Our baby opossum (update)

Pebblszzz

<font color=teal>Official Member of TFPP, but plea
Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

We have contacted 3 different wildlife rehabilitators, and gotten the info we needed.

Of course, they'd prefer we bring him to them, but hubby was too attached by that time.

The rehabilitator here locally advised us what to do, and said that in time, we will need to bring him to her for a "socializing" period before he is released into the wild - and if he is too "imprinted" they will keep him as one of their adults.

I was worried about the imprinting, and she said that we aren't caring for him any differently than she would - so we're doing ok.

Meanwhile, he's so cute and fun! He loves to be held, and we feed him with eyedroppers. He spends his playtime either on hubby's head or tangled up under my ponytail.

And no, he doesn't poopy on us - he has to be very awake and concentrate really hard to do that - the look on his face when he does is utterly priceless!

I'll post a pic when hubby comes back from CA with the camera.

I'd love to see some pics :)
How long do you get to foster him before bringing him to the rehabilitator?

Wait a minute....wait just a minute.....The look on that critters face is PRICELESS when he goes poopie on you?????

You need to turn the TV on.....Your level of entertainment has taken a DIVE......ROTFLMBO!!

The look on MY face would be priceless too I guess if I saw him do that!!! :p :p

We'll keep him until we can't anymore...she said "oh, you'll know when!!"

My guess is that it's the first time he tries to bite or spray. I just have to hope he doesn't succeed at either.

As for Poppy going "poopey" on us..he doesn't do that!!! He sits on a paper towel while we feed him, and usually, as we start cleaning up the baby food jars & eyedroppers, he wanders off to a corner of the towel....and his mouth opens wide (like he's "straining"...lol) and he does his business.

When he's in our lap, on our hair, or sleeping in the palm of our hand, he's all snuggly and happy, just snoozing away.

'Possums are lazy little creatures.

And if you think they're ugly, scary, or gross - you just wait till you see a baby one! They're so adorable! My aunt is a rehabilitator of wild squirrels - you should see her dress bounce (she generally has 3-4 of them in her brassierre at any given time).

:eek: :eek: She has three or four squirrels in her BRA??!?!?!?!? I don't think so thank you!

yeah, it kinda creeps me out, too - but she says they need to stay warm and be close to a heartbeat....

I sure hope they don't have teeth yet!

And I KNOW Poppy ain't goin' anywhere NEAR my undergarments!

ROTFLOL! Pooping baby possums and squirrels in brassieres. You just never know what you're going to read about on the CB. :p

I know her aunt....and the first time i saw her and her left boob starting "walking" was pretty funny........I've always been a boob looker.....It's different when they LOOK BACK AT YA!!! :eek:

Won't catch him near your undies huh????? Well I hope for you're sake that one morning you don't grab a pair and find......

Poppy Pooped your Panties!! :jester: :p

You and your husband are very kind to care for the little guy. I'm glad he is thriving :)

Originally posted by TennVolTony
I know her aunt....and the first time i saw her and her left boob starting "walking" was pretty funny........I've always been a boob looker.....It's different when they LOOK BACK AT YA!!! :eek:

TVT-- That was just too funny!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter