here at all.
Tattoos on cast members? What political party is that?
Or missing the mimicking of selling of woman? Is that Democrats or Republicans?
Do you seriously think that the author of what you very accurately described as a "silly rant" was not politically-motivated?

But if you do think he was politically-motivated (and I agree) -- then what was the motivation of OP of this thread? Obviously, to make the other side look bad...which with this clown is REALLY low-hanging fruit. This whole thread was political from the start.

A LOT of the stuff here recently has had political connotations, and the motives of the OPs have been clearly political.

It happens on both sides. People think they are just so clever, and the rest of us are too stupid to notice.

Personally, I don't come to the DIS for political insights, lol. So for me, as that great American philosopher Sweet Brown famously said, "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

Do you seriously think that the author of what you very accurately described as a "silly rant" was not politically-motivated?

But if you do think he was politically-motivated (and I agree) -- then what was the motivation of OP of this thread? Obviously, to make the other side look bad...which with this clown is REALLY low-hanging fruit. This whole thread was political from the start.

A LOT of the stuff here recently has had political connotations, and the motives of the OPs have been clearly political.

It happens on both sides. People think they are just so clever, and the rest of us are too stupid to notice.

Personally, I don't come to the DIS for political insights, lol. So for me, as that great American philosopher Sweet Brown famously said, "Ain't nobody got time for that!"
I see it more religious based than political .
Not seeing anything political in the op Ed or the op posting.

No politics here at all.
Tattoos on cast members? What political party is that?
Or missing the mimicking of selling of woman? Is that Democrats or Republicans?

I couldn't read the op-ed, only the highlights on the link @Cannot_Wait_4Disney posted. :rolleyes: It mentioned "woke" and "cancel culture" two terms to me that feel politically charged. YMMV, and I understand that, but I interpreted it like @JimMIA did.

And all I have to say to the author is if you are going to complain about Disney there are quite a few things I can think of right now --tattoos, haircuts, CM clothing, Jungle Cruise, and POTC are 100% NOT in that category. I am talking about still paying premium prices for a limited experience. That is what you can get upset about. I know, it is a pandemic and I get it, but my last trip a few weeks ago my entire family agreed some of the big magic was lost. It is ok, still love Disney just waiting for more normalcy to resume. (However, I know if they open DLR to other states my family will be telling me to plan a trip, ASAP! DLR is our favorite.)

I couldn't read the op-ed, only the highlights on the link @Cannot_Wait_4Disney posted. :rolleyes: It mentioned "woke" and "cancel culture" two terms to me that feel politically charged. YMMV, and I understand that, but I interpreted it like @JimMIA did.

And all I have to say to the author is if you are going to complain about Disney there are quite a few things I can think of right now --tattoos, haircuts, CM clothing, Jungle Cruise, and POTC are 100% NOT in that category. I am talking about still paying premium prices for a limited experience. That is what you can get upset about. I know, it is a pandemic and I get it, but my last trip a few weeks ago my entire family agreed some of the big magic was lost. It is ok, still love Disney just waiting for more normalcy to resume. (However, I know if they open DLR to other states my family will be telling me to plan a trip, ASAP! DLR is our favorite.)

Meh. Those are just words of the day.
They are often used by boomers to insult younger generations.
I don’t read it that way at all.

Tattos, haircuts and animatronics aren’t political or woke.

His expectations of social norms is more what I would say he was expressing than any political viewpoint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter