• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Perks when staying offsite?

disneykins

DIS Veteran
We haven't stayed offsite since we bought DVC 20 years ago so we have a question. Staying at a friends place in Kissimee in August for 2 weeks. Are there any perks or discounts we will be able to take advantage of?

Thanks,
Tony

You can still use your membership to get dining discounts and things like that that are tied to membership.

You won't get things that are tied to an on site stay like free parking, EMH. Those aren't DVC perks but available to all.

You can't go to The Top of the World Lounge or pool hop.

Thanks Vicki, What about theme park tickets? Anything?

DVC doesn't have a discount on tickets. APs, yes, there is a special price. But not tickets. And the ap rate isn't dependent on you staying onsite. Order then online, or the phone, or get them in person, just have your DVC info/card.

Another benefit gor members not tied to a stay on points is the 10% discount on merchandise almost everywhere.

If you have an ap then parking is covered. But all discounts should still be the same. No dining plan, but tiw still works.

No pool hopping, no Top of the World Lounge. DVC discounts would be available.

To my understanding you can go to the Top of the World without staying there. I recently stayed at BLT and asked them if I could come out and enjoy the lounge with out staying on property (I live in the area) and they said yes as long as I had my DVC member card on my. And I could bring guest. I haven't tried it yet bit I plan on it soon.

To my understanding you can go to the Top of the World without staying there. I recently stayed at BLT and asked them if I could come out and enjoy the lounge with out staying on property (I live in the area) and they said yes as long as I had my DVC member card on my. And I could bring guest. I haven't tried it yet bit I plan on it soon.

Officially, you have to be staying at a WDW resort to use TOTW. Not necessarily on points. With magic bands now, it would probably be hard for them to tell.

Officially, you have to be staying at a WDW resort to use TOTW. Not necessarily on points. With magic bands now, it would probably be hard for them to tell.

Using a handheld scanner, they can scan your MagicBand and see if you have a Disney Resort reservation or not. This is what they are doing for EMH.

Using a handheld scanner, they can scan your MagicBand and see if you have a Disney Resort reservation or not. This is what they are doing for EMH.

Are they using a handheld scanner at TOWL now? I know they CAN, but I didn't know they are. I'm staying there in a week, so I'll report back when we're there. I'm willing to bet they WILL have one on the the 3rd and the 4th during the blackout dates...We look forward to the fireworks up there on the 3rd.

Makes me wonder if the special bands for things such as MVMCP or MNSSHP will be a thing of the past. A CM could walk through a crowd with a device that shows someone nearby does not have the correct ticket to still be in the park.

In regards to some comments regarding magic bands, just wanted to chime in to say that last week during emh at magic kingdom they had handheld scanners and scanned them before allowing guests to get in the line for rides. The functionality of the scanners was spotty though. But I did see one family turned away at a ride because they were not staying on property. They were told that they were welcome to walk around the park and enjoy the shops but just could not ride anything.

Makes me wonder if the special bands for things such as MVMCP or MNSSHP will be a thing of the past.
I doubt they will eliminate the party specific wristbands.
A CM could walk through a crowd with a device that shows someone nearby does not have the correct ticket to still be in the park.
Those scanners don't read the RFID admission cards used by those that don't have a MagicBand.

I doubt they will eliminate the party specific wristbands. Those scanners don't read the RFID admission cards used by those that don't have a MagicBand.
I suppose it's faster to just look at a wrist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter