Packing a cooler

dtuleya

DIS Veteran
We never fly, so I hope someone can answer this for me.

If we decide not to rent a refrigerator for our room, could we pack a cooler and check it as luggage? I don't want to look like geeks doing it though! LOL! Thanks in advance!

Yes, a cooler can be sent as checked luggage. Some people have posted about filling it with non perishable snack and drinks for the trip down, then they pack their cooler with souvenirs on the trip home. You will want to use something to secure the lid shut. Some have posted about bringing gray tape along for that purpose. (Do a search for coolers and you should get several hits)

A tip for those of you that are traveling with 1 or two people and don't bring a cooler: We simply asked for an extra ice bucket and filled it w/ice. It held (barely) three small bottles of water. We'd fill it with fresh ice each night, and use the water to take with us to the park. Then in the mornings we'd do the same thing and have cold water for when we returned to the room. We would pull the plastic liner up and loosely tie it to help keep the ice cold longer.
Gerri

A suggestion...how about a collapsible cooler? We finally found a pretty large one that we keep in our car. I believe we found ours at Sam's Club. It really folds down flat enough to fit in a suitcase.

Sharon

I was just about to say that Sharon! We found one at K Mart, and went to Goodings and filled it when we got there. It required about 2 trips a day to the ice machine but kept everything really cold. We used it for milk, juice, and sodas. I think we saved a LOT of money on breakfast as we ate doughnuts or cereal in the room. We also kept things like cheese crackers and pretzels in the room for late night snacks. It was great.

We took an ice chest full of bottled water and pop with us when we flew to Disneyland last summer. The skycap put tape around it for us and we had no problems taking it. I would recommend an ice chest with wheels and handles though. It made it very easy to take because we could pull it behind us even though it was very heavy. As long as you tape it you should have no problem. We also took a little soft sided cooler that has a shoulder strap and packed it with our own water to take into the parks. We took ziplock bags and filled them with ice and put it in the cooler to keep it cold during the day. It saved us soooo much money.

Anytime we have ever flown w/ a cooler, the inside had to be inspected before it was accepted as checked baggage. They are looking for ice, dry ice, &/or perishables, and they are not supposed to take your word for it. The skycaps and ticket counters always
have tape available, so let them peek, and then tape it up. We got a cooler with a pull handle; much easier in airports.

Thanks so much for all your help. Now when I take my cooler, I'll look like a pro and not like Goofy! LOL!

I second the collapsible cooler. Use it during the week, then, on the last night, empty it out, dry it out and fill it with souvenirs, protect 'em with dirty laundry, towels, etc. and check it as luggage. We usually lock it with an electrical tie, then put a strap around it. (You can buy the strap at Wal-mart, near where they sell the luggage) Hope this helps!!!

Thanks for all the "expert advice". I'll start looking for a cooler in spring!

I was going to rent a fridge when we got to WL, but decided against it when I found out it is $10.50 a day!

I really like the collapsible cooler idea, but......

my backup plan was when we stop by the grocery store, pick up a styrofoam cooler and take it with us to the resort, then give it away on our last day to someone checking in.

Has anyone tried this? Do you think it would work? Any downsides I'm not thinking about?

I thought about filling the tub with ice to keep everything cool:D but figured my wife wouldn't like it!!!!!

thanks,

We've done this in the past and it's one of the reasons we now would use a collapsible cooler.:) When we used a styrofoam cooler purchased at Goodings, it leaked when the ice melted! If you line it with a plastic bag, or put ice in a plastic bag, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sharon

I've been doing some checking and Glacier Gear makes a 72 can collapsible cooler on wheels (sort of looks like a suitcase with the handle). Now the fun part will be finding one.

Forgot to ask....does anyone know what size refrigerator it is? I was thinking it's probably the size of one that you'd buy for a dorm room. So I guess the freezer part is tiny! Also, I assume they bring it after you check in, so it will take some time for it to cool down.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter