Over booking on an airplane - how often does this happen- just curious ?

MrsJobba1

Dvc owner at BWV & SSR
Hi I'm just curious,

On fri 26 th Aug dh and I went to DTD to checkin. We were in line early , and a virgin employee was going along asking for people who were on the gatwick flight to identify themselves. The family behind us was and I couldn't help over hearing-:rolleyes1 the virgin employee stated that the gatwick flight was over booked by 110 seats:scared1: and they were looking for volunteers to go on a non direct flight. They would be refunded and get an upgrade next flight they book.

It just got me thinking, how often does overbooking occur? Has it happened to anyone ? I felt to sorry for the family as they really didn't know what to do for the best,

They always over book if they can. They go on the basis that not everyone will turn up.

We went out a few years back and were asked to volunteer to go on an indirect flight. Was fab for us as we got money back and flew to Miami and got a flight up to orlando, all paid by Virgin. We were also offered return tickets, but we opted for cash, which they handed over there and then:thumbsup2

I would do it again if I got offered it.

Thanks
I guess i'm not surprised that they over book - but I would have guessed they would over book 10 or so seats. I was really shocked that they'd over booked 110 seats.

Glad it worked out well for you.

Virgin was heavily overbooked last October half term.

Sadly we weren't bumped but I know saturday flights were but they were given a free flght for next time.

Can't see why the family would hesitate :confused3 - they are getting free flights for their next trip.

We have volunteered to be bumped in the past with a US scheduled airline - got upgraded to business class the next day, put up overnight and vouchers for a free flight which we used for our next hols.

I have always struggled to understand the over booking policy on long haul destinations like Florida. I can see why they would do it on an internal flight, as if someone doesn't turn up all they are losing a a few pounds - probably paid for by their company - compared to a long haul flight to a holiday destination where the cost is in the hundreds, possibly over a thousand.
Do they seriously think that 110 people wouldn't show for a flight to Florida :confused3

I have always struggled to understand the over booking policy on long haul destinations like Florida. I can see why they would do it on an internal flight, as if someone doesn't turn up all they are losing a a few pounds - probably paid for by their company - compared to a long haul flight to a holiday destination where the cost is in the hundreds, possibly over a thousand.
Do they seriously think that 110 people wouldn't show for a flight to Florida :confused3

if they can use code shares ect they can fill other fights a well not just there's
Paul

its the same with the breakfast on the Virgin flights, they don't put enough on for everybody because they bank on the fact that a lot of people don't want it. Which if you have flown economy with Virgin is not a bad assumption! A sweet muffin at the crack of dawn is not the way forward!!!!! :)

DH works in travel (business travel) and generally all scheduled flights are overbooked, it's common practice for the airlines to sell more seats than there actually are.

I agree especially as it was a return flight back to the uk! I know we all don't want to go home at the end of a holiday but we have to.

My DD works in the airline business, she is a pricing analyst, the reason they overbook is because if a flexible ticket is purchased it can be used at anytime and therefore airlines could end up with loads of empty seats and run at a loss :confused3

It just got me thinking, how often does overbooking occur? Has it happened to anyone ? I felt to sorry for the family as they really didn't know what to do for the best,

This happened to us once. My family (4) and my best gf's family (4) were off on a MYTRLE BEACH vacation from Boston. We flew out and had a lay over in Charlotte, NC (USAIR). When we landed, the USAIR officials told us that they OVERBOOKED the flight onto MB and we would have to take a BUS………..are.you.kidding.US. :headache:

Yup, we all (about 40 people) piled in (i will say) a lovely coach bus. They gave us a $$$ for food along the way. The bus driver stopped everywhere and anywhere we wanted. The trip was almost all day. I mean we never got to our rented condo until evening. We should have been there at 1pm.

I called USAIR and told them that we all lost a FULL day. They agreed and gave us all USAIR vouchers for free travel. :thumbsup2

We used them for a trip to Washington DC a few months later. :goodvibes

For us, despite the inconvenience, it did work out well.

the gatwick flight was over booked by 110 seats:scared1: and they were looking for volunteers to go on a non direct flight. They would be refunded and get an upgrade next flight they book. ,

Wow, thats a lot of people to bump off a plane! Can't think they would do that many on purpose - maybe there was a change of aircraft:confused3
I have only been bumped off one time and that was on a domestic flight (nicely comped though) but have been bumped-up one time too:thumbsup2

We were queueing up to check in with Virgin at Gatwick once and they were offering people £200 each to fly via Toronto. Dad decided to go for it as we had nothing planned for our first day in Orlando. We got to fly business class to Toronto, stayed in a nice airport hotel and then took the first flight down to Orlando the next morning. It worked out well for us as we had £600 extra spending money :thumbsup2

At the departure gate coming back from NYC 3 years ago they were looking for volunteers to go on a later flight. Our flight was at 9pm and they put us on the 1130pm flight!

We volunteered and eventually got execpted - they were initially looking for people with no luggage.

We waited till they had checked the current flight in then gave us new boarding passes - business class - and $400 flight vouchers!

Business Class was just :goodvibes. We booked seats using our vouchers but didnt use them eventually as we put the money to a different holiday.

It is my understanding that they ALWAYS overbook flights, usually by around 10 pax or so - however I do think it that overbooking by 110 from a "holiday" destination is unusal....

Katie

Virgin offered it to my brother and sister-in-law this summer - move onto an indirect flight from Orlando to Heathrow (instead of Gatwick) the next day, free accommodation overnight and two free roundtrip tickets for use in the next year. However they'd parked their car at Gatwick, and my brother was ill so intent on getting fast. I definitely would've gone for that.

The day I checked in for my Delta flight, I saw a sign up asking people to move onto a flight the next day with a similar deal, however the offer to spend a free night in Heathrow instead of Florida and lose a day wasn't quite so appealing...

Im going oct half term so kinda hoping for this on way back! Our flights are full so you never know!

This happened to us in august we arrived at Miami to fly home and as we got to check the guy asked us if we would be intrested in staying an extra day in miami as they have over booked the flight , they said they would put us up for the night , give us $$$ and also we would all get free retun flights for any where virgin flew that would be valid for 18 mths . We did not have to get back to the UK for any reason so we happly offered up our seats , whilst waiting for the paper work for our free tickets and hotel the virgin rep then said we where still going to get our free flights but they where going to send us home on BA the same day and this flight even went earlier then our virgin flight :thumbsup2 really great result and it now means we can go back to FLORIDA :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Conversely, I've NEVER seen it happen, on any airline, in any continent...:confused3

I have been on half-empty planes though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter