OT: sensory issues with an 11 year old

kacaju

DIS Veteran
I have an 11 year old dd with some sensory issues and ADD. She has been on medication to help with the ADD in school. We recently tried a trial of her being off the medication and she seems to be doing well, so for now she is off her meds!!
BUT, my issue with her is she likes to lean on people. I notice it is more when she is off of the medication.
For example, in Church on Sundays she has to lean on me throughout the Mass.
I never really paid much attention to it, other then at times asking her to stop leaning on me (which never really worked!) But she is now 80 lbs and for some reason this week at Church I really noticed how HEAVY she is when she leaned on me. I also noticed she does this with a few friends too.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help her? In my opinion she is getting too old (and heavy) for this behavior and I don't want her to turn off her friends who don't understand why she always *needs* to be touching them. KWIM??

Thanks for any advice.
Tina

My daughter also craves the deep pressure your daughter seems to be seeking with her action. I don't know if it will work for you, but I will tell you what we do for DD. When she seems to be seeking deep pressure while in public, we will do a few joint compressions and squeeze/hug her. Also, I tend to carry a small container of lotion in my bag so we can do a quick lotion rub, applying deep pressure while doing so.

All of this won't help with her friends, but if she can carry her own lotion and apply it herself, it may seem more appropriate to her friends than leaning on them.

At home, we use large pillows to apply deep pressure and we have a hammock swing for her to use when needed.

Also, I would talk to my OT to see if he/she has any suggestions.

I'm going to move this to the disABILITIES Community Board.
I had not thought of the 'deep pressure' aspect, but my DD is also a 'snuggler'. Craving deep pressure makes sense.

I agree with the above poster. Kids with sensory issues tend to crave deep pressure to keep themselves centered and focused. I would definitely talk to an occupational therapist about how to handle this when you're away from home or she's with her friends. Joint compressions and hand squeezing can easily be done almost anywhere. That might be a place to start. Good luck!:)

Thank you! I will call the OT she used to see and get her in for a eval. and see what she can do to help her!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter