Other Options...

I had the opportunity to meet Jennae on the Danube and I found her to be engaging, passionate and wonderful. I did not have the opportunity to tour with her but she does have a stellar reputation on this board. Every guide I have had has been outstanding! Zoe and Hanni I will always love, adore and want to adopt. Caroline and Adam were amazing, wonderful and made sure my mom had an amazing time on her first trip to Europe despite the fact that my dad had just passed away the month before. Not an easy feat. Dusty and James were phenomenal as was Stephanie. They made all me want to take any ABD as long they might be our guides. Ken and Mark Chris on our Winter in Wyoming trip were so phenomenal I want to go on the summer one with them and that was never on my radar. Their passion was infectious and we loved them too. I have yet to have an ABD guide that was not out of this world friendly, engaging and passionate. It's just so hard to even imagine what you describe since my own experiences have been the polar opposite.
We had Jennae on our Danube cruise too! She was precious....and I'm a sucker for corny jokes! Landon, Alexa, Michael, Natalia, Korey, Alica, Robby, Ron, SummerRose, Marcello, Mickie, Dean, Jennae, Chris, Tony....they have all made amazing trips for us! Even when we had a major hotel issue, or when EVERY food in Vietnam had cilantro in it (which Hubby can't eat!), or when we got a stomach bug, the guides were looking out for us and fixing any issue we had. I always let them know how much we appreciate what they do because without them, our trip would be so much more work for Hubby & I! We love going back to Disneyland to hug on some of our faves...we just got to see Michael and Dean last month with a quick hug!

I love all the positive energy on this board today!

I love having a board for other options. As I mentioned, we are trying Austin Adventures next summer and love getting the chance to talk about it here.

I think this board becomes less helpful when there is so much bashing of ABD or any other company. Of course, it is helpful to hear all experiences with a company/trip but things are starting to get a bit repetitive and honestly, are just kind of getting to be a bummer.

I hope we can go back to the discussion of other options besides ABD and keep this board going in a positive direction.

I'll start by saying that we just switched our Austin Adventures trip from Scotland to Belize (we loved Peru so much we just wanted to go someplace other than Europe). They were great with the change! No extra charges, etc. The Belize trip looks AWESOME! We are not going until Summer 2018 but we can't wait!

We have Alaska and Australia ABDs to tide us over in the meantime!

I would love love love to hear any feedback on Antarctica options! There are a lot...who has gone across Drake Passage? Fly across? Sail across? Am I going to DIE? hahaha

I love having a board for other options. As I mentioned, we are trying Austin Adventures next summer and love getting the chance to talk about it here.

I think this board becomes less helpful when there is so much bashing of ABD or any other company. Of course, it is helpful to hear all experiences with a company/trip but things are starting to get a bit repetitive and honestly, are just kind of getting to be a bummer.

I hope we can go back to the discussion of other options besides ABD and keep this board going in a positive direction.

I'll start by saying that we just switched our Austin Adventures trip from Scotland to Belize (we loved Peru so much we just wanted to go someplace other than Europe). They were great with the change! No extra charges, etc. The Belize trip looks AWESOME! We are not going until Summer 2018 but we can't wait!

We are doing the Austin Adventures Yellowstone Winter Family trip this Dec./Jan. and will definitely report back with our feedback regarding Austin Adventures as a tour provider. This will be our first trip with them.

Well, I don't mind talking about my tour experiences with other groups (Tauck, CIE & G Adventures/National Geographic) on here. I am just always mindful that this board is for discussing ABD experiences, and I don't want to come across as bad mouthing ABD. Just because I have taken trips with other companies, it is in no way a criticism of ABD. And quite honestly, some tour companies probably work better for one person than another. We all have our expectations when we travel. And on a more practical note, sometimes you have to go with the tour provider who has the sites/experiences you want in a particular destination.

I love being able to compare experiences, though! Sometimes it helps reinforce that one company may be better than another, depending on what you want in a travel experience.

Butterfield and Robinson offers a family trip to Morocco!

In previous years Thomson Family Adventures also had a Morocco trip, but they didn't offer it this year except as a private tour on request. Maybe it will come back in the future. If anybody is interested in the future, it would probably be a good idea to drop them an email so they know there is interest.

I don't think the phrase "blanket statement" means what you think it means. Couldn't resist a nod to Princess Bride :goodvibes

Love this quote...when DH and I are hung up on communication one of us will say this and it opens it up again :)

I expect the bad experiences to lead to something good too. They usually do.

Love this even more...learning from negative/bad/disappointing situations is really helpful in life...or so I've found.

Yes-reading about other options is so very helpful especially if ABD doesn't work for time/$/other considerations.

Please report back on AA when you return from Belize :)

And quite honestly, some tour companies probably work better for one person than another. We all have our expectations when we travel. And on a more practical note, sometimes you have to go with the tour provider who has the sites/experiences you want in a particular destination.

I love being able to compare experiences, though! Sometimes it helps reinforce that one company may be better than another, depending on what you want in a travel experience.

Exactly! Travel and touring isn't a one size fits no one proposition. I'll always get fired up reading on these boards about some of the other tour operators, research them and think "que horror!!! No way am I (fill in the blank) doing that on vacation." Having said that, I really enjoy reading about people who have and had a wonderful experience. There are so many options it's great to have a resource where they can be shared.

I would love love love to hear any feedback on Antarctica options! There are a lot...who has gone across Drake Passage? Fly across? Sail across? Am I going to DIE? hahaha

I will post a review of the trip when we get back. I can tell you that there are plenty of teenagers to keep my (soon-to-be) 15 year old daughter entertained. And so far the service has been exceptional.

Abercrombie and Kent held my stateroom for much longer than the 2 weeks they were supposed to while I made up my mind. I thought that was really nice because I had the last room on the ship help with no money down.

I was reading about the Drake Passage last night (I also watched a storm video with 25 foot waves from the deck of an expedition ship). I read that only 20% of the passengers get physically ill when it's the "Drake Shake", though most still feel ill. I also read sometimes the gales are so bad they can fling you out of bed. I'm hoping we don't experience that. Although it could be good ab exercise to try to stay upright in bed when the ship is rocking in winds from 8 - 12 (with 12 being the absolute worst)! Seriously though I read that glasses of water and food can and will slide right off the table onto the floor -- for those who are in the dining room during a storm (which is usually about half the ship), while the rest of the passengers are in their staterooms with saltines. So at least we know what to expect.

Flying to Antarctica is also very challenging. I prefer the ship!

We are so excited for this trip. It will be our last continent, which makes it very special for us.

Here are the ages of the tween/teenagers on our voyage:
Females: 11, 10, 11, 12, 14, 11, 16, 14, 13, 12, 17, 15
Males: 14, 8, 13, 9, 12, 13, 16, 12, 10, 14, 11

Last edited:
I will post a review of the trip when we get back. I can tell you that there are plenty of teenagers to keep my (soon-to-be) 15 year old daughter entertained. And so far the service has been exceptional.

Abercrombie and Kent held my stateroom for much longer than the 2 weeks they were supposed to while I made up my mind. I thought that was really nice because I had the last room on the ship help with no money down.

I was reading about the Drake Passage last night (I also watched a storm video with 25 foot waves from the deck of an expedition ship). I read that only 20% of the passengers get physically ill when it's the "Drake Shake", though most still feel ill. I also read sometimes the gales are so bad they can fling you out of bed. I'm hoping we don't experience that. Although it could be good ab exercise to try to stay upright in bed when the ship is rocking in winds from 8 - 12 (with 12 being the absolute worst)! Seriously though I read that glasses of water and food can and will slide right off the table onto the floor -- for those who are in the dining room during a storm (which is usually about half the ship), while the rest of the passengers are in their staterooms with saltines. So at least we know what to expect.

We are so excited for this trip. It will be our last continent, which makes it very special for us.
That's exactly why we want to go!! To be the last continent! Love love love!!

I'm super interesting in this report, too. Antartica is definitely on our list. I want to do the north first though (greenland, svalvard, faroes etc.) I got close to the Faroes (my #1 bucket item) but as those who were on my DCL Iceland/Norway cruise remember, they pulled the port. One day!

For those that have used Tauck (Small Groups) what did you find the age range to be?

My husband and I are using them in October since ABD's Adult Only Italy trip did not work for us date wise.

~~~

Has anyone done of the Polar Bear Journeys through National Geographic, Tauck or someone else? Which one was your favorite? My husband originally wanted Japan for 2019 - but he now wants to see the Polar Bears...

So ABD guides who dress up in cultural clothes that have nothing to do with their own culture (cultural appropriation) in a restaurant that is 800 years old and allow their guests to insult other members of their tour who happen to be from another country is being respectful of all people, cultures and places?

I am also a Canadian -- born and raised. I have made some amazing friends on our trips -- one family we have traveled with twice since our ABD together. Another family we met in Australia was supposed to come to China with us but didn't get their Visa (this does happen albeit very rarely). We met another Canadian family on our China trip last summer. We've never been disrespected at any time by anyone on our trips. If I felt that I was I would very gently say something to let the person know that I was offended, but I have a good sense of humor (at least I think so lol) and very thick skin. I am used to people telling me they find Canadians to be so nice.

I personally don't think the guides can pay attention to all conversations at all times, so I wouldn't put the onus on them to say something to the person who was making insensitive remarks. The guides are laser-focused on the logistics of the trips and making sure everything goes smoothly -- unless you are speaking to them directly chances are they don't have an inkling what people are talking about.

We had a very, very sick traveler on our trip to N. Italy / Switzerland last summer (he started getting quite ill on our second full day) and the guides handled the situation with such professionalism I was astonished, since they were both quite young (mid 20s and late 20s).

Last edited:
This reminds me of the time we arrived in Beijing for our ABD. My 9yo son had assumed Jennae (our guide in Vietnam the previous year) would be our guide for China as well. When we met our new guides, my ds happened to mention his confusion. That evening Jennae facetimed in from Europe to just say hi to him and how much she though he'd like the new guides.

During my backstage magic, Michael had overheard I had a guide name Jason years earlier. He went out of his way to contact his friend Jason who was a VIP guide at DL to come over to Carthay Circle Restaurant just to say hi to me.

I'm not going to comment beyond the fact that these are two wonderful people. We all can make mistakes. Sometimes what we do within reason doesn't please everyone. But these are two of the best people and two of the best guides I have had the pleasure of having in my limited experience of ABD and private tours. Just my experience though.

Butterfield and Robinson offers a family trip to Morocco!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm off to look it up now.

Here are the ages of the tween/teenagers on our voyage:
Females: 11, 10, 11, 12, 14, 11, 16, 14, 13, 12, 17, 15
Males: 14, 8, 13, 9, 12, 13, 16, 12, 10, 14, 11

Antarctica is slowly making its way up our list as well. I was very much wondering what the age range on the A&K trip was. It will probably still be another 4-5 yrs before my youngest is old enough. I only want to do this trip once as a family. So, this helps a lot.

I am also a Canadian -- born and raised. I have made some amazing friends on our trips -- one family we have traveled with twice since our ABD together. Another family we met in Australia was supposed to come to China with us but didn't get their Visa (this does happen albeit very rarely). We met another Canadian family on our China trip last summer. We've never been disrespected at any time by anyone on our trips. If I felt that I was I would very gently say something to let the person know that I was offended, but I have a good sense of humor (at least I think so lol) and very thick skin. I am used to people telling me they find Canadians to be so nice.

I personally don't think the guides can pay attention to all conversations at all times, so I wouldn't put the onus on them to say something to the person who was making insensitive remarks. The guides are laser-focused on the logistics of the trips and making sure everything goes smoothly -- unless you are speaking to them directly chances are they don't have an inkling what people are talking about.

We had a very, very sick traveler on our trip to N. Italy / Switzerland last summer (he started getting quite ill on our second full day) and the guides handled the situation with such professionalism I was astonished, since they were both quite young (mid 20s and late 20s).
You sound like wonderful travel companions!

This reminds me of the time we arrived in Beijing for our ABD. My 9yo son had assumed Jennae (our guide in Vietnam the previous year) would be our guide for China as well. When we met our new guides, my ds happened to mention his confusion. That evening Jennae facetimed in from Europe to just say hi to him and how much she though he'd like the new guides.
That was so thoughtful of her to do that! We have South Africa on our 2018 list and I know Jennae runs SA often so I hope she is our guide! We had her on the Danube but since it's not quite the same as far as getting to know your guides, we spent some time with her but I want more! ha!

That was so thoughtful of her to do that! We have South Africa on our 2018 list and I know Jennae runs SA often so I hope she is our guide! We had her on the Danube but since it's not quite the same as far as getting to know your guides, we spent some time with her but I want more! ha!

Yep. I saw her FB posts from South Africa last month. We have South Africa in July and China again in October. I'm hoping she's on one of them.

Yep. I saw her FB posts from South Africa last month. We have South Africa in July and China again in October. I'm hoping she's on one of them.
China this October? We're doing that itenerary! We've got 2 other mother/daughter duos joining us that we've met on other ABDs...do I already know we'll be together on this itenerary too? I forget who I've connected with here on which trips! hahahahahah

China this October? We're doing that itenerary! We've got 2 other mother/daughter duos joining us that we've met on other ABDs...do I already know we'll be together on this itenerary too? I forget who I've connected with here on which trips! hahahahahah

We're on the 10/14 trip. It's the DIS Boards ABD. It finishes 10/25. I'm guessing you're on the 10/22 trip?

For those that have used Tauck (Small Groups) what did you find the age range to be?

We did one of the small groups Tauck tours last year, and the age range was from an adult grandson (youngest person) to three people who are mature but nowhere near retiring yet (me, my other half & the grandson's mother) to definitely retired. I'm not saying that to be disparaging of retirement. I'm just trying to think of a way to gently state the ages of our group. We skewed to much older than I expected.

That doesn't mean it was a bad trip, and that doesn't mean all Tauck tours are like that. That was just our experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter