• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Peeve: Where the !@#$% is the model number?!

WillCAD

Where there's a Will there's a way
Lots of people ask me questions about their digital cameras. Lots of people come into this very board and ask questions about their digital cameras. And many of those questions start with, "I have The Kodak EasyShare..." or "I have The Fuji FinePix..."

Of course, there are at least 20 different models of Kodak EasyShare camera, and at least 20 different models of Fuji FinePix camera.

I used to get annoyed that people didn't know what model camera they owned. How can you buy something without knowing something as basic as the model number?

But after a while I realized, "Those cameras don't have the model number on them! And they often come with a manual that's written for multiple models! How the !@#$% are the people who buy these things supposed to get support if they can't find the model number?! Telepathy? Divine intervention?

Ugh. It's frustrating, because putting the model number on a camera would actually help the companies reduce tech support call time - instead of hunting for a model number or serial number in microscopic print inside the battery compartment, the caller could readily identify the camera to the tech, thus shortening the call. Ditto for people asking em questions or posting questions on the boards.

Is it vanity? Have we become so shallow a society that a camera with the model number written on the front is considered too ugly to sell? Or is there some other neffarious purpose to it, like forcing those with problems to go out and buy a whole new camera, because getting support is impossible without knowing the model number? Or is it simple stupidity, because the camera manufacturers don't realize that the model number is an important piece of information?

What's next, car manufacturers leaving the name off the car?

"What're you driving these days, Bob?"

"Oh, it's some kind of Ford."

"Which one?"

"I don't know. I'd have to pop the hood and remove the air filter to read the model and serial number sticker."

"Cool. On my Chevy you have to actually drop the engine out to see the sticker. You've got easy access, Bob!"

WillCAD said:
........What's next, car manufacturers leaving the name off the car?........[/i]
LOL, Will. I have oftentimes come up on various strange looking cars at stoplights and such, look over to try and see what it is, and leave the light with a :confused3, no logo or name in sight, LOL.

:confused3

They have model numbers on them. Somewhere on the body if not right on the front.

I think it's that people just don't know what it is because they might not have the camera right there to look at or they didn't buy it.

The model number can almost always be found on the "manufacturer's plate" on the bottom or side of the camera. The same plate where they put the UL, FCC, etc. info plus the serial number.

WillCAD said:
But after a while I realized, "Those cameras don't have the model number on them! And they often come with a manual that's written for multiple models! How the !@#$% are the people who buy these things supposed to get support if they can't find the model number?! Telepathy? Divine intervention?
[/i]

Nope, just look at the sticker (usually) located near the tripod thread. :goodvibes

Maybe it depends on the manufacturer but I have 3 digital cameras here and they are all very plainly marked on the front what model they are.

Will, maybe most of them use lesser-known-brand cameras. From what comes to mind I remember the following:

Canon, Olympus, Nikon, Minolta, Sony: Always on the front plate facing the object
Fuji: either front plate or the lens barrel
Kodak: bottom plate with the serial number

I have no recollection on Panasonic, JVC, Samsung (have only used their studio-level video cameras and the model numbers are always on the outer side of the camera body (where the tape well is located)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter