Our Family's "magic - June 16-23

Jobro2

Mouseketeer
What a great week! We all agreed it was the best time ever and hope to be able to go again in 2003!
Our party: Me (DW 39), DH 47, DS 11, and DD 9

First I just want to say thank you to all of the Dis’ers who’s advice and help before our trip really made the difference. I had so many incidents where we would be talking with people and they would say "oh, you’ve done this before" and I’d say, no, and explain our boards and all the great advice we had planning. So thank you all!!

We arrived Friday afternoon and stayed at the Radisson. The hotel was very nice and we had a room for $99 which was ok. Carpet was stained and the room was very "lived in". Next time I would spend alittle more $$ for a nicer room, but it worked fine. We had a huge storm Friday afternoon and we even heard there was a tornado at Cape Canaveral. The weather reports predicted the same for Sat. afternoon, and all I could think of was I hope our Sail-A-Way party didn’t get rained out!

We caught a 10 am shuttle to the port Sat. am. I met Skeegan and her family in the lobby that morning. We were quickly at the port and it was practically empty! After about 20 minutes they started checking us in and then we quickly moved to stand in line (the first of many "Disney Lines", we called them!) to get onto the board. We were probably the 10th people or so in line. While at the port, I met Patches4, Jet, Indymom and Equilo’s DW (hope I didn’t forget anyone). It was really nice to put faces to the people I have "talked" to for so long!
First let me say that we were told we were on a full ship of 2,700 and half were kids!!
It really didn’t seem like that many…

We boarded the ship around 12:10, our family was announced and they took our picture. They all clapped for us and we were in awe as we walked into this magnificent lobby with all these uniformed CM’s clapping for us! We were made to feel special right off the bat!!Went to Topsiders for the buffet (yes, the shrimp were fantastic!) I then went to Palos..ressies started at 1 pm and I walked right in and got our Brunch reservation made for Monday, no problems! We decided not to do Palos for dinner, and eat with the kids, so brunch was "our thing". (it was GREAT, more on that in Part 2) We then made our way to our stateroom (6110-Cat. 6 w/verandah). Our stateroom host was Jeff from the Philippines and he was wonderful. Our room was cleaned 2-3 times a day, we had great towel animals every night which my kids loved (hey, me and DH also did!!) He kept our collapsible cooler full of ice also. We brought 1 ½ cases of beer with us….so the cooler worked our very well.

Our dinner rotation was LAPLAPL, which surprised us. That gave us Animators on the formal night and Lumiers on the Tropical night. We thought with kids we would get maybe PAL, or APL, but maybe with the ship so full and our kids on the sort-of-older side, they gave us that. It all worked out fine though. We had the early seating, which we did have to rush a bit for each evening, but I don’t think we could have done the later seating. Dinner took 1 ½ hours and I couldn’t see us eating till 10 pm at night.

Our servers was Jelidi from France (ooo-laa-laa!), Willy from the Philippines, and our Head Server was Jeff from England. Jelidi and Willy were fantastic…Jelidi gave my DD (9) especially so much attention and took her by the hand every night and lead her to our table. He wrote messages on her desserts and gave her hugs and kisses…at first my DD was a bit hesitant, but I explained to her about different cultures and how the French were and how in 10 years she would be dying to get this attention from a French man!! After that she was abit more comfortable. The food was great, we had no complaints, which our bathroom scale can certainly vouch for us!!! My DS often ordered an appetizer from the adult menu, his meal from the kids, and a dessert from the adults! My hubby caught on quickly that you could order 2 appetizers, and he even ordered 2 entrees a few times. All the restaurants and meals were great and Jelidi always had some magic tricks to end the night with.

Our first day at sea was really spent getting acquainted with the ship. The kids loved the kids clubs…my DD spent quite a bit of time in her club. My ds (11) spent some time, but then met friends and we basically let him "do his own thing" as long as he checked in with us and we knew where he would be. It worked out fantastically. Both kids made many friends also. The counselors were awesome,. You could tell they really enjoyed their jobs and they really kept a good eye on the kids. If one started to "wander", someone was immediately there rounding them up. I felt very secure with them with my kids! Our first day at seas was wonderful. I must say that I was expecting a real problem with the lounge chairs, but we didn’t experience any of that. We are early risers, and were normally up at the pool by 9:30 and there were tons of empty chairs by all of the pools. Even around 10:30 there were still chairs available. Now if you were to wait till 12:30 and expect to get a few chairs together, you may have a problem, but many chairs cleared out around 1 or so, and there were many tables around in the shade which were available.

Scoops was a hit with the kids and Plutos had the BEST chicken tenders any of us had ever had! Pizza was also very good. You never went hungry! Well, need to get thoughts together for Part 2!!!!

Great report!! Thanks for all the detail. We will be sailing with my DD9 in Jan. and I am looking forward to hearing more about the Lab.

Wondering if you took the Avis Shuttle or the Radisson shuttle at 10am? We are concerned that we won't get on the Radisson shuttle early enough since we won't check in to the Radisson until 9pm on Fri. night. I have heard that you have to sign up early for the shuttle if you want to get there by 1030-1100am.

Looking forward to the rest of your report!!

Happy Cruisin' MNmom:jester:

We took the Radisson shuttle to the port...we signed up around 3 pm and had no problems getting an early shuttle, in fact, the shuttle apparently started even earlier and we caught an earlier run. Avis is right there at the Radisson. We rented a car also and returned it to the Avis place around 9:30 in the morning on Saturday. They offered to shuttle us to the port also, but we told them we had a spot on the Radisson one. She said if we had any problems we could be transported by them...I wouldn't worry too much. If worse comes to worse, you could always catch a cab...it is only a 5 minute drive...

Thanks so much!! I feel much better about arriving late on Friday. Looking forward to starting our great trip at the Radisson with no worries!!

Happy Cruisin' MNmom:jester:

Jobro2,

My family will be sailing on the Magic in October and we will be in cabin 7112 (One floor up and one room over).

How did you like that part of the ship?? Was it really convenient to topsiders??? Did you "feel" the ocean much???

Just curious.

Scott

We were very pleased with the area we stayed. We were close to the AFT elevators, so all we had to do was get on and go up to #9 for Topsiders. All the food is in the rear, the "fun" (clubs, theaters, ets) are in the front. We didn't feel much motion at all. I was worried going into this that I might get whoozy, even though I usially don't. I took bonine the first night and didn't at all after that. We could usually feel a slight vibration and sometimes during dinner, I felt a very slight swaying, but not much at all. No doors opened in our room, no sliding closets. I felt it was very calming and never slept so well!

We also had jelidi, willy, and jeff on the june 2 cruise.
They were absolutely great with our kids. Jelidi informed us that when his current contract is up in a few weeks he is going to Paris to open a restaraunt. He told us he started at Euro-Disney after high school and transfered to the Magic when she started sailing.

They were the best!!!! Is Jelidi planning on staying in Paris and leaving Disney?? That would be such a shame!! Couldn't believe he is only 23 years old! They MADE our trip!!

He told us that when his contract was up in July, that he was leaving Disney to start his own restaurant. He did say however if it doesn't work out that he would be back. He told us that he has managed to save quite a bit of money. He makes more now in a week than he made at Euro-Disney in a month.

We too had Jelidi, Willy & Jeff on the June 9th cruise, table 72 first seating. They were all great and made dining that much more enjoyable.

My hubby and I figured they make pretty good money. We figured with our family of 4 and our tip, then all the other tables they had each week, multiplied out over a month and then a 6 month term..I bet they do very well! ??We keep wondering who is at our table this week (#71-lst seating)...and in our room! We miss it terribly!

They work horrendous hours, up early to serve all three meals, then must cover C.C. every third week. They average one day off aweek, sometimes only a half day off.
I wouldn't want to work those hours!
Also, they stay in cabins smaller than a catagory 12 and two to a cabin.

I Have to agree with Cruzindon.... the CM hours are awful, to say the least! I asked most of the CM's we met and every one of them told of the same situation. Basically, they sign a 6 or sometimes 8 mth contract and according to the CM's, work 16 hour days, 7 days a week! Obviously, they have to have sometime off.... our server did mention he was able to get to his favorite Indian restaurant for lunch while we were docked at St. Maarten. At the end of their contract, they get approximately 2 mths off.
I do know it's not a job I would be able to do as well as they can... smiling and being nice to everyone, all of the time????? Kudos to all of the hard working CM's!!

:bounce:

Our server Jelidi told us he gets only about 4 hours of sleep a night...The deserve every cent they make and more...

We had the same servers, same time & were at table 74!!!! We must have seen you. They were the best servers even if they did enforce the corkage fee 100% of the time!

Can't believe you didn't mention those nice "tieless" people who sat next to you!! Glad to hear you got home o.k. I'm sure you beat us. We got off the ship very quickly(I never knew I went through customs!) and made the first Disney bus back to the airport. Our flight did not leave until 6:20 so we got a car and went to Walt Disney World. We didn't pay to go in any parks but did walk the boardwalk and Pleasure Island. Also had lunch at The ESPN Club. That was fun! Our flight was excellent and the two hour drive home not too bad as I was the only one awake. Got home about 10:45PM and although we enjoyed our bed on the ship, ours felt great. Kids left for camp on Sunday so we have had another great week. I am catching up at work and she is doing the same with laundry. We have eaten out at a different restaurant every night with friends(whose kids are also at camp). Back to the real world next week! Thanks for helping make our vacation a great one!! SDK

We were on the same cruise too. It seems like our experiences almost mirror yours. Are you planning your next cruise already? My kids would leave today if we would let them. It was awesome!

Wasn't it the best??? Yes, we will do it again in 2003....would love to go next year, but unless we win the lottery, it will be 2003 for us!! Can't decide though if we want to do the same one or try the new Western...I really loved the days at sea, and the western trip only has 2 days at sea. Will be anxious to hear next year how the cruisers like the "new" itinerary!! Glad you had a good trip also!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter