Our magical moment ruined...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I am sorry.......theme park....amusement park...............grown ups here.......... or not??
You tell me!

I don't think this is a "simple matter" of wanting a new pair of tennis shoes for her daughter. If she was that determined to get a new pair of shoes, she wouldn't have attempted to buy a toy instead. The complaints seems to be more about the monetary value of the gift certificate. And yes, when you start complaining about the monetary value of something that was given for free and you attempt to get something other than what is actually needed...that sounds rather greedy. That's great for you if you choose not to let your child go without crocs or flipflops, but that's not really the point. The point it that it would be a very temporary fix until they could get back to their room or whatever to put another pair of shoes on. Perhaps I am reading too much into it as well...but when you're given something for free for something obviously needed and then you start to complain and try to use it for something completely different, that goes beyond "vent" to me.

And by the way, Disney is a theme park, not an amusement park. There's a difference. :)

You should be ashamed of yourself for ever thinking this mother would have wanted her daughter to get hurt instead of just losing her shoe! I am sure it was scary enough with her getting the shoe caught.
It is pretty sad that we don't have anything better in life to do, so we keep bashing this mother!
Think if it were your child!

So what if she had a claim for her cell phone.....I am sure all of you would put a claim in if your cell phones came up missing.

To the family that this happened to...I am glad your daughter is okay and if you have dissapeared, I don't blame you for not wanting to read all of these childish posts people have made.
I came onto this sight because I thought that it was something fun and something I could get a few tips off of, however, it seems a lot of the people on here are very CHILDISH!!!
GROW UP and get on with your lives!

Why SHOULDN'T she be able to purchase a plush Minnie with the certificate? Whether she uses the $25 for a Minnie or for shoes- what's the difference? She'll STILL need to buy shoes.

I look at my son- he's only 2 (almost). His Crocs fall off of his feet more times then not and flipflops? BWAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, we haven't even TRIED those yet.

Now, say for some odd reason, his shoe gets destroyed by an escalator (I've always been afraid of them- and now I know why! I didn't know sneakers weren't allowed on escalators- if not sneakers, what type of shoes ARE allowed? High heels?). I get offered a $25 gift certificate towards Crocs or Flipflops, but they won't work with him.

Why SHOULDN'T I expect to be able to use the monetary value of the gift certificate for a plushie to put a 'good end' to his upsetting day and then when I get back to the hotel, I can either get out another pair of shoes OR purchase a new pair in DTD? In my eyes, the gift certificate is for the value of the destroyed merchandise- not for an exchange of items (shoe for shoe).

IF the child's foot was mangled- btw- whose responsibility would it have been to cover the medical bills?

Oh, I am sorry.......theme park....amusement park...............grown ups here.......... or not??
You tell me!
Well I'm not the one throwing a fit and yelling at people.... :confused3 I've stated my opinions very calmly and politely.

It is pretty sad that we don't have anything better in life to do, so we keep bashing this mother!
Or to keep bashing the people who might think differently than you....

So what if she had a claim for her cell phone.....I am sure all of you would put a claim in if your cell phones came up missing.
Actually, no I wouldn't. I would simply go to check if anyone turned it in, and if no one had, I'd realize it was my own fault for not keeping a better eye on my belongings. I wouldn't blame Disney for me losing an item. Now I realizing losing a cell phone is different than something being destroyed by an escalator, but I'm just using the example you provided.

I came onto this sight because I thought that it was something fun and something I could get a few tips off of, however, it seems a lot of the people on here are very CHILDISH!!!
GROW UP and get on with your lives!
You seem to be taking this very personally. Differences of opinion are bound to happen on a board this large.

DisneyAprilFool said:
In my eyes, the gift certificate is for the value of the destroyed merchandise- not for an exchange of items (shoe for shoe).
In your eyes, that may be so. However, that is not the case in Disney's eyes. They apparently feel it is for the exchange of items, hence their gift certificates are specific to that.

You're right- in Disney's eyes, they were exchanging property for property- but what does it really matter to Disney? $25 for shoes or $25 for a plushie- it's going back into their coffers (except it IS a loss since they are paying it out versus a customer actually purchasing with their own money).

I'm just, as always, surprised at how the OP gets labelled as a 'greedy' mother because she wanted to use the $25 for a plush toy.

You're right- in Disney's eyes, they were exchanging property for property- but what does it really matter to Disney? $25 for shoes or $25 for a plushie- it's going back into their coffers (except it IS a loss since they are paying it out versus a customer actually purchasing with their own money).
Oh I totally understand what you're saying. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that part of the reason would be to prevent people from "messing something up" and then trying to get a blanket gift certificate to simply use on the souvie or whatever they wanted. Now I'm not at all implying that is what the OP did, I seriously doubt that...but unfortunately there are people in this world who do that. In fact, there's a couple of customers at the mall I work at who do just that. When stores see them, they tend to notify other stores that they're around.

I'm just, as always, surprised at how the OP gets labelled as a 'greedy' mother because she wanted to use the $25 for a plush toy.
Well here's my own reasoning on it....
-Nike shoe gets destroyed, obviously the child needs shoes now
-gift certificate is given for $25 towards a pair of new shoes (though they are specific to which type)
-OP is unhappy with specific type of shoe given, and attempts to buy a toy instead (makes no indication they even attempted to get a different type of shoe, it seems as though they just went for toys rather than what the GC specified and what was actually needed)
-When toy is denied, then the OP starts complaining that Disney isn't replacing what was now gone...even though the OP wasn't exactly doing that either by trying to get a toy instead of seeing if a different style shoe could be purchased
-Then she complains to her resort, and then gets her free plush anyway...but then says her DD was still out of sneakers. Why still push after toys and then be upset about the lack of shoes? Why not say "thanks resort people for the offer of the toy, but can we get a pair of shoes, not Crocs/flip flops, instead since that's what we really need?" Problem solved, guest issue over with if that was attempted.

So to me, personally, when I see more than one occasion where shoes cuold have been gotten but the OP continues to go after a toy but then complains about the lack of shoes....it just seems greedy to me....as though both were expected.

Of course, this is JMO. I do thank you for sharing your opinion in a polite way...and thanks for hearing me out. :)

Ah, gotcha. I must have missed the part where she still wanted the shoes reimbursed. I can definitely see your POV now.

IF you were given a free plushie after losing a shoe AFTER being given a gift certificate for the shoes in the first place- you should feel pretty well taken care of. At least, I know I would!

Why SHOULDN'T she be able to purchase a plush Minnie with the certificate? Whether she uses the $25 for a Minnie or for shoes- what's the difference? She'll STILL need to buy shoes.
If I understand correctly, the certificate was to replace the shoes, to give the OP's child something to put on her feet in the parks. It wasn't a $25 to get whatever the OP wanted for her child.

I look at my son- he's only 2 (almost). His Crocs fall off of his feet more times then not and flipflops? BWAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, we haven't even TRIED those yet.

Now, say for some odd reason, his shoe gets destroyed by an escalator (I've always been afraid of them- and now I know why! I didn't know sneakers weren't allowed on escalators- if not sneakers, what type of shoes ARE allowed? High heels?). I get offered a $25 gift certificate towards Crocs or Flipflops, but they won't work with him.
In your case, I'd explain to the CM that crocs won't stay on your son's feet and ask for an exception to buy a different style shoe.

Why SHOULDN'T I expect to be able to use the monetary value of the gift certificate for a plushie to put a 'good end' to his upsetting day and then when I get back to the hotel, I can either get out another pair of shoes OR purchase a new pair in DTD? In my eyes, the gift certificate is for the value of the destroyed merchandise- not for an exchange of items (shoe for shoe)

But, the intent of the certificate (again, as I understand it) is to replace the shoe.

IF the child's foot was mangled- btw- whose responsibility would it have been to cover the medical bills?

The elevator company.

Whew! Just got through reading the entire thread. It took quite a while.

First of all, I, like a lot of the previous posters, am, sincerely, glad that the daughter of the original poster came out of the incident with all her toes intact.

Second, I, like a lot of the previous posters, feel as if the mother was adequately compensated for her loss and worry. No one walks around with their receipt for the purchase of their vacation tennis shoes so there is no way she could have proven to Disney what she paid for the shoes. Disney did provide her with a $25.00 gift certificate towards another pair of shoes. I don't feel as if Disney was obligated to do so.

I would not let my child go around a theme park for an entire day without a pair of shoes. I would have stopped somewhere at Epcot and purchased another pair, whether I paid for them out-of-pocket or with the certificate.

If you'll notice, the original poster also said her DH was doing Dive Quest when this incident happened. Dive Quest is not cheap so one would think she had some extra money in her pocketbook to purchase new shoes.

If her daughter rode around in a stroller for the most part, the shoes could have been any shoe whether they were pretty, ugly, comfortable or uncomfortable.

In all of our 12 trips to WDW, I have NEVER gone with just one pair of shoes. You never know what is going to happen so I always have an extra pair on hand. It would have been an inconvenience but I would have left the park and gone back to the resort for the extra pair. That is, if I hadn't already bought another pair.

I don't 100% believe that the original poster was being greedy. I do, however, feel as if she was pretty upset at what had happened and maybe over-reacted to the situation.

I am not taking this personally, however, the person who was offended by my calling Disney an amusement park instead of a theme park, was obviously taking it personally.

I am just defending this poor woman everyone is bashing, and you're right, everyone is entitled to their opinion!

The thing with her losing her cell phone was a matter of theft, not just her dropping it. She left it in her room and it was stolen. In that case, yes, I do think we would all file a claim as it would appear mousekeeping had taken it.

I think that when we pay the kind of money we do, to take our families to Disney...........WE EXPECT THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think that is all this mother was trying to get across.
I myself had a bad experience the 1st time I was in Disney when we were given the wrong room # at 3am, walked a far distance to find out it was someone elses room, walked back to get our real room #, then when we got into our room, there was a cigarette floating in the toilet. An instance where we should have gotten more than just a "sorry" from Disney. That does not make ME greedy, it just means that when you pay thousands of dollars to go to a place like Disney....as I stated above.....you expect the BEST! and if that means that this woman got a new pair of shoes for her daughter (the kind that she was wearing originally) then that is what Disney should have done....she paid enough to get her daughter there!
I am not saying that Disney is a horrible place, I will be there again many times in my life and I am sure this mother will also, but when something like this happens, of course, you would want it taken care of to your satisfaction!

I'll have to remember that if I trip and drop my vid camera at WDW. I mean it's what I expect if I trip on WDW property and drop my camcorder!!! It's disney's fault I tripped!! I EXPECT THE BEST!! and want the kind of camera I had to start with. If I dont, my magical moment would be ruined!!

I am not taking this personally, however, the person who was offended by my calling Disney an amusement park instead of a theme park, was obviously taking it personally.
I was the one who mentioned it being a theme park, but no I did not take it personally. It was a simple statement that I was pleasantly making. It's actually not the first time I've made that statement, I made it in another thread recently too. It's just a comment not ill-willed. Obviously it offended you that I said that (otherwise it would not have received such a response), and I'm sorry.

I am just defending this poor woman everyone is bashing, and you're right, everyone is entitled to their opinion!
And defending I can accept. That's fine! But I personally feel that defending can go too far when it begins to yell and belittle those that disagree with the OP.

The thing with her losing her cell phone was a matter of theft, not just her dropping it. She left it in her room and it was stolen. In that case, yes, I do think we would all file a claim as it would appear mousekeeping had taken it.
In that case, yes I probably would bring it up to Disney. But I feel that theft of a cell phone by Disney employees is much different than a shoe mangled by an escalator not made by Disney...in which case any possible defects needs to be brought up to the makers of the escalator. They're the ones who need to answer to why their product is malfunctioning.

I think that when we pay the kind of money we do, to take our families to Disney...........WE EXPECT THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I myself had a bad experience the 1st time I was in Disney when we were given the wrong room # at 3am, walked a far distance to find out it was someone elses room, walked back to get our real room #, then when we got into our room, there was a cigarette floating in the toilet. An instance where we should have gotten more than just a "sorry" from Disney. That does not make ME greedy, it just means that when you pay thousands of dollars to go to a place like Disney....as I stated above.....you expect the BEST! and if that means that this woman got a new pair of shoes for her daughter (the kind that she was wearing originally) then that is what Disney should have done....she paid enough to get her daughter there!
I am not saying that Disney is a horrible place, I will be there again many times in my life and I am sure this mother will also, but when something like this happens, of course, you would want it taken care of to your satisfaction!
I totally get what you're saying...and I agree, we always want the best...and it's not just reserved for Disney vacations. It sucks when things go wrong, because we have expectations that things will be ok. I know, I'm there myself! :) But I think the point is about reasonable satisfaction. Disney offered her what they felt was reasonable. But the OP chose to want toys instead and when she finally got her way with getting a free toy, she still complained about the lack of shoes even though it doesn't appear she ever attempted to get shoes that were neither crocs nor flip flops. She immediately went for the toy, finally got her toy, and then was still upset she had no shoes. And that, I think, is what a lot of people are bothered by because it definitely appears as a "wants her cake..." situation. You may disagree, and that's fine, but that's definitely how it's coming across to several people.

The difference being that in your case, Disney did drop the ball. In the OP's case, it was an accident. Disney did nothing wrong, yet this woman went on a rampage demanding a toy for her child when her shoe was wrecked. It is not a case of the mom expecting the best from Disney, it is a case of the mom demanding something to which she had no right. She was trying to play a bad situation to her advantage, and when that didn't work she came here looking for sympathy. I, and many others, have none to give her.

That does not make ME greedy, it just means that when you pay thousands of dollars to go to a place like Disney....as I stated above.....you expect the BEST! and if that means that this woman got a new pair of shoes for her daughter (the kind that she was wearing originally) then that is what Disney should have done....she paid enough to get her daughter there!

You make it sound like Disney is one big machine incapable of error. :sad2: Disney is operated by people, much like you and me, who do give their best but sometimes we make mistakes. Unless you're not telling us something and you're perfect then please, tell me your secret. :rotfl:

I

I think that when we pay the kind of money we do, to take our families to Disney...........WE EXPECT THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know a favourite topic around here is Disney's 'insane' prices, but I find it laughable that someone would expect to get 'THE BEST!!' for Disney prices. My weeklong vacation at POR for 2 adults with hoppers and DDP is about $2200 (if I was actually paying for the dining). That's not an expensive vacation. You want the best? Go to Turtle Island, it's $2000 a night. For that, you can expect more. Disney is a Theme Park. As much as you want to tart it up, it's still a theme park and to expect 'THE BEST!!' is just silly.

I really don't want to slag the OP at all, but I find one thing a little questionable. I'm thrilled beyond belief that she was about to yank her DD's foot out of the shoe, but if a sneaker was tied up properly, I don't think the foot would have just slipped out. My inclination would be that the shoe was untied, or was too big. I don't think it's Disney's fault at all, escalators don't just eat feet. They snag loose laces or melt shoe sides when you're too close to the edge, etc. There was absolutely no negligence on the part of the park.

People amaze (and amuse) me. You should have bought your child ANY pair of shoes since shoes are a requirement of remaining in the park. Most escalators have very clear instructions. Most riders do not follow them and contribute to their own "accidents" while on one.

I know a favourite topic around here is Disney's 'insane' prices, but I find it laughable that someone would expect to get 'THE BEST!!' for Disney prices. My weeklong vacation at POR for 2 adults with hoppers and DDP is about $2200 (if I was actually paying for the dining). That's not an expensive vacation. You want the best? Go to Turtle Island, it's $2000 a night. For that, you can expect more. Disney is a Theme Park. As much as you want to tart it up, it's still a theme park and to expect 'THE BEST!!' is just silly.

I really don't want to slag the OP at all, but I find one thing a little questionable. I'm thrilled beyond belief that she was about to yank her DD's foot out of the shoe, but if a sneaker was tied up properly, I don't think the foot would have just slipped out. My inclination would be that the shoe was untied, or was too big. I don't think it's Disney's fault at all, escalators don't just eat feet. They snag loose laces or melt shoe sides when you're too close to the edge, etc. There was absolutely no negligence on the part of the park.

I think it's great that you got your weeklong vacation for 2200. Unfortunetly, some of us weren't lucky enough to get that price. I am paying 3600 for our weeklong vacation for two adults and two children and I am sorry, but that is a lot of money.....unless you're made of it! And yes, it may be a theme park, but whatever you want to call it, it's expensive and that is why half of America can not afford to go there.....so, yes, I do expect the "best" when going to Disney!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter