Our trip to DVB then on to VGF 2

Nickylv

DIS Veteran
Traveling and day 1

Up at 5:30 am to get ready for our flight into Orlando. Then drive to Disneys Vero Beach Resort. This trip is for 4 days in Vero Beach and 3 days at the new VGF2 on its grand opening day. We did have our full vacation booked at another Disney resort and then decided that its summer and hot why not start off at the beach first and then go to Orlando for the last few days since we would be close to the airport when it is time to leave. So we were happy with our switch. Uber driver showed up at our home early and we left to Harry Reid International airport in Las Vegas. Arrived to the airport in 10 minutes. Smooth sailing through security check and sitting at gate, waiting to board.
Boarding was late, as usual, said they were waiting for a staff member. We have one stop but we don’t change planes. Finally In the air…and now at the layover in Houston TX. Said they will try to make up some time by quickly boarding and make up some time in the air. Left Texas and arrived in Orlando Airport 10 minutes early, but wait…..there is another plane in our gate (go figure) so it’s sit on the tarmac for 30 minutes so we are late again. Years ago airlines would advertise “fly with us, we have the best “on time” record” now they cancel your flights whenever they want and move you to a flight that was not even close to when you were originally booked or just plain leave you stranded, while not caring that you have rented a car, hotel , had a major scheduled event and or someone that juggled their time around to be able to pick you up. You now fear booking a layover flight because their “on time” records are terrible and you may miss your connection. Its almost all the time. (Sorry for the rant but somebody got to say it)
We got in the rented car and off to Disneys Vero Beach. An hour and a half later we pulled up to the resort. What a beautiful place. We had online checkin and had our magic bands so we took our carry on luggage and our back packs ( second time we didn’t bring the house with us) and went straight to our room. We opened the door to what was supposed to be our ocean view INN room with 2 queen beds but to our amazement, surprise and enjoyment we walked into the most beautiful king bed spacious suite with a dining area and a sofa area with room in the middle to ballroom dance. (Too bad we don’t) the kitchenette was in the large foyer along with the double door closet. Turn the corner and before you even enter the living/sleeping area you hit the bathroom area to the right with the sink separate from the shower and toilet. Then you walk into a very spacious living area and King bed. What a very pleasant shock….and all this over looking the Atlantic Ocean too. Now this is Disney luxury. After the pleasant shock we ran down to our reservation at the Wind and Waves Restaurant since we arrived to the resort with minutes to spare and had a wonderful dinner with a really great server Muriel, she said there were two Muriel servers, she is the one that’s off Sunday and Monday since we wanted to ask for her again on our reservation on Sunday, but she did tell us to request the other Muriel since she said we would like her as well.
After dinner (which we were the last ones in the restaurant) we stopped at the front desk to be sure that where I parked my car was okay. Well they could not have been nicer. We made it back up to our room and decided to unpack and relax before going to sleep. Called down stairs to enquire about renting beach chairs and an umbrella which they do not supply free of charge. We were told that we had to call back at 8 am. My wife had tried to take care of this way before we left on vacation knowing it was a busy weekend and there were just a limited amount of chairs available but no one could take the reservation. Now we have to get up at 8am, west coast time 5am. Time for shut-eye which its after 1am. I will continue this report attached to this thread so I hope you keep reading. Thanks

Last edited:
DAY 2

The alarm went off at 8 am and my wife called again to reserve chairs and have been told so many different opinions on reserving the chairs throughout the planning of this vacation, It became a little frustrating. And at 8 am we were told they do not take reservations over the phone, we needed to be at the rental hut by the beach by 9 am when they open. We should have been told that from the beginning that they do not reserve chairs over the phone, you have to come down to the hut on the beach at 9am when it opens. I told my wife I would go since she was fit to be tied I figured I would let her rest. So when I got down there at 840am there was already a long line waiting for them to open. So….Yes you have to rent the chairs and umbrellas for the beach at DVB and its a first come first serve basis. When they run out your out of luck. This being a busy weekend, you need to get in line early to be sure you will get them. You do not have to go down there every day of your trip, you can, while you are down there the first day you rent the chairs and umbrellas and request them for all the days you want them. I would suggest depending on how busy it is get down there before it opens to secure a chance to rent them. I was down there at 840am and I was the 12th in line and people before me were ordering many sets at one time and there are only so many to go around, there were also people that came in days before and rented them already so many were already reserved.
The time on the beach was really relaxing, we walked up to the quick service next to the pool to get some lunch. We both had tuna salad on coussant and an order of fries, all was good. We sat outside the market and ate and it became so hot we decided to jump in the pool before going back on the beach. The pool water was pretty warm so we went back to the beach. After a few hours of beach fun we headed back to the room…but…not before an icecream, dole whip and vanilla swirl yummm. We sat on the front porch in rockers and finished the ice cream , then stopped into the gift shop. Toni the cast member who worked there was as nice as can be. We purchased a bathing suit and matching shirt for our great grandson which will be the one for his house, now we need to find a different one for our house and headed up to the room. Time to relax for a while before we have to get ready for our dinner reservation at the Fire and Wine restaurant inland about a half hour away. This restaurant has almost all 5 stars so this is where my wife was taking me for Fathers day. Off to the restaurant. GPS had us going all over the place even through parking lots… but finally I happened to spot it on the right when the GPS told me to make a left??? We were seated immediately. The waiter came over and I explained my eating restrictions and he seemed to take offence to it, he walked away and I told my wife I was afraid to order anything since I thought he would get mad but I think he thought better and came back over to the table and was very nice, he even went and spoke to the chef to be sure some items did meet my restrictions. Well I was pretty much down to the only thing on the menu I could eat which was cheese ravioli in a mushroom and asparagus sauce with quartered tomato. My wife had shrimp and grits over spinach. Well not to sure where the 5 stars came from. It was alright, nothing great.
Now back at the resort and up to the Green Cabin Bar on the second floor. Guess it was going through a face lift and it was the first night it was open in a while. We each had a dinner drink and then back to the room.

Traveling and day 1

Up at 5:30 am to get ready for our flight into Orlando. Then drive to Disneys Vero Beach Resort. This trip is for 4 days in Vero Beach and 3 days at the new VGF2 on its grand opening day. We did have our full vacation booked at another Disney resort and then decided that its summer and hot why not start off at the beach first and then go to Orlando for the last few days since we would be close to the airport when it is time to leave. So we were happy with our switch. Uber driver showed up at our home early and we left to Harry Reid International airport in Las Vegas. Arrived to the airport in 10 minutes. Smooth sailing through security check and sitting at gate, waiting to board.

Boarding was late, as usual, said they were waiting for a staff member. We have one stop but we don’t change planes. Finally In the air…and now at the layover in Houston TX. Said they will try to make up some time by quickly boarding and make up some time in the air. Left Texas and arrived in Orlando Airport 10 minutes early, but wait…..there is another plane in our gate (go figure) so it’s sit on the tarmac for 30 minutes so we are late again.

Years ago airlines would advertise “fly with us, we have the best “on time” record” now they cancel your flights whenever they want and move you to a flight that was not even close to when you were originally booked or just plain leave you stranded, while not caring that you have rented a car, hotel , had a major scheduled event and or someone that juggled their time around to be able to pick you up. You now fear booking a layover flight because their “on time” records are terrible and you may miss your connection. Its almost all the time. (Sorry for the rant but somebody got to say it)

We got in the rented car and off to Disneys Vero Beach. An hour and a half later we pulled up to the resort. What a beautiful place. We had online checkin and had our magic bands so we took our carry on luggage and our back packs ( second time we didn’t bring the house with us) and went straight to our room. We opened the door to what was supposed to be our ocean view INN room with 2 queen beds but to our amazement, surprise and enjoyment we walked into the most beautiful king bed spacious suite with a dining area and a sofa area with room in the middle to ballroom dance. (Too bad we don’t) the kitchenette was in the large foyer along with the double door closet. Turn the corner and before you even enter the living/sleeping area you hit the bathroom area to the left with the double sinks and shower and toilet. Then you walk into a very spacious living area and King bed. What a very pleasant shock….and all this over looking the Atlantic Ocean too. Now this is Disney luxury. After the pleasant shock we ran down to our reservation at the Wind and Waves Restaurant since we arrived to the resort with minutes to spare and had a wonderful dinner with a really great server Muriel, she said there were two Muriel servers, she is the one that’s off Sunday and Monday since we wanted to ask for her again on our reservation on Sunday, but she did tell us to request the other Muriel since she said we would like her as well.

After dinner (which we were the last ones in the restaurant) we stopped at the front desk to be sure that where I parked my car was okay. Well they could not have been nicer. We made it back up to our room and decided to unpack and relax before going to sleep. Called down stairs to enquire about renting beach chairs and an umbrella which they do not supply free of charge. We were told that we had to call back at 8 am. My wife had tried to take care of this way before we left on vacation knowing it was a busy weekend and there were just a limited amount of chairs available but no one could take the reservation. Now we have to get up at 8am, west coast time 5am. Time for shut-eye which its after 1am. I will continue this report attached to this thread so I hope you keep reading. Thanks

DAY3

Woke up early and went out to the beach for a few hours. Beautiful day, nice relaxing on the lounge chairs under the umbrella listening to the waves crash. Kept getting up and jumping in the ocean to cool off since it was very hot out. My wife wanted to go to the pool so we got up and went to the pool. Cooled off and back out to the beach and on the lounge chairs. Soon lunch time, we decided to get a shower, dressed and head out to A1A and see what restaurant we can find for lunch. Got down to Ocean Drive in the town of Vero Beach quite a few miles down, we came upon a restaurant called Polo Grill so we stopped for brunch on the porch. Great food and great atmosphere. Waiter was a little slow but it was nice sitting outside. After lunch we went back to the resort and laid down and both of us fell asleep for 45 minutes. Today is our last full day at Disneys Vero Beach Resort and I have to say this is a very nice place to relax and just enjoy the ocean breeze. As we were sitting out on the porch overlooking the ocean we noticed people walking on the sidewalk between the buildings and the ocean, they were stopping and taking pictures to the north. We could not see far north since there was a roof in our way but we noticed every time someone got to the same spot on the sidewalk they stopped, grabbed for their phones and took pictures. Curious, I ran downstairs with my phone to see what was going on and to my suprise there was a very rough bunch of clouds heading our way. At that point we knew a storm was on its way.
Guess its a good thing we are having dinner on property and not having to go out in a storm. So tonight we have a 730pm reservation at the Wind and Waves restaurant for the second time this trip on property. We checked into the restaurant and in a few minutes we were seated. Dinner was even better than the first day and after dinner we went up to the bar for an after dinner drink. Afterwards we went to our room and packed most of our stuff since tomorrow we head to be one of the first to stay at the grand opening of the VGF2.
the storm blew over and it wasn’t so bad, lots of wind, some rain but I think it blew itself inland. Still more to come…….

Last edited:
I am enjoying your report. Your room is amazing! We have stayed many times in a Ocean View studio and never gotten anything like that. We are staying at Vero this October. Would you mind telling me what your room number was?

Thanks,
Kelly

I am enjoying your report. Your room is amazing! We have stayed many times in a Ocean View studio and never gotten anything like that. We are staying at Vero this October. Would you mind telling me what your room number was?

Thanks,
Kelly
Thank you for taking the time to read my thread and I am happy you are enjoying it so far. More to come…4th floor 2415

Last edited:
Day 4

Woke up early and had a late check out time. We just hung out in the room, finished packing and loading the car. We were on the road by 12 noon for a 2 hour drive to the Grand Floridian. We were very excited to be the first to stay in our room, the newly refurbished DVC building and room. Even before we reached our destination we got a text telling us that our room was ready and our room number. When we arrived at the guard gate we told them we were checking in and that we aready had our room number, we were told that it has been requested that we stop in at the front desk in the main building before going to our room. We dropped off our luggage with valet and my wife proceded to the main lobby while I parked the car in self parking. When I got to the lobby my wife was no where to be found so I called her and she told me to just come to the room. When I opened the door to the room I was just amazed at how beautiful it was. We were on the 4th floor so our room had cathedral ceilings, the decor was outstanding and the view, well it was just beautiful. My wife informed me that she had already called the front desk and asked to be changed since we had a closed balcony. She said she stayed in the room in Vero Beach and it had a closed balcony but the room was so nice she did not ask to be changed. This time I would like a room I can sit on the balcony and look out at the water not a wall. We imediately received a text with our new room number which was now on the 3rd floor. Before we went to see our new room we stopped off in the lobby of our building where we met many cast members and suited executives checking to see if we were allright with the accodomations and beeming from ear to ear as one after another guest told them how beautiful everything was. The cast members and executives were very excited, proud and happy with their new project opened and it showed on their excited faces. We made it back up to see our 3rd floor room but before we left the lobby my wife enquired about adding another night stay. They said they will look into it. So we left to see our room. Well that room was equally as beautiful but with some very minor differences and flat ceilings. The view was equally as great. Soon a knock on our door and I answered the door and it was the hotel manager I invited her in and she wanted to know how everything was and she was so excited to hear how impressed we were in the new rooms and she let us know that the microwaves were on back order and showed me where they were going when they came in. We still had quite a few hours before our reservation for dinner at Narcoossee’s tonight so off to the quick service to grab something small to tide us over. We got a pizza and water. As we were eating we received a text that our second night request was approved and we could just stay in the same room.
We then hopped on the monorail and went over to Epcot and had to go on one ride that we do every trip and that is Space Ship Earth. We never get tired of it. Then back to the room unpacked and sat out on our porch looking out at the Lagoon and well, please see some of the pictures I took. Soon it was time to get ready for dinner.
At dinner we were seated by the window and while we were waiting for our appetizers the light parade started out on the lagoon. While our main course came out the fireworks started at MK and we had front row seats as we were dining. After dinner it was back to the room to relax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter