Parents of teens...is vaping common in your community? (Inspired by pot thread)

Nice try. Why can't people admit that this is simply NOT a "problem" everywhere?

Again, I never said no teens vape here. I said it's not a PROBLEM. My kids go to a high school with 2600 students. One of 5 such sized high schools in our city. The bathrooms don't need to be locked. The campuses are outside. There is ample security and teacher presence. The student culture is good. Kids here generally are high achievers and follow rules. They aren't out smoking and vaping in public.

Maybe they are secretly doing it at home, but again, how does that make it a problem in the community?

The biggest scourge in our community regarding teens is e bike use without helmets.
I don't doubt what you are seeing in your community, but I would love to know where you live. Obviously for privacy reasons, I don't expect you to disclose that (I wouldn't).

I live in an area the seems similar to what you describe in some ways. Ample teacher and security presence in schools, similar size high schools (we have 3 in our district), high achieving students, etc. Yet these same kids where I live are vaping (tobacco and weed) in school, outside of school, in their homes, in friends' homes, etc. I've been shocked at some of the kids who are vaping; kids I wouldn't expect.

Where I live it's hard to be the kid who isn't vaping when everyone else is. Some kids are secure enough to do that. Others just want to fit in even though they know it's harmful.

I don't remember anything like this when I was a teen. Sure some kids smoked, but most didn't. Cigarettes were readily available in machines, so access was easy. I'm not sure why vaping is so much more prevalent than smoking cigarettes (or weed) was when I was that age. Is it because they are being told by social media that it's not harmful? Is it because it's "new" and cool? Is it because teens today have so much anxiety they are seeking relief? All I know is that it's a serious public health issue where I live, and we won't know how bad it will affect these kids until they are older.

I don't doubt what you are seeing in your community, but I would love to know where you live. Obviously for privacy reasons, I don't expect you to disclose that (I wouldn't).

I live in an area the seems similar to what you describe in some ways. Ample teacher and security presence in schools, similar size high schools (we have 3 in our district), high achieving students, etc. Yet these same kids where I live are vaping (tobacco and weed) in school, outside of school, in their homes, in friends' homes, etc. I've been shocked at some of the kids who are vaping; kids I wouldn't expect.

Where I live it's hard to be the kid who isn't vaping when everyone else is. Some kids are secure enough to do that. Others just want to fit in even though they know it's harmful.

I don't remember anything like this when I was a teen. Sure some kids smoked, but most didn't. Cigarettes were readily available in machines, so access was easy. I'm not sure why vaping is so much more prevalent than smoking cigarettes (or weed) was when I was that age. Is it because they are being told by social media that it's not harmful? Is it because it's "new" and cool? Is it because teens today have so much anxiety they are seeking relief? All I know is that it's a serious public health issue where I live, and we won't know how bad it will affect these kids until they are older.

I've stated on these boards a few times where I live and I have no issues disclosing it. Irvine, CA. Maybe the kids here aren't into it because their Tiger Moms are "always watching" and they are afraid of them. I DO see quite a significant number of old Chinese men smoking outside their houses when I'm out and about on my neighborhood excursions and bike rides. Its always the really old, frail men. And I see vape clouds occasionally coming out from the supercar windows while driving around (cant stink up a McLaren or Lamborghini with cigs), but it really isn't a TEEN problem here.

I'm lucky to have autistic kids who have no concept of peer pressure, I guess. They went through DARE and my 19 year old won't even take a sip of Champagne on New Years Eve ("I'm not 21 yet," he says to us).

I think it’s important to remember that much of the information we have on vaping in adolescents right now is from 2015-2019. At that time, vaping was newer, and on the rise. We know that, since the pandemic, those rates have risen even more across the US. Comprehensive data isn’t complete yet for later years 2020 to present, but we will be seeing that as we move forward.

@DLgal I was curious about what’s going on in your part of the world after your recent posts. It looks like CA, not surprisingly, has recognized vaping as a problem and already has a lot of useful resources. 👍 You also, it looks like, voted in banning flavored e-cigarettes. That was smart. It will be interesting to see going forward if prevalence decreases as a result of these efforts.

Here’s what I found in looking around:

https://www.ochealthinfo.com/servic.../tobacco-use-prevention/what-about-electronic

https://health.choc.org/teens-and-vaping-what-parents-should-know

https://express.adobe.com/page/T0x4oTYzJnD8Y/

This is from 2023
https://capitolweekly.net/we-must-do-more-to-help-california-kids-resist-allure-of-vaping/#:~:text=The Center for Disease Control,with 8.2% specifying vape use.

Statistics do show that there is vaping going on in Orange County, CA, though.

From 2017-2019
https://www.kidsdata.org/topic/2071...8,77,69,305,306,431,748,616,617,618,1004,1005

IMG_5205.jpeg

This caused me to look at what’s happening in my own state and county, so thanks for that. I’d encourage everyone to do the same. And remember, latest data is hard to come by.

Canada is dealing with a large vaping problem right now:
https://www.ochealthinfo.com/servic.../tobacco-use-prevention/what-about-electronic

Last edited:

Respectfully, I live here and you don't. And I have teen boys. I honestly don't care what other teens are doing. Mine are in no way involved in smoking, vaping, drug or alcohol use. Nor are their friends. And I am 100% certain about that.
First you say it's not a problem in your community, and you're sure of it. Then you say you don't care /know what other teens are doing. Which is true?

I absolutely accept that you can keep your own kids away from drugs (including vapes). From about the time they started school, I certainly made a concerted effort, and they tell me now (they're adults -- no reason to lie to me) they never touched anything illegal as teens. But your own kids aren't the measure of the community's problems.

Vaping is a problem across America. Denying it just adds fuel to the fire.

No point in discussing it further.

Just a note to please stop bickering on this thread. It detracts from the topic (just like this post).

The thread about smelling pot everywhere made me wonder about vaping among teens in your community.

Teens vaping is so common where I live (suburb of Philadelphia). It seems like they all do it. My teacher friends say it is a problem in schools. Kids in our community as young as fourth grade are making frequent trips to the bathroom to vape.

Is it like this everywhere?
Im in a suburb of Philadelphia too and my daughter is in 10th grade. It is EVERYWHERE! She said there is one bathroom that the kids will smoke in and it stinks. I asked her why they dont have a resource officer by those bathrooms to try and stop it and she said there is just too many kids. I also see them littered around the park we walk through where kids are usually hanging out.

Maybe if all the "smoke shops" werent around they wouldnt be as easy to get.

I found a vape in my daughters room once and had the talk AGAIN. I hope that was the end with her.

Tons of vaping no doubt.

There are still parts of the town where the kids are smoking as well TBH.

I'm not sure why vaping is so much more prevalent than smoking cigarettes
I think it was sold as the healthy alternative to smoking.

At my kids' small charter school, it isn't a problem but it is at a lot of other schools in the area. My kids find smoking & vaping to be "totally disgusting" (their words, not mine) and none of their friends do it.

Vaping seems to be everywhere these days. It's crucial to stay informed, right? From what I've read, it varies, but many vapes offer lower nicotine options, making it a good alternative for teens who might otherwise turn to traditional cigarettes.
If they have a legal vape pen and cartridge it may contain less nicotine. However, not all cartridges are legal and regulated so who knows what's in those.

It is still illegal for those under 18 to vape because of the chemicals.

As a mom of a 13 yo 8th grader & 17 yo junior, yes vaping is a problem. I brainwashed my kids after my mom died of COPD to abhor smoking and vaping, so hopefully it sticks but my son has said there are certain bathrooms at his school he won't use because of students vaping. My daughter is still at a small, private school so hasn't been exposed to as much but many of my friends who have middle school aged kids in public schools talk about how bad it is and that the administration in the schools either can't or won't enforce a no vaping policy.

The high school I work at has a serious vaping issue - so serious that we have propped the bathroom doors open permanently so that they are like mall/airport bathrooms, just enough privacy to go, but you can tell if there is a crowd in there. I get to yell into the boys' bathroom a few times a day to tell the kids to "go the bathroom or go to class" and that 8-10 kids do not need to be in the bathroom at the same time (2 urinals, 1 stall). They are vaping nicotine and pot, and who knows what else. I get to deal with them after lunch when they are high and hyperactive. Our admin is pretty ineffective right now, and I'm scared that one or more of these kids is going to OD.

This thread made me realize I see more smoking by teens vs vaping.. for many years 2000s/2010s smoking was not so common.. I see a surge by us... strange..

We recently had a family funeral and our nephew went and had a smoking break TOGETHER with his 16 or 17 year old son!! my husband almost lost it.

It requires the same amount of parental diligence as was applied for cigarette smoking. The difference is that they don't have to be using the nicotine chemical and even if they do it can be adjusted a long ways from what a cigarette would be giving them. In the world of teenagers the more you push them to not do something the more they will want to do it.

It is a problem but not as big a problem as hard drugs or alcohol. I would not tell them but I would be quite, nah, almost giddy if all my kids had been doing is vaping. The problems that they might encounter is far less than those other things and as soon as they figure out how much money they could save by not trying to look cool, the easier it will be to quit. Like I said before, the exposure to tar is none existent and Nicotine is adjustable and a major way to easily quit. Tar is what destroys your lungs and that is not there with Vaping and Nicotine can be progressively backed off. It's not the best thing in the world but there are far worse.

It requires the same amount of parental diligence as was applied for cigarette smoking. The difference is that they don't have to be using the nicotine chemical and even if they do it can be adjusted a long ways from what a cigarette would be giving them. In the world of teenagers the more you push them to not do something the more they will want to do it.

It is a problem but not as big a problem as hard drugs or alcohol. I would not tell them but I would be quite, nah, almost giddy if all my kids had been doing is vaping. The problems that they might encounter is far less than those other things and as soon as they figure out how much money they could save by not trying to look cool, the easier it will be to quit. Like I said before, the exposure to tar is none existent and Nicotine is adjustable and a major way to easily quit. Tar is what destroys your lungs and that is not there with Vaping and Nicotine can be progressively backed off. It's not the best thing in the world but there are far worse.
This is an interesting perspective.

I feel like the vaping is so pervasive where we live (Philadelphia suburbs). I see it everywhere. Not sure why it bothers me so much, but it does.

From the American Lung Association - what’s in an e cigarette?

https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/e-cigarettes-vaping/whats-in-an-e-cigarette

• Nicotine – a highly addictive substance that negatively affects adolescent brain development
  • Propylene glycol – a common additive in food; also used to make things like antifreeze, paint solvent, and artificial smoke in fog machines
  • Carcinogens- chemicals known to cause cancer, including acetaldehyde and formaldehyde
  • Acrolein – a herbicide primarily used to kill weeds, can cause irreversible lung damage
  • Diacetyl – a chemical linked to a lung disease called bronchiolitis obliterans aka "popcorn lung"
  • Diethylene glycol – a toxic chemical used in antifreeze that is linked to lung disease
  • Heavy metals such as nickel, tin, lead
  • Cadmium – a toxic metal found in traditional cigarettes that causes breathing problems and disease
  • Benzene – a volatile organic compound (VOC) found in car exhaust
  • Ultrafine particles that can be inhaled deep into the lungs
What parents should know
https://www.lung.org/getmedia/a6d09...c9ecf6e/e-cigarettes-parents.pdf.pdf?ext=.pdf

From the American Lung Association - what’s in an e cigarette?

https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/e-cigarettes-vaping/whats-in-an-e-cigarette

• Nicotine – a highly addictive substance that negatively affects adolescent brain development
  • Propylene glycol – a common additive in food; also used to make things like antifreeze, paint solvent, and artificial smoke in fog machines
  • Carcinogens- chemicals known to cause cancer, including acetaldehyde and formaldehyde
  • Acrolein – a herbicide primarily used to kill weeds, can cause irreversible lung damage
  • Diacetyl – a chemical linked to a lung disease called bronchiolitis obliterans aka "popcorn lung"
  • Diethylene glycol – a toxic chemical used in antifreeze that is linked to lung disease
  • Heavy metals such as nickel, tin, lead
  • Cadmium – a toxic metal found in traditional cigarettes that causes breathing problems and disease
  • Benzene – a volatile organic compound (VOC) found in car exhaust
  • Ultrafine particles that can be inhaled deep into the lungs
What parents should know
https://www.lung.org/getmedia/a6d09...c9ecf6e/e-cigarettes-parents.pdf.pdf?ext=.pdf
It blows my mind that people don't think vaping is harmful, addicting, and prevalent in schools.

There is a highly gifted magnet school in my area. Like some posters here, the parents of these children do not think vaping is an issue at the school. However, if you ask the teachers and the students, it's a huge issue. Students, regardless of academic level, know exactly what everyday items parents glance at and have no clue the item is a vape pen.

Vaping may not be as dangerous short term as heavy drugs, but long term the damage is done. Two articles on younger people and what vaping did to them:

Never start vaping, says 12-year-old girl with lung damage
21-Year-Old In Coma For Complications Related To Vaping

This is an interesting perspective.

I feel like the vaping is so pervasive where we live (Philadelphia suburbs). I see it everywhere. Not sure why it bothers me so much, but it does.
It's because we have been scared into being alarmed by something that is the lesser of the evils, because it cannot be a major problem unless we make it one. I was angry when Disney banned vaping, even in what were smoking areas. The vaper may hurt the user but it will not harm the passerby, but we were told it was even worse.

When I quit smoking I used vaping to get me through the hardest parts. I went to the Vape store and told them what degree of nicotine I wanted starting with the exact amount that was contained in a cigarette. Then over a number of weeks I lowered the percentage until I got to zero and then a couple weeks after just using flavored vaper, I just put it down and never picked it up again.

There are two kinds of addiction. There is physical addiction and there is emotional addiction. Vaping allowed me to break away from both at the same time and it's been at least 8 years since I last vaped. I will guarantee that the less that is made of it to the younger folks the quicker the desire will end. Has no one ever heard of rebellion?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter