Packing List? What did you pack for a week stay?

We went for 10 days last summer and are returning for 12 this summer. I packed 10 outfits for everyone, extra clothes for dinners, 3-5 swimsuits each. This year I will bring maybe 5 or 6 outfits, no extra clothes for dinner and equal swimsuits. The only extra thing I will be bringing is extra cover ups.

Once we get to Aulani from our cruise, I know I am going to need to do some laundry. We're not DVC, so assuming we stay in a regular room (although we might rent points), how are the laundry facilities? Are there multiple locations per building? I HATE doing laundry on vacation....that's what I'm on vacation FROM!!

I have a non disney horror story on swimsuits. My wife is not a swimsuit model. We love all inclusive in the riviera maya area. Our second trip down there American lost her suitcase. She had everything for the first night in cary on but not a swimsuit (she had moved it to her luggage at the last second to make room for something. It took 3 days to get her bag. The airline refused to offer anything because they "located the bag and we would have it that night" It missed the next flight out and came the next day, was to late for delivery that day, the delivery guy disappeared with the van the next day so it came the day after that. Its next to impossible to just buy her a swimsuit it ruined the trip. We did excursions to make it not as bad. I will never travel without swimsuits, and jamie's in cary on, everything else can be easily replaced. Final stupid tip 100% Microfiber Undies for guys and girls wear on plane and have one pair in cary on. They can be washed in the sink and dried in minutes, you can literally go an entire trip on one or two pairs. So one pair underwear, jammies and swimsuit in cary on along with flip flops and all you need in a worse case scenerio is a T-shirt from the gift shop to continue on with your trip.

IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1196.JPG
The bag was covered in white dust from the floor of the SFO luggage handling area the bag never made the plane and was not lost during our transfer in Denver. It had a rough time before getting to us.

LOL Mike, this is exactly why I insist everyone in the family take a swimsuit in their carry on! Your poor wife, I would have been really angry, it gets hot down there in Mexico-I have been in August on a snorkeling tour and it was insane. That is another thing I take in carry on is snorkels and masks (we have specialty ones). I love the microfibre undie tip too, gonna do that for my two guys for sure-thanks! We are toying with trying to do just a backpack each for our summer Aulani trip but I am on the fence because I want to bring stuff back.

We go to Hawaii a lot. No long pants, not a lot of sox because I never wear shoes. Not to many T shirts because I always buy a couple, hotels always have towels, more than one swimsuit because they get wet, waterproof watch, vacation wallet that can get wet and does not have too many cards. Most important item that is pricey to replace if your forget it is the I Phone and laptop charger.

What to pack for two weeks (DVC one bedroom and up have in room washer/dryer, others can use laundry room down hall):
three t shirts
two polo shirts
two hawaiian shirts
two shorts for day
two dressier but casual shorts for night
three pair underwear (you're wearing one there so you have four)
flip flops
sneakers (especially for Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor)
possibly casual pair of shoes (nah, didn't need them last time)
two swim suits
Tide pods double zipped locked in suitcase
beach bag
sunglasses
hat
sunscreen
toiletries

Seriously, if you are staying DVC and have a kitchen you will probably hit Target and Costco. Target prices are just like at home. If you forget something, just pick it up there. You should definitely have room in your suitcase going home.

When we were there last, we took WAY TOO MUCH. Two adults and two kids and four suitcases (used United Visa so two bags were free). We renewed our vows so we brought outfits. I brought shoes (ghastly I know for Ama Ama and ceremony. Took them off when I hit the beach.
We have vowed to get one adult's and one child's clothing and stuff in one suitcase. We all travel with a carry on so we always take an extra outfit and bathing suit in that just in case our bags arrive late or not. We all literally came home with half the clothes not touched! My wife washed every day (ok, you throw it in, go to the pool, take a break and throw in dryer, not rocket science). We brought nicer casual clothes to go to dinner. My big thing was to get really nice sunset photos but it seemed that almost every night, we took photos of the sunset in our swim suits. We would grab dinner at Ulu or Snack Shack (right before closing) then kids headed back to beach to play in sand until 9pm!! Yes, 9pm. See photos of our laid back sunset photos. Some days it was eating fast breakfast in room and head to pool area. Stayed in swim suits all day until retiring after 9pm. We all showered, kids to bed, and wife and I on balcony with drinks listening to the beautiful music from below.

Attachments

• Photo 0296.jpg
    Photo 0296.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Photo 0139.jpg
    Photo 0139.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 29
Vacations that involve hanging around the pool/ocean all day are the perfect ones for doing laundry. We went to DW last year and I did laundry while staying at the Poly. Threw in the wash, went swimming, walked back to laundry (across beautiful grounds), moved to dryer, swam some more, then gathered it up and returned to room, and finally back to pool. Could not have been easier. Same plan for Aulani :)

@herc1997 are those Photopass photos? They are awesome!!! Any idea what time of day they are taken (relative to "official" sunset time)?? They are just gorgeous :)

I have 3 fashionistas (13, 11, almost 8) when we go... they are driving me crazy about shopping for Aulani and outfit planning I think keepignit simple is going to be hard.

Once we get to Aulani from our cruise, I know I am going to need to do some laundry. We're not DVC, so assuming we stay in a regular room (although we might rent points), how are the laundry facilities? Are there multiple locations per building? I HATE doing laundry on vacation....that's what I'm on vacation FROM!!

There is only one facility, and it's not very big. It's clean though and the machines are nice. The facility is actually conveniently located right next to the activity center on the lower level, so I just throw a load in, go do something fun, then come back to toss the load in the dryer.

The only long pants we take are what we wear on the plane. For some reason we are always cold on the plane. One zip front hoodie, also on the plane. Otherwise, a couple of shorts per person, a couple of t-shirts, 2 swimsuits each, 2 extra pair of sandals (one year my son broke his sandal strap and another year he left them at the pool in Mexico and somebody stole them), a couple of aloha shirts. For me mom it is a couple of sundresses, cover-ups, 2 or 3 swimsuits, 2 tank tops and 2 pair of shorts, extra sandals. Snorkel gear for everybody except for fins. Medication and lots of sunscreen. Yes, you can buy sunscreen in Hawaii, but we use the biodegradable stuff (non-chemical) and it is hard to find in Hawaii.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter