• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

package vs booking on your own?

trekkie2

Mouseketeer
Making my first ever trip with my daughter this fall, I have flexable dates any time between Oct and Dec ( except holidays) I wondered which option would give me the best deal for my money? Anyone have any experience with this? :bounce:

You might have a travel agent hunt for deals for you. Then evaluate the package for yourself. If you're getting something you don't need, remember, you ARE paying for it. Decide what you need to do, what you'd like to do, and what you won't need. If you're a good detective, you may be able to get a cheaper price on your own! :)

Unlike WDW packages, I think that for the most part, DL packages are a pretty good deal. It seems like deep discounts at DL hotels are harder to come by than WDW, so the packages tend to break even.

The exception is if you can get a good rate on a hotel through Expedia or other online site -- you can't beat those. However, if you want a certain view, you probably won't be able to guarantee anything more than a standard room on Expedia.

I now use Dreams Unlimited Travel for all my Disney vacations, whether it's WDW or DL. They have been able to apply discounts to my rates, and I love that they make PS arrangements. So convenient! And they actually help you look for discounts.

You can get good deals on some packages at DL. But keep in mind, unlike WDW, it is not necessary to stay onsite. I know there are those that feel that they must stay onsite at DL. But if you are familiar with WDW, I want you to understand that everything is so compact in DL that many of the offsite hotels are actually closer to the gates than a few Disney hotels. Other than saying that you are staying at a Disney hotel, there are no perks, such as early entry, like there is a WDW.

If you are planning to stay at one of the DL resorts, definitely check into the AAA packages. You get the unlimited fast pass perk. We just returned from DL and found that this saved us a bunch of time, well worth the extra cost of booking with AAA (about $90 extra total, for 3 adults and 2 kids).

Just wanted to echo what got2travel said about staying onsite.

I wanted to add that there are also packages, whether through Walt Disney Travel or independently, that are pretty good for the offsite hotels. Disney partners with "Good Neighbor Hotels" to offer packages, and I've also booked packages independently through HoJo that included tickets. Both have proven to be good deals, at least in my experience.

Check DesertInn and Suites.com. My cousin stays there every year with her DH and three kids and really likes it for the money.

crazymomof 4 said:
Check DesertInn and Suites.com. My cousin stays there every year with her DH and three kids and really likes it for the money.

I wonder if the people who really like Desert Inn have stayed anywhere else on Harbor Blvd.
Desert Inn was my least favorite, of the places I have stayed on Harbor Blvd.

I like the Park Inn International best, of the places I have stayed, on Harbor Blvd. It had less of an enclosed feeling, with a pool in a more open area.

If you are a AAA member, definitely call an agent and get a quote on their packages. We were able to save several hundred dollars off the price I was quoted at disneyland.com for our trip this fall.

The discount for room-only reservations is 10-15%, I think.

We were clueless about our recent trip to DL, so I booked through AAA. It was a bit of a discount over the DL packages on the internet. We got some great perks and we were very pleased.

Liz said:
I have always had good luck booking through Getaway Today and getting excellent prices. We've used them twice. Their website is getawaytoday . com.

I second getawaytoday. Even if you can get discounted tickets another way or have an AP, the hotel deals are great. Some even have a free night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter