our george w bush jr. commemorative trip

d-r

<font color=red>l|ll|||ll||ll||<font color=purple>
OK - here is the situation.

Melissa and I have been very lucky for the past couple of years. We had ap's and we were always able to score good rates at the resorts. In the past year and a half or so, we stayed -
May 2000 boardwalk villas and wilderness lodge
sept 2000 polly concierge
feb 2001 grand floridian
may 2001 boardwalk villas and contemp. tower

Then our passes ran out. We are going to disneyland oct 31-nov 4 and staying at the paradise pier, and then we are going with a bunch of couples and friends in January to walt disney world for drinking around the world and staying at the dolphin. And we have the rough plans for a trip next march to go to usf and stay at hard rock hotel. So we are still pretty lucky. The thing is, we were sort of glad not to renew our annual passes so that we wouldn't feel stupid buying new tickets for disneyland or usf.

But then it happend. Everybody posting all these crazy rates on here. And we found ourselves plotting and planning. Should we squeeze in another trip? No, we shouldn't.

Well, we do have a couple of days left on old hopper passes that around somewhere. humm.

Se we began planning our george w. bush jr. trip, and it is almost here - we are to leave this Friday, unless we take a last minute ditch. The whole idea was that we had to plan the trip for $600 or less.

Now, apparently we aren't good budget-ears, or else that is pretty tough to do.

We scored $54 one way tickets on air-tran from flint michigan, so it is $108 x 2= $216.

We have reservations at all star music (do you remember we asked about it on here) for $49 plus tax = $55 x 3 = 165.

So we have $381 already. That is given. Now we have a little over $200 to work with.

OK, time to budget. We said we wouldn't take Mears, but we can save like 20 bucks there. That is about $50, taking us to $430. Plus this will save a lot on tip over tiffany; we'll only have a carry on a piece so this will be just a couple bucks each way.

So we planned our day to go to marketplace on Friday evening, and eat at wolfgang pucks express. Let's say $25. OK 455.

Saturday to MGM in the am, then to epcot. For a late lunch we want to go to espn club and watch the auburn game and have a couple of beers. Let's say $500.

For supper, we have 7:30 illuminations, o0ps, $550.

Now, we can go to pleasure island free, so adventurers club with a couple of drinks each, $570.

Uh oh. Sunday MK. Lunch at cosmic rays, $590.

Yikes. We have PS for 'ohanas for supper; we thought that was being value conscious, you know, all you can eat. So now we are at $650. And we didn't really splurge on anything....I think we are going to skip out on rose and crown. And maybe we could switch dinner at ohanas with tonga tost and breakfast at kona. We could shave a beer somewhere, and I think we can pull it in for $600. Well, we'll get close I guess. Dang, how much has this been costing when we stayed at deluxes and ate at deluxes??

Well, I guess I should have posted this on the budget board or the trip planning board or something, but I started posting it here on the resort board, because I was thinking about people dogging on value air lines like air tran, and knocking on the value resorts like all stars. So here we are. If you were us, would you throw in the towel and spend next week end at home, or would you spend an unexpected weekend at wdw, even if you flew air tran, slept all stars, rode mears, and ate cheap?

Do you think we can do it for the $600?

DR

PS when I say george w. bush jr. commemorative trip i'm not trying to say that I'm exactly a gwbjr supporter or anything, just that we are trying to go for $600. Please don't blame my use of $600 for social security or lay offs or anything.

This might be something people over on the Budget board can help with, so I'll go ahead and move it over there.

(well, I was going to, but someone beat me to it as I was typing this :) )

It sounds like you've already purchased the airfare. If so, I'd say go ahead and do the trip since that accounts for over 1/3 of your $600. Sure, you could apply those tickets toward future travel, but I'm sure you'll also pay an additional fee to do so.

Definitely go for it! I've stayed at the All-Stars twice, and they were fine. I've used Mears 3 times - and no complaints there. Since you'll return to WDW a few more times in the next year, you really don't NEED to buy any souvenirs now...just take photos! As for the meals...drink lots of water! Have a GREAT time!

GO FOR IT...............you got great air fare and AS is fine. Have a great trip.

I think it sounds like a blast! Kinda like a challenge to see if you can stay under $600 (or at least close)! Have fun!!!

Look at it this way.....you are not merely taking a trip to WDW; you are performing a task of vital national importance-Stimulating The Economy! I'll bet you are starting to feel noble thinking about it that way.

But, wait....isn't g.w.'s party's symbol an elephant?......and isn't (gasp) Dumbo an elephant?.....could we be on to something here?....do I smell (shudder) conspiracy?....could this become known as Disneygate or, even, Maingate?;)

Seriously, DR, go...fly Airtran...stay AllStar....eat cheap....have a GREAT time. Sometimes the unplanned, spur of the moment trip is the most fun. It may be just what the doctor (or prez) ordered.

It sounds like a really fun trip. I would keep the Rose & Crown ressies if you can since watching Illuminations from there is so much fun! Have a great trip!

I think this sounds like great fun and I would for sure go for it.

I also would let you spend a tad bit more than the 600 because if you were at home you would eat also so I would budget in that money - assuming you might eat out once or twice over a weekend --

But that is just the way my mind works. I can justify a trip anyway, anyhow.

Liz

Think of it as research for the rest of us! Let us know how close your budget comes to being right. I might have to try this experiment myself later in the spring. I'll tell DH it is not another Disney trip, it's research. HMMMM I wonder if I can get away with that one?;)

Oh that sounds like fun! Think of the great story you will have to tell!

Go, by all means go to WDW and have a Great weekend! What an experiment, and I can see a new guidebook out of this one, or at least a handbook. WDW on $600.00 or less.
Definitely go, spur of the moment trips are usually a blast!

1981 off site
1986 off site
1990 off site
1992 Carribean Beach Resort
1994 All Star Sports
1996 Port Orleans

wooohooo
September 15, 2001 7 day land/sea
Polynesian and Disney Magic

:pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc :jester: :cool:

Hi d-r,

I certainly join everyone else in wishing you the best on your trip, however I just found out some disappointing news yesterday regarding these $300.00 and $600.00 "gifts" from "W" and Company.

It turns out this money is nothing more than "AN ADVANCE" if you will on your next year's tax return refund. Very simply put, if after doing your tax return for year 2001 next April, you figure you are getting a $1000.00 refund back, instead you will actually only get $400 assuming you and your spouse received one of these $600.00 gift checks.

Please consult your own tax person about this, but I trust my tax man when he gave me this crappy news!

Sorry for the bummer, just another gem from our great President!

Wendell :(

Sounds like fun. I read it said "Better All-Stars than no Disney at all!"

Did you check the "Ground Transportation" section over at Mousesavers for public bus information? I've never taken the bus, but I'd give it a try to save $40+ dollars. I know Orlando also has city bus info on the web somewhere too. Just a thought.

Wendell,

You seem so pessimistic about the tax rebate. Would you feel the same if you were offered a rebate on an appliance you purchased? Or a new car?

I just purchased a new computer and got a good bit back in rebates. I didn't criticize the manufacturer for offering it. If I had bought the same computer a month earlier, I wouldn't have received any rebate.

As far as tax refunds go: first, I can make better use of that money than any government can, you know, stimulating the economy (patriotic duty, etc.); second, if I had to wait 'till spring to get that $600.00 rebate in the form of a tax refund, I would in essence have given the government an interest free $600.00 loan (wouldn't it be nice for my mortgage company to do the same for me); third, at least the Prez kept his word on that one and hopefully will on other campaign promises.

Having said that, I do think we should keep these board non-political. Sorry, I didn't follow my own advise but this kind of thing is a hot button with me.

Hey everyone, sorry about the soap boxing! Gee, I actually forgot where I was!

Regardless of where this money is coming from, I hope you have a safe and wonderful trip!

Wendell

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter