Our July 22-29th trip with Autistic Son: GAC

admepo

Mouseketeer
Just wanted to let those who were curious know that on our latest trip to WDW we went to the guest services desk in the afternoon at MK and got a GAC for our son Jacob who is 4 years old and has autism. We got the use a stroller as a wheelchair stamp and fastpass or alternate entrance stamp. We were able to use this without an issue on a number of rides and not once were we ever asked to go and get a fastpass to use alongside of this card. I had read that on here before we went and was so nervous since the previous times we had gone we were never asked to do that. But we had no issue with it and I even asked a CM about it and was told that we did not have to get a fastpass and that using our GAC would be enough. So we did that the entire trip and had no problems. Jacob did wonderful while we were there. He is always a different child at WDW. Hope everyone else has the same easy experience! :)

I'm glad to hear that your trip was a success. Autistic Dd and I are going by ourselves in 10 days and I can't imagine trying to explain to her that she can't go on the ride when we get there. Usually we've had some other family member get our fast passes but this time that won't be possible.

We have had times when the attraction has already had too many people with special needs waiting and so have been given a piece of paper with a time written on it to return (basically a hand written fastpass). That is always a possibility to be aware of.
Note: Not all GACs (Guest Assistance Cards) have the same messages on them or allow the same things.

busykate said:
I'm glad to hear that your trip was a success. Autistic Dd and I are going by ourselves in 10 days and I can't imagine trying to explain to her that she can't go on the ride when we get there. Usually we've had some other family member get our fast passes but this time that won't be possible.

I sympathize with you - I'm going Sept. 14 to 21, just me and DS. When we all go, DH can get fastpasses, but with just the two of us that doesn't work! Last year when it just the two of us, we did pretty good with the GAC, except on TT. And on POC I misjudged and thought the line was shorter than it was - we had a complete meltdown just minutes away from the loading point and never did get to ride. With Connor, if we can't go on the ride right now, he refuses to do anything else while we wait for a return time (even getting a snack) and just keeps trying to get to the ride. And if we get in a long line, he melts down after about 15 minutes.

Good luck!

LisaB

Thanks so much for the information--sounds like you have EXACTLY the accomadations we need with our 7 year old autistic ds. Like the others who have posted here, being in a que line is HORRID for Chandler. And he definatley is the here and now type kid. Top that, we also use a wheelchair stroller (durable medical equipment, but looks like a stroller and less like a wheelchair--more comfy for him). Any other suggestions for us? We will be going in April.

Thank you so much for the information. We will be taking DS, who will be 4, in December. He has fairly severe autism, but at times can appear like everyone else. He doesn't have medical issues, but waiting in line in his stroller would certainly be easier. He tends to just run off, and has a hard time understanding that he cannot just run up to things but has to wait in line. We are going off-season, will start early and follow the TGM touring plans and get fastpasses wherever necessary. My biggest concerns is waiting in line as well as being able to exit a show if he gets too loud. We were stuck once in Hall of Presidents and could not get out--not a great memory. :blush:

marj70 said:
My biggest concerns is waiting in line as well as being able to exit a show if he gets too loud. We were stuck once in Hall of Presidents and could not get out--not a great memory. :blush:
One hint for all the indoor theater type shows that I can think of, when you come into the theater, you are on one end of the row. If you continue all the way across the row to the other end, you will be in the closest seats to the exit. Most people want to be in the middle seats for the best view, so chances of being able to go past them and get an "exit end" seat is pretty good. The exit doors are marked.
The only exceptions I can think of are Caroussel of Progress and Ellen's Energy Adventure - 2 theater attractions that you can't exit once they start.

Would they allow you to use a Disney rental stroller as a wheelchair though? The more I think about it, the easier it would be to do certain things like Fantasmic if he was in his stroller confined. We have HUGE problems with the fleeing thing--just running off. If Alex has a seatbelt on he will usually sit and relax. I don't want up front seating or anything like that though... We actually usually stick to the back or sides in case we have to exit.

marj70 said:
Would they allow you to use a Disney rental stroller as a wheelchair though? The more I think about it, the easier it would be to do certain things like Fantasmic if he was in his stroller confined. We have HUGE problems with the fleeing thing--just running off. If Alex has a seatbelt on he will usually sit and relax. I don't want up front seating or anything like that though... We actually usually stick to the back or sides in case we have to exit.
Yes, they will let you use a Disney rental stroller. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the Disney park strollers have seatbelts. Hopefully, someone who knows will post.
I DO know that the Disney strollers are made of a firm plastic and come up pretty far on the sides. Many people have reported that their children with autism spectrum disorders really like the firm feel of the seats and the way the sides cut down on stimulation.

We rented a Disney stroller 12/04 and were able to get the "can use stroller as a wheelchair" stamp on our GAC.

admepo: thanks for the useful info. The stamp that you received: can use fastpass or alternate entrance, it didn't actually say "fastpass" on the alternate entrance stamp did it (I thought it just said "......alternate entrance ......"???? If so, the stamps have changed since 12/04?

Like others who have posted on this thread, we will be going without an extra adult (to get the fastpasses), just me and two kids. But the more I look at DDs behaviours lately, I think if I sat her down and explained how fastpass works, she will be able to manage FP. If I give her the power to get the FPs and manage them, I think she will do fine. You know, the more I read about DIsney, its not just rides/attractions. As many of you probably agree, there are a lot of lessons that can be taught there also.

I would like to ask people NOT to post exact language of what the GACs say ans exactly what they allow. That is information that people have told me has been misused in the past.
Thanks.

riu girl said:
Like others who have posted on this thread, we will be going without an extra adult (to get the fastpasses), just me and two kids. But the more I look at DDs behaviours lately, I think if I sat her down and explained how fastpass works, she will be able to manage FP. If I give her the power to get the FPs and manage them, I think she will do fine. You know, the more I read about DIsney, its not just rides/attractions. As many of you probably agree, there are a lot of lessons that can be taught there also.

I work with autistic children (and i have my own mental health issues) so I know what it is like. Can she tell time or could you get a watch with an easy alarm on it? You can set the alarm to go off when its time for the fast pass return. If you start the trip off doing that, by the 3rd or 4th time she might have caught on that if you pick up the fast passes you cant ride the ride until the alarm goes off.

I almost had my own "fast pass meltdown issue" :rolleyes: I became soo fixated on riding RNR that I couldnt do anything until it was the time stamped on my fastpass :blush: I was alone at the time and got through it ok (I went shopping for the "perfect suvenier" which I never found). I had to work through it, I was in Disney :earboy2: :rotfl:

SueM in MN said:
I would like to ask people NOT to post exact language of what the GACs say ans exactly what they allow. That is information that people have told me has been misused in the past.
Thanks.
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!

JenJen said:
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!
You are welcome.

Now, I would like it if people would remove some of that language in their posts.. That would be very nice.
I respect that people feel a need to know and control the situation before they get to WDW, but if you can explain your needs, you should be able to get what you need. On the other hand, if you've read some of the posts about how to get fastpasses, you know that some people will resort to all sorts of things just to get extra fastpasses. In fact (distasteful as this is) I am even aware of people using fake Make A Wish buttons! (There was actually someplace selling them).

MY DD 3 has autism with sensory issues. Too many lights,sounds and being wall to wall with people all at once over stimulates her and at times causes her to have a meltdown. She also does not understand why she needs to wait and take turns..among other everyday things. We are going in 2.5 weeks and I am hoping we can sit off to the side where it is a little more quiet regardless of wait time. By the way is it really crowded at this time of year??

mrstbalt said:
By the way is it really crowded at this time of year??
We have been to WDW in Sept and found it to be very quiet (like there were places you could walk and hardly see a soul). I'm not guaranteeing that, but it's not likely to be very busy.

I am new to this site and i am glad i found it. We (my wife and son) are going in December and have no idea about GAC or fast pass or anything. if Anyone has advice please write it on this thread. I just want Raymond to have the best time possible

Hi Rays Daddy :wave:
Glad you found us.
If you haven't been to the disABILITIES FAQs thread (stuck near the top of this board), it has information about GACs (Guest Assistance Cards). After you read that, if you still have questions, ask as many as you want.

Here's a link to an explanation of Fastpass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter