Our magical moment ruined...

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMHO, but I don't see what the fuss is about. If it had been someone's shirt damaged by something at Disney they would give you a coupon that enabled you to have something to wear and go about your day. It doesn't need to be the same kind of shirt or even fashionable, but just do the job and let you move on. Same with shoes, they were only meant to allow you and your family go about your day with as little interruption as possible. It would not kill anyone to walk around (or as your daughter would probably ride around in the stroller) in flip-flops for a little bit, just so she wouldn't step on anything sharp. A regular mall this would probably not happen. I doubt someone from Footlocker would rush out and offer to give you shoes in order for you to enjoy the mall going experience. This is something rather unique to Disney and a nice gesture. I think that the issue of compensation is a totally different matter. If you want the Nike's paid for then fine, fill out a form later.

I am glad your daughter was not injured, I myself have a fear of escalators.

She lost a shoe, not her foot. compensation was offered, just not the compensation that was wanted. if a plush was sucked into an escalator than you should be offered a replacement plush. but since a shoe was sucked into the escalator, ergo the certificate for the shoes... be thankful that there was someone there to give you the certificate in the first place. your magical moment wasn't ruined, just a shoe. say thank you and move on...

Exactly!!

She lost a shoe, not her foot.

completely OT from the original post... but, speaking of this... the accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom? The girl that was injured? She did lose one of her feet... and I can't even begin to imagine what the compensation for that injury will be. That poor family :(

Not being mean or rude or anything to the OP and I know this is a bit different but say you had a voucher for $25 off at walmart, would you then expect to be able to use it at target?

Well, after reading all the way through, it sure looks like the great majority of you have been snookered.

The OP had to have been a joke.

Disney took care of my shoe trauma several years back, although it did not involve an escalator. I had purple Lands End flip-flops that I loved and adored; I left them on a ledge at the wave pool in Typhoon Lagoon while I was swimming. I wasn't gone for long, when when I returned they were gone. I hunted around and found one in the pool; the other had disappeared. I asked a lifeguard and he said, "I saw a man with a little kid pick up the shoes. He looked at them, handed one to the kid and let the other one drop in the water, so I figured they were his."

Since it was near Christmastime, I figured the guy was Cousin Eddie (Randy Quaid in "Christmas Vacation) with little Ruby Sue: "Here ya go, Darlin', it's your Christmas present" Why they just took one, I'll never know...maybe she hadn't been a good enough girl to earn both.

I was so addled to have lost my favorite shoes...er, shoe...that I was babbling like an idiot. They actually have me a free pair of water shoes; it wasn't Disney's fault in any way, shape, or form, but they went out of their way to take care of it anyway.

... snip ...

Of course, society was exponentially less litigious back then…

You've hit the nail right on the head! With the sense of entitlement and lack of personal responsibility we have in this day and age, it's a wonder every moment of every day isn't "ruined" for some people! Well, heck! I guess I know some people for whom it is.... and I venture to guess, the children of these adults aren't being taught to make things much better in the future.....

Just my 2 cents.

People keep asking why I didn't just get her crocs...The reason I didn't is because I didn't want to spend $10 of my own $ to get her shoes she would never wear again. (Crocs are more than $25). While some people love crocs, her and I don't. Fortunately, we had the stroller and she didn't literally walk barefoot, she rode in that without shoes for the rest of the night. That being said I was ok with eating the shoe $, buying some when we got home and letting her get a Minnie. My point is that it seems poor form to me to offer $ to replace something and it's not even enough to replace it. As far as flip flops go DD is 4 and finds them uncomfortable I saw no reason to get shoes she didn't want. Also, as far as I am concerned crocs and flip-flops are no replacement for Nike sneakers...:confused3

In some cases crocs are more money than Nike. I feel what disney did was very generous. Everyone knows the hazards of escalators. I personally would feel like it was my fault for not watching close enough and be happy with what they offered. It really was not Disney's responsibility to compensate you with anything. If this accident had happened at a shopping mall would you expect them to replace the shoe or give you a stuffed toy? In my opinion Disney over compensated for an incident that was not there fault to begin with. You should be greatful and move on. I am glad your daughter was not hurt.

You cant be serious! Its is 100% Disney's fault. Its Disney's escalator in Disney's building on Disney's property.

Sure its great that her daughter wasn't hurt, but that's not the point. She should have been compensated at least for a pair of shoes and also for the time she wastes going to buy another pair.

The OP and her DD don't like Crocs, why should she have to buy a pair? They should have given her enough money to replace the Nike shoes that were damaged due to the "shoe-eating escalator."

100% NOT Disney's fault!!! Look at the sky rocketing prices for services in this country due to people thinking it is ALWAYS someone elses fault. I do not know where this sense of entitlement comes from, but is is pathetic. Everyone knows the hazards of escalators. We need to take responsibility for our own choices and actions.

I agree! So many people these days feels like something is owed to them. Then when something happens no matter how minor, their hand is out looking for some type of compensation. Look at how many frivolous law suits are out there. People suing Mcdonalds for becoming obsese. People suing cigarette companies for developing lung cancer. These people knew these things could happen by eating to much, and smoking. Another example of trying to get something for nothing. It personally makes me sick!

chicubsfan1978 said:
The OP and her DD don't like Crocs, why should she have to buy a pair? They should have given her enough money to replace the Nike shoes that were damaged due to the "shoe-eating escalator."
The OP did not 'have' to buy a pair of Crocs (for a net outlay of $10, apparently). However, since Disney does not sell Nikes, there is no way they could provide her with a certificate of ANY value to replace the Nikes. She could have asked if she could use the certificate for other footwear, i.e. replace, to a degree, what was lost. We're all aware the OP could have gone to Guest Services and, apparently, filed a claim. Possibly, if she'd done that, Disney would have reimbursed her for the eaten shoe, as well as the good one. However, it is the OP's choice not to do this since she has already (or already chosen to) file an actual claim for other property lost due to her own negligence.

I cannot believe how nasty everyone has come!!!!

Having worked in claims for many years I would like to say something, if a company is responsible for the destruction of an item they are responsible to replace it. If the company cannot replace the original item adequately-which they could not-they are required to monetarily compensate you for the damages of the loss. I in no way should be grateful they offered an amount that doesn't even cover the cost of the sneakers, it is THEIR responsibility. I was also not looking for a damn free trip to Orlando! Whether I was in Disney or my local mall I would expect the same thing. I think it's horrific that many of you have assumed I'm seeking pain and suffering etc...To respond to some of your other comments...

1. The dream team (or squad) member did not save DD's foot-I DID!!
2. Crocs in no way replace Nike sneakers
3. As far as choosing to get DD a doll as opposed to a pair of shoes she HATES-that is my choice-THE POINT IS WHAT THEY OFFERED DIDN'T EVEN COVER SHOES!!!

As far as my phone goes I would love to see if you would just "let it go" that you left something in your room and within the hour it disappeared.

I wonder if this happened at your local mall, would you react the same way, or are the majority believe that Disney is infallible?!

I guess the question here is whether Disney is responsible for the destruction of the shoe? I do not believe they are!!! Obviously many others agree. They tried to help you with a certificate to buy a new pair of shoes. That was not good enough. IMO you are not ENTITLED to ANYTHING.

As far as the cell phone our last trip to disney our friends did just that. We looked for the phone and checked lost and found. The phone was no where to be found. My friend of course was disappointed. However, they did not EXPECT anything from Disney. It was not Disney's fault the phone was lost. It was his fault and he took the responsibility. Imagine that!!

Ruined your dream???

The $25 was so that your child would have footwear for the rest of the day. I suppose that they should have sent someone out to buy a new pair of Nikes and hand deliver them to you in the park?
If you had gone to guest services and filed an incident report/claim you would have been given a credit on your bill or a check later for the cost of the sneakers.

before Disney reads and and decides to do away with all escalators due to liability issues!

Gasp! We'll all be forced to use the (insert dramatic music) THE STAIRS!:scared1:

My son uses a wheelchair.... so we can't use escalators. I really don't know what I would do in the OP's situation. I doubt I would have wasted precious Disney time filling out forms.

I do think the OP was a tad bit dramatic in saying her dream was ruined! Really bad things happen to really good people everyday..... even at Disney!

Consider yourself blessed you were quick enough to rescue your daughters precious little piggies before they got eaten along with the Nikes she would have outgrown in a couple of months anyway!

before Disney reads and and decides to do away with all escalators due to liability issues!

:rotfl:

I do think the thread needs to be closed, since it has nothing to do with the YOAMD promotion, and I haven't seen the OP back here in a day or two.

Vemnox- That is not correct. My daughter was given a cerificate for $50, it specified shirt and short. I honestly thought it was nice of them to offer the certificate to us. I actually refused at first because it was already 9:00 pm. She said to take it and go buy her another outfit for another day then! She was very nice. But, even if the certificate had only been enough to buy her a shirt only, I wouldn't have complained. ;)

Haven't read all the post yet, so I'm not sure if this was mentioned or not. Possibly it was $25 for the shirt and $25 for the shorts. :confused3

About thirty five years ago, I was at Walt Disney World with my family and got a terrible sunburn. Even though I am a redhead with about a million freckles, my olive skinned (and beatifully tanned) mom was sure if someday I just got a "base tan" I would tan. Therefore, I was not slathered with sunscreen. Just FYI, I'm now forty seven and have never had a tan. This sounds a lot worse of my mom than it was, I mean back then we didn't know anything about skin cancer and of course now she is horrified and wouldn't let my red headed daughter out of the house in the summer if it were up to her. Anyway, terrible sunburn, blisters, the whole business. I was, of course, in a tank top (working on that base tan) when one of the shopkeepers walked out and handed me a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt. He told me to put it on immediately. I said thank you and did so. (It hurt, but less than the sun.) I did not say, "Well, I am not crazy about this style...what else have you got?" It was not Disney's fault that I was sunburned. They still did that kind thing. It seems to me that this cast member was also being kind. A lot of really good things happen at WDW. Many of them are actually "magical." I agree and am also thankful that the OP's daughter was not injured. I also agree with a further up than me poster who said it seems dangerous to have a child shoeless at WDW. That's all just my opinion. And, of course, it's not even my business. But these are discussion boards, and this is discussion.

TiggrFan said:
It was not Disney's fault that I was sunburned. They still did that kind thing. It seems to me that this cast member was also being kind. A lot of really good things happen at WDW. Many of them are actually "magical."
I agree! One night last year I was dining at a Disney restaurant in the same relatively-grungy clothes I'd worn in the park all day (the hotel misplaced my luggage :rolleyes: ) and, naturally, spilled something on the only shirt I had available. I asked my server if the gift shop sold the Tide To Go pens (I'm resourceful, but I always forget to pack something, not that it would have mattered at this point - and yes, my luggage eventually showed up in my room). She came back about ten minutes later with the restaurant manager, and a small box of Tide, and a replacement t-shirt! I started crying, I was so impressed and grateful!
Was it the restaurant's fault I dropped food on me? Hardly. Did I expect anything? Absolutely NOT - well, except to go to the gift shop myself after dinner and buy something to clean my shirt, in case that ended up being the only outfit I had all week, NOT that I'm a pessimist or anything ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter