• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paying Annual Dues at WDW

Twilight Terror

DIS Veteran
Hello all,

Very random question approaching... for the first time this millennium ;) will be at WDW over Xmas when Annual Dues are due. We are international DVC members so we normally get charged additional international transaction fees. We normally have a currency card that can be loaded with foreign money commission and fee free, but can only be used for physical purchases abroad, not online. So, since we will be on site, does anyone know if we can go to DVC at a SSR and just physically pay dues in person, so for one year we avoid the additional charges?

Thanks

I can't answer your question, but I'm from the UK & opened a US bank account to pay dues monthly & transfer money to it which doesn't incur the fees.

I can't answer your question, but I'm from the UK & opened a US bank account to pay dues monthly & transfer money to it which doesn't incur the fees.

I don’t know how that works. We regularly have to send money to our UK account from Australia, and even with bank transfers we have to pay fees, so that option is no different from just paying it once a year on CC. :confused:

Not answering your question directly, but if the goal is to avoid foreign currency conversion fees, you can purchase Disney GCs while you are in the US and use that to pay for your dues online (if you can't pay in person). You can consolidate your GC balances up to $1K each, so you might need more than 1 depending on how big your contract(s) is/are.

LAX

Not answering your question directly, but if the goal is to avoid foreign currency conversion fees, you can purchase Disney GCs while you are in the US and use that to pay for your dues online (if you can't pay in person). You can consolidate your GC balances up to $1K each, so you might need more than 1 depending on how big your contract(s) is/are.

LAX

That is an interesting idea! Had not thought about doing it that way, that could work for next year as hoping for September visit. I think for this trip though, to save the stress of sorting that out whilst on vacation, we will either pay in person if an option (already have plans to visit SSR), or just pay before we leave if not.

The Disney Vacation Club offices are right outside your resort. I passed last week and it’s a large stand alone building, easy access. I wonder if they can’t take it?

The Disney Vacation Club offices are right outside your resort. I passed last week and it’s a large stand alone building, easy access. I wonder if they can’t take it?
I thought member accounting would actually be located in DVC’s Celebration office?

I thought member accounting would actually be located in DVC’s Celebration office?

I'm not sure where we would be able to go - hence why asking. I get the feeling it will be online/over the phone only, but it's worth asking to see if there is an alternative. But we also have a trip to Celebration planned to visit friends, and the yummy chocolate ice cream :thumbsup2, so if we need to go there to do it, we can as well :bitelip:

Hello all,

Very random question approaching... for the first time this millennium ;) will be at WDW over Xmas when Annual Dues are due. We are international DVC members so we normally get charged additional international transaction fees. We normally have a currency card that can be loaded with foreign money commission and fee free, but can only be used for physical purchases abroad, not online. So, since we will be on site, does anyone know if we can go to DVC at a SSR and just physically pay dues in person, so for one year we avoid the additional charges?

Thanks
I pay my dues in a lump sum with a credit card. Due to a recent trip overseas, I signed up for a new credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. (Disney VISA does charge them, BTW, so I decided not to use it overseas ).

Can you get a credit card in the UK that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees and then use that to pay your dues?

I apologize if I am not understanding your situation or how the fees work for those who do not live in the U.S.

Can you get a credit card in the UK that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees and then use that to pay your dues?

I apologize if I am not understanding your situation or how the fees work for those who do not live in the U.S.

Maybe in the UK, but not in Australia, that I am aware of. We have global currency cards, which you can use abroad to make purchases, which do not charge overseas transaction fees, but it cannot be used online, hence the issue. Online payments are debit or credit card only and incur fees, whereas global currency is in person, overseas, with no charge. We want to try and pay using the global currency (i.e. in person) to avoid those charges.

I wouldn’t be surprised if online /over the phone is the only way, as it requires less man power and processing power than in person, so I’m not sure it’s going to be an option, but you don’t know until you ask :)

I agree with the Disney gift card suggestion. You can buy them at your resort or most of the stores in the parks, etc. Then you can do it online or by the phone, while back in your room in the morning before heading out, on the bus, or at night before bed, while in line, whenever is convenient to you. So easy. No hassle in the middle of your vacation. And to answer your original question, I don't think there is any way to "do it in person". You may waste valuable vacation time trying, as so many people (CM and people in general) who don't know the answer to the question, give misinformation. Good luck. Sorry it costs you more to just pay your dues.

That is an interesting idea! Had not thought about doing it that way, that could work for next year as hoping for September visit. I think for this trip though, to save the stress of sorting that out whilst on vacation, we will either pay in person if an option (already have plans to visit SSR), or just pay before we leave if not.

Unless there has been a change there is no place you can pay the dues onsite.

Since Annual dues are not due until January 15th and not past due until Feb 14th I'd do the GC purchase when you visit over Christmas and pay it online after you get home if you don't want to do it while here. No reason to take time on vacation to do it but no reason to not do the GC's this year either.

I'm being a little lazy here but can I ask how you went about opening a US account. I've paid my dues every January over the phone or on line and not given it much thought but with the dreadful exchange rate at the moment I'd like to look at paying it monthly.

I don’t know how that works. We regularly have to send money to our UK account from Australia, and even with bank transfers we have to pay fees, so that option is no different from just paying it once a year on CC. :confused:

I use XE money transfer & there is no fee for transferring money, you can also set an alert for a decent rate, there is a fee if I transfer direct from my bank.

I'm being a little lazy here but can I ask how you went about opening a US account. I've paid my dues every January over the phone or on line and not given it much thought but with the dreadful exchange rate at the moment I'd like to look at paying it monthly.
You have to open an account while you are over there, I have a Suntrust account & there used to be a branch opposite Disney Springs but the nearest is Celebration now. I just needed my passport & went back a few days after and collected my account card. You need to keep $500 in you account for no fees.

If you are from UK just get a Post Office or Halifax credit card. There are no fees and you get the proper exchange rate, not some crappy tourist rate.
In fact I hardly take any cash with me to USA, maybe $500 for a couple of weeks. I have both Post Office and Halifax cards, in case one got lost etc. Putting all spending on those saves me a lot of cash compared to changing money.
No surprises then I have my dues set up just to be paid on the card automatically when payment is due.
I'm not sure why anyone would go to the trouble of setting up bank accounts etc, unless I suppose you are not eligible for a credit card.

I would email member services and ask your question about using your card while at WDW to avoid the fees. I live an the US and I used to pay my dues in a lump some via check, but that is a little different. THe front desk would take the check and issue you a receipt, then send the check to DVC via internal company mail.

If you can’t oay in person, the gift card route is terrific.

Since Annual dues are not due until January 15th and not past due until Feb 14th I'd do the GC purchase when you visit over Christmas and pay it online after you get home if you don't want to do it while here. No reason to take time on vacation to do it but no reason to not do the GC's this year either.

Agreed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter