Pasta Recipe Thread

I have been on a cavatelli and broccoli kick lately. It is really good, easy and cheap.

***Peas can also be subbed for the broccoli and you could also use regular pasta to change this up a bit.

1 # cavatelli
2 broccoli crowns, chopped to desired size
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 - 3/4 cup reserved cooking water from cavatelli
2 tbs butter
salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
+/- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
grated parmesan cheese

Cook cavatelli according to package, reserve some cooking water and drain.

While the cavatelli is cooking, prepare the sauce:

1. In a frying pan, heat olive oil and saute garlic over medium heat for about 2 minutes.

2. Add broccoli and saute that for about 5 minutes.

3. Add broth and salt pepper and crushed red pepper and simmer on low for about 10 minutes.

4. Add about a 1/2 cup of cooking water and butter...stir till butter melts and taste and re - season if necessary.

5. Toss broccoli mixture with cavatelli and toss in cheese. If it is not moist enough add more reserved cooking water or a touch of olive oil.

6. Serve.

This is my son's favorite:

Sausage, Shells and Peas

6 italian sausage links, I use hot and sweet.
1 # medium pasta shells, the ones that are about an inch
16 oz tomato sauce
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 bay leaves
crushed red pepper
1 TBS Adobo
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
olive oil
1 tbs butter
grated cheese

Parboil the sausage for 20 minutes. Cool slightly and cut into coin shapes.

In a sauce pan, saute sausage until slightly browned. Add broth, sauce, bay leaves, pepper and adobo.

Simmer for about 20 minutes.

Cook pasta and drain.

Add butter and peas to the sauce, simmer another 5 - 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves.

Toss pasta with some of the sauce and cheese. When serving, add more sauce and cheese to the top of the pasta.

Love all the pasta receipts. My DH & I enjoy pasta meals in the fall. It's nice to have some new ones. The only one I won't make is the one with peanut butter. Dislike peanut butter.

I've got a lovely one with sausage and butternut squash - I'll post when I get home:goodvibes

This recipe was posted on the What's for Dinner thread a couple years ago. I made it as an appetizer this past Thanksgiving and everyone LOVED it. It is very rich so its great as a starter or side dish.

Creamy Pumpkin Pasta

Ingredients
1 lb penne
1 pkg. cream cheese, cubed
1⁄2 cup(s) parmesan, grated
1⁄2 cup(s) butter
1⁄2 cup(s) milk
1 cup(s) canned pumpkin
1⁄2 tsp chili powder
nutmeg to taste
Instructions
Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, place cream cheese, parmesan, butter, and milk in large saucepan; cook on low heat until cream cheese is melted, stirring frequently. Add pumpkin and spices; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.

Add pasta, toss lightly. Serve garnished with cheese and parsley, if desired.

Do you think I could substitue Butternut Squash for Pumpkin?
because my garden is full of Butternut sqaush and I'm looking or ideas
for using them. thanks

for using them. thanks

I do not see why not. Just cook and puree and then use it for the recipe. The sauce may be thinner but it will be fine.

I've got a lovely one with sausage and butternut squash - I'll post when I get home:goodvibes

Would love this one!

for using them. thanks

I do not see why not. Just cook and puree and then use it for the recipe. The sauce may be thinner but it will be fine.

Ooooh! I would definitely try it with the Butternut Squash, if I had it. You might add a little brown sugar in to spike up the sweetness, as pumpkin is sweeter.

I was going to make the Creamy Pumpkin pasta last nite but I left my coupon for I Can't Believe It's Not Butter at home. Going back for it today.

A TIP for making anything with pumpkin is: Do NOT boil or overheat pumpkin. It loses flavor. I noticed this when I was making a pumpkin soup. It tasted wonderful right after I added in the can of pumpkin & it was heating up. 3 minutes later as I was adjusting the spices, the flavor was nearly gone. :confused:

I checked the reviews on allrecipes.com for it, and some reviewers also said there was no flavor, while others said that it was the most flavorful pumpkin soup they ever had. :confused3 The only difference I could figure out when I made it was that the pumpkin hadn't been exposed to the heat for very long the first time I tasted it. :scratchin

So I remade the soup a week later, kept it at a very low heat, heated melted and all the other ingredients first before adding in the pumpkin. I kept tasting it, and turned it off as soon as the pumpkin was just heated through. The soup was wonderful! :love:

Butternut Sausage Pasta recipe sa promised - you could probably freeze this topped with bechemal as a pasta bake:thumbsup2

Butternut sausage pasta (4 normal or 2 greedy servings)
1 medium butternut squash (about 500-750g)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 pk good sausages (6-8), skins removed
40g parmesan, finely grated
150ml ½ fat crème fraiche
2 tbsp olive oil
150-200g dried fusilli pasta
2 tbsp fresh chopped sage (or 2 tsp dried)
salt and black pepper to taste

In a large frying pan on medium heat cook sausages until browned, about 7 mins, stirring frequently until broken up (if not using a non-stick pan you may need the olive oil). Remove to drain on kitchen paper using a slotted spoon.
Peel and finely chop the onion, add to the sausage fat and fry on a low heat for about 3 mins until soft. Meanwhile halve squash, discard seeds, peel and dice into ½” chunks. Add squash to pan with salt, pepper and chopped sage, stir well. Cover and cook for about 10 mins or until the squash is soft.
Cook pasta in boiling salted water about 10 mins or until done to taste. Drain well then toss in rinsed pan with a knob of butter. Add sausage and crème fraiche to squash and stir over a low heat until warmed through. Stir in ½ the parmesan.
Stir the pasta through the sauce and pile onto plates, served topped with the remaining parmesan and a green salad or other green vegetable.

Creamy Pumpkin Pasta

Ingredients
1 lb penne
1 pkg. cream cheese, cubed
1⁄2 cup(s) parmesan, grated
1⁄2 cup(s) butter
1⁄2 cup(s) milk
1 cup(s) canned pumpkin
1⁄2 tsp chili powder
nutmeg to taste

Oops! I made this last night and wasn't reading the amounts of ingredients correctly. :blush: I accidentally put in 1 whole 15oz. can of the pumpkin in instead of 8oz. :eek:

I kind of thought it was odd when I was staring at a pumpkin pudding instead of a creamy sauce. :confused:

That much pumpkin in it also competed with the parmesan cheese. I think the sauce is probably really an Alfredo sauce with a hint of pumpkin. What I got, I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a savory or sweet pumpkin sauce.

All was not lost though. I looked on the web at what spices go in other pumpkin sauces and added some pinches of sage, ginger, cinnamon & a tablespoon of brown sugar. I watered it down and turned it into a creamy pumpkin cheese soup that actually wasn't bad. :rotfl:

I'll have to try the real recipe another time. :)

Oops! I made this last night and wasn't reading the amounts of ingredients correctly. :blush: I accidentally put in 1 whole 15oz. can of the pumpkin in instead of 8oz. :eek:

That much pumpkin in it also competed with the parmesan cheese. I think the sauce is probably really an Alfredo sauce with a hint of pumpkin. What I got, I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a savory or sweet pumpkin sauce.

All was not lost though. I looked on the web at what spices go in other pumpkin sauces and added some pinches of sage, ginger, cinnamon & a tablespoon of brown sugar. I watered it down and turned it into a creamy pumpkin cheese soup that actually wasn't bad. :rotfl:

I am sorry about your oops...but glad you found another way to use it. Yes, it is like an alfredo with a hint of pumpkin (its a very thick sauce). I hope you enjoy enjoy it when you do make it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter