• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Passport office \expired

TammyLynn33

DIS Veteran
Here’s a question .. I assume no passports are being processed now ? We have an August trip booked and both big kids passports have expired. DD has pics and everything ready to go . DS just turned 18 which I wanted to wait for as dealing with custody papers is a nightmare .
is Costco doing passport pics ? I have no idea I haven’t been brave enough to venture in ..
I’m assuming I’ll drive to Toronto once they open would be safest ?
Anyone in similar position ?

There was another thread about passports that might help you:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/anyone-have-passports-expiring.3798847/page-2#post-61772320
As for photos within Costco, I haven't checked, but the site says they are only doing photos to be mailed to you (aka submit on website, get photos back a few weeks later via mail). So possibly no passport photos.

You might check if Shoppers can still do them. I don't know if they will. If not, you can go on the government site and get the specs to do them yourself. You don't have to have them professionally done. In fact, one wonders why no one's come up with an app for that.

I took mine before at Walmart years ago. It’s better to call to check if the service is still available now.

Here’s a question .. I assume no passports are being processed now ? We have an August trip booked and both big kids passports have expired. DD has pics and everything ready to go . DS just turned 18 which I wanted to wait for as dealing with custody papers is a nightmare .
is Costco doing passport pics ? I have no idea I haven’t been brave enough to venture in ..
Why drive to Toronto. The main passport office is in Ottawa. Shorter drive, less traffic and free parking. It's not even in the downtown core anymore. Easy to get to on the road from Kingston area.

Suggest the OP check passport services at the government website, canada.ca From my read, the only available passport service these days is for an urgent passport application. It also appears that neither the Service Canada nor the Passport Offices are open.

You are correct that other than urgent passports no passports are being issued right now for people inside Canada.

See https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...ices/coronavirus-covid19/passport.html#canada

Passport services in Canada

You can’t get passport services at Service Canada offices, including passport services offices, until further notice.

If you already submitted an application, we’ll process it when service returns to normal.

If you need to travel urgently

You can get passport services in Canada if you have a valid reason to travel urgently.

Urgent travel reasons include if you’re travelling
  • for a medical reason because you have a serious illness
  • because of the serious illness or death of someone you know
  • because you’ll have financial problems from the loss of a job or business
  • to support an essential service
  • for humanitarian reasons
    • You need a letter from your organization that lists the humanitarian reasons.
The loss of airfare or other travel expenses is not a reason for urgent travel.

END QUOTE

Finally, this is the Walmart Canada passport photos page. They have a list of stores that can do passport photos. I don't know if this list is CURRENT or their normal list. But you could use it as a starting point and find a store near you that is on the list and then call them and ask if they are still doing them.

Also, for Canadian passports, you have to have them taken by a commercial photographer or studio,

"Our requirements for passport photos are different from those in the United States and other countries. Photos for Canadian passports must be taken in person by a commercial photographer or studio. They must also comply with all of our photo requirements. If they don’t, we will reject your application. " (see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/photos.html )

SW

There was another thread about passports that might help you:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/anyone-have-passports-expiring.3798847/page-2#post-61772320
As for photos within Costco, I haven't checked, but the site says they are only doing photos to be mailed to you (aka submit on website, get photos back a few weeks later via mail). So possibly no passport photos.

You might check if Shoppers can still do them. I don't know if they will. If not, you can go on the government site and get the specs to do them yourself. You don't have to have them professionally done. In fact, one wonders why no one's come up with an app for that.
By law in Canada you HAVE to have professional photos for passports.https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/photos.html

Make sure you keep the receipts when you do get the passports done. I've had pictures from Walmart and Loblaws rejected before (maybe 1 every 4 pics, but I've got 5 people in the house), and that receipt should get you a free retake or refund if needed.

Aside: when I was helping my MiL renew her UK passport, I discovered that they allow digital photos, and that they don't have to be professional ones. She got them done professionally regardless, so I can't speak of how well the diy process goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter