packing soda cans in suit case

KarenM

Earning My Ears
Has anyone ever packed cases of soda in a suitcase? We would like to bring our own and have no transpotation to a store. I just want to be sure they won't explode or anything. We could always pack them in our carry ons if we have to. Thanks.

We packed a 24 pack of Mt Dew for my hubby who needs a fix every morning/noon/night ( no pepsi products sold on the grounds.)
I wrapped them in our jeans and brought 2 or 3 big bath towels for the pool area and wrapped them up in that. It did take up some suitcase room but then you have some roome for souviners.... we also carried a few cans on for the flight but just so they were handy.

We had no trouble.. We flew from Omaha, Ne to Orlando with one connection flight in Chicago.

Good luck - It is sometimes just as cheap and no worry to buy the refillable mugs or if you have some from other resorts bring them along... I have had no trouble in the past 3/4 times in using the same ones from CB at different resorts.

Have a great Magical Time

I like bringing the 20 ounce bottles of pop with rather than cans. Less worry about them exploding.

We have carried 12 packs of soda in our suitcases and never had a problem. We bring MrPibb home from Florida as we can't buy in on Long Island and my husband loves it.

We traveled with friends who packed Mountain Dew for a Princess cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale two years ago. (They were afraid they couldn't get MD on the boat.) When their luggage was delivered to their cabin, they were missing a bag. Yep, it was the one with the MD - a couple of cans had exploded and the bag was dripping. It was a real mess, so if you pack the cans - make sure you put them in plastic or something so if there is an accident, your bag isn't leaking! :D

I just wouldn't take the risk with ruining my luggage or my clothes and the trouble (and cost) it would be to clean it all up - just in case! That said, I'd just include them in carry on luggage.

Cheryl :bounce:

Some inconsiderate boor packed soda into their checked luggage. It opened during the flight, and leaked not only all over their stuff, but down into DH's luggage below it.

It ruined a lot of clothes, caused us to miss an entire day of vacation to file claim forms (airline never did give us a cent--they went bankrupt in 1991ish) and replace clothes and luggage. What it didn't stain it covered in sticky soda goo.

If you really have to... at least wrap it in several layers of lawn bags and tape them tightly sealed shut with packing tape.

Karen--not sure how you are getting to WDW, but why not take one of the excellent car services that will make a free grocery stop for you, and buy your soda as well as other snacks there? I recommend Tiffany. They'll cost a few dollars more than Mears, but you'll be treated like royalty, and won't have to stop at 4 other hotels on the way to drop off other guests.

It would certainly be cheaper than cleaning or replacing clothes if the soda leaks.
With the cost of machines and soap powder, it's $5 per load at WDW resorts.

Anne

There is always the risk of staining someone else's luggage, if staining your own does not matter much just to save a few bucks. Another alternative is to carry your own soda in the plane with you. But then, are you really going to save that much? Do you really need it that bad to go through all the hassle?

I'd just buy resort refillable mugs.

Another thing I have done to save money on drinks is to buy a bottle of Powerade or water (when I did not have one available), make ice water before I leave to the parks and then refill there.

Wanda

Soda containers burst usually because they are crushed when baggage is handled roughly, as opposed to just being depressurized in the airplane.

Some folks wrap luggage in plastic sheeting that "sorta" sticks to itself, this reduces theft of luggage contents as well as offers more protection from soda leaking from someone else's luggage.

Other Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

We didn't want to chance it so we packed some 7Up into our carry-ons.

I just check with my luggage a medium size ice chest full of drinks. I have done this on numerous trips as I like diet dr. pepper and it is hard to find outside the south. Impossible to find on WDW property. When you arrive at your hotel room you can add ice. The ice chest keeps things nice and cold - much better than a styrofoam chest. Use it on the trip home to pack breakable souvenirs as the hard sided ice chest offers great protection. You are not allowed to have ice inside the ice chest for the plane flights. I tape the lid shut. I bring extra tape with me to tape the lid for the trip home.
In light of the increased security, you should be prepared to open the ice chest at the luggage counter. In the past the ticket agent had just had me verify that there was no ice inside the container. I have also done this on flights to Canada and the British Virgin Islands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter