parking at the contemporary for dinner and going to MK after that

Dingdingding

Mouseketeer
We will be having a three course dinner at The Wave in a few weeks, we plan to have a short time at Magic Kingdom after that (short because the park won't be open that long after dinner (max 2 hours), do we have to get our car and drive to the TTC? It is not my intention to cheat the system in any way but I find it a bit overdone to have to travel half an hour to somewhere that is so closeby at walking distance, and then traveling another twenty minutes after that, so almost an hour traveling time for an hour and a half (two hours minus half an hour) in the park. I wouldn't ask this If I planned a breakfast or lunch or something like that at The Wave but seeing the time is so short I'm wondering if it is allowed. Or would it be best to ask a castmember when we get there?

Last edited:

If you do park at the Contemporary and ask a cast member, it would be great if you would return and post what you are told. Every time I’ve emailed Disney and asked about a policy, the response is always something along the lines of Disney gives its cast members discretion to try to provide each guest a magical experience, but that discretion may be limited by “business needs.” You’re not going at a very busy time - I wonder if they would tell you to just go ahead.

Sounds like cheating I know but we have gone to dinner at CG and then gone to MK. It’s never been an issue. We are not trying to game the system but it’s silly to me to have to move the car after I’ve spebt 200 on a meal.

We’ve also been let in to park at bay lake just to watch the fireworks from the top of bay lake.

Sounds like cheating I know but we have gone to dinner at CG and then gone to MK. It’s never been an issue. We are not trying to game the system but it’s silly to me to have to move the car after I’ve spebt 200 on a meal.

We’ve also been let in to park at bay lake just to watch the fireworks from the top of bay lake.
It's also silly for people paying the high price to stay at CR (also paying a parking fee) to return at the end of the day and not be able to find a spot.

@marikujawa the problem is that what one cast members say today may not be the same as what another says later on.

Would be nice is they would eastblish a policy and follow it, give the parameters so guests know what to expect. If it's a 3 hour window great, state it. If it's only for the meal, fine, just tell us.
The problem that you're describing is inherent in a system where Disney intentionally gives cast members discretion to do things differently based on business needs. I asked whether my family (non pass holders) could enter the pass holder entrance with me. The answer was maybe - based on what the cast member decided was feasible that day. So do we all get in the pass holder line or not?

The exercise of discretion leads to inconsistency, and inconsistency creates uncertainty. Uncertainty is the enemy of folks like us who follow these boards trying to plan out all aspects of our vacations six months or more in advance.

People argue constantly on these boards as to what will happen at Disney based on their personal experiences, which can differ wildly from someone else's. Disney is fine with that - they even have a cute name for it. Whether a cast member is lax in enforcing a rule or is simply spreading "pixie dust" depends on your perspective. I wasn't trying to advise the OP one way or another - just interested in what happens.

As a DVC member you should be aware of the rules. DVC says you cannot park at BLT to go up to the TOTWL, but must take Disney transportation unless you are a guests of the CR/BLT.

Important Details

View details about parking, blockout dates, operating hours and more.
Parking
Parking is only available to those staying at Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort or Disney’s Contemporary Resort. Members traveling from other Resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation.

We've never been given a 3 hour limit - the only time I've heard that "rule" is on these boards. Even asked around to my semi-local friends who dine on property (thinking maybe we just got lucky each time!) and they've never heard it either.

Just ask at the gate when you pull up. Worst case is they offer you the option of valet or doubling back to the T&TC. We have yet to be asked to do that (though never park more than a few hours anyways).

I believe the policy states a max of 3 hours. I've never tried to push it at all. I'm sure during slow times, you might catch a break but I've parked at the Poly before for dinner and they were VERY clear with me that I had a time limit (it was a very busy time in the parks and resorts).
When you say “the policy states” what policy are you referring to - is there an actual policy stated somewhere? Or is that what you were told by the guard at the gate? I’ve looked around and can’t find anything in writing (not surprising) but maybe I missed it.

When you say “the policy states” what policy are you referring to - is there an actual policy stated somewhere? Or is that what you were told by the guard at the gate? I’ve looked around and can’t find anything in writing (not surprising) but maybe I missed it.

I've never seen the 3 hours officially written anywhere.

Here is Disney's official statement on their webpage.

Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/

Of course it also doesn't explicitly state you can or can't park at a Resort to go to the parks because Disney doesn't like to seem like an enforcer.

Last edited:
That’s all I could find too. If Disney bothers to adopt a policy, whether it be parking restrictions, dress code or whatever, I’ll follow it regardless of whether or not I personally agree with the policy. But if a gate guard told someone at a resort with limited parking during a busy season that they had only 3 hours, is that necessarily a rule for everyone at all times? Disney is maddeningly vague when it comes to stating policies.

That’s all I could find too. If Disney bothers to adopt a policy, whether it be parking restrictions, dress code or whatever, I’ll follow it regardless of whether or not I personally agree with the policy. But if a gate guard told someone at a resort with limited parking during a busy season that they had only 3 hours, is that necessarily a rule for everyone at all times? Disney is maddeningly vague when it comes to stating policies.
The resorts connected directly to the theme parks usually have signs posted at the entrance to the resort that they are sorry but they cannot provide parking for the theme park. I have pulled up in a line at the guard shack at the Contemporary and overheard a guard tell a guest that they could not valet park if they were not a guest of the resort. We had an ADR and were directed to self parking for the duration of our meal.

Aside from the parks, though, I could see someone parking at a monorail resort to dine at one of the restaurants there, then leaving their car parked and getting on the monorail to visit other resorts. If the gate guard doesn’t give them a time limit and there’s no published policy, how would they know whether or not that’s permissible?

I've never seen the 3 hours officially written anywhere.

Here is Disney's official statement on their webpage.

Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/

Of course it also doesn't explicitly state you can or can't park at a Resort to go to the parks because Disney doesn't like to seem like an enforcer.

So, I didn't dig into the WDW official policy but I did find this for someone just last week. Yeah, it's not "official" but I'm thinking they didn't make it up. Probably what they were told when they went through the resort entrance with ADRs just like I was.

Resorts (for guests visiting for dining reservations/tours, etc.)
  • If you are visiting for dining reservations or to tour, etc., you can park up to 3 hours for free
  • Valet $33/day (free for guests with a handicap placard)
This was from WDW Prep School website.

I have no doubt that someone was given that information when they went through the resort entrance (the bullet points make it look more official), just as others here have reported that they were not given a time limit. We visit Disney two or three times a year and frequently dine at the resort restaurants (including monorail resorts and Boardwalk), and we have never been told about a 3 hour limit. Maybe the difference is that we visit at off-times when parking is not at a premium. I honestly don't think it's a case of Disney not enforcing its "rules" or cast members just doing whatever they want. Disney seems to adjust its practices as needed to suit its business needs and most likely communicates that to cast members on an on-going basis. That's what makes it so hard to advise others on what will happen if they dine at a resort restaurant and then want to leave their car there for some time. If the OP goes in a few weeks and asks, I would be interested in hearing the answer.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that someone was given that information when they went through the resort entrance (the bullet points make it look more official), just as others here have reported that they were not given a time limit. We visit Disney two or three times a year and frequently dine at the resort restaurants (including monorail resorts and Boardwalk), and we have never been told about a 3 hour limit. Maybe the difference is that we visit at off-times when parking is not at a premium. I honestly don't think it's a case of Disney not enforcing its "rules" or cast members just doing whatever they want. Disney seems to adjust its practices as needed to suit its business needs and most likely communicates that to cast members on an on-going basis. That's what makes it so hard to advise others on what will happen if they dine at a resort restaurant and then want to leave their car there for some time. If the OP goes in a few weeks and asks, I would be interested in hearing the answer.

This makes a lot of sense. One thing I want to add (and I don't think it is being done anymore), but back when I was staying off-site, I dined often at the resorts: Boma, Sanaa, The Wave, Artist's Point, etc. Always had my car. On one occasion, I specifically remember going to brunch at the Cape May Breakfast Buffet at the Beach Club. The CM who let me through the gates, actually gave me a paper placard to display on my dash and it had an expiration time.

I think it's likely that only some resorts, that might get the serious offenders do/did this. These would be the resorts where access to the parks is going to be a strategy for some people. I mean, I stayed at the Contemporary last year and the droves of people going to Chef Mickey's for breakfast is impressive. I imagine that if half of them parked at the Contemporary all day to hit the MK after their meal; well, the Contemporary parking lot might have a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter