Personal Experiences with campsites needed!

YangYang

Mouseketeer
We are currently planning a trip to Ft. Wilderness for the week of Thanksgiving. This will be our fourth camping trip. The last time was April 2002. When we arrived that time (at about 9 pm), we were given a site that our camper would not fit in - it was too short, there was no room for the slide and because it was in a curve and right across from the trash bins, impossible to back into. We had informed CRO when we made the reservations about the size of our camper and that it had both an awning and a slide - in fact, this was indicated on our confirmation. There were still many open sites, so we went back to the desk and told them. We had to insist that they give us another site, and actually had to become rather rude! I think I finally told them that we would camp in the parking lot if they didn't find us a place! Okay, so here's my question - have any of you had a problem like this? Also, are there any preferred campsites that you are aware of that would not be big enough for a 37.5 ft camper with a SuperSlide?

Well, I waited to see if anyone had a direct answer to your question; as none have come forward, I'll jump in.

Towing a pop up we have never had a problem with the amount of space given, but have been assigned sites we thought were less than ideal. In these cases the FW CM have always been more than accomidating in helping us find a site we liked.

We had to insist that they give us another site, and actually had to become rather rude! I think I finally told them that we would camp in the parking lot if they didn't find us a place!

To be honest in my trips there I have never felt I had to become rude. Asking to speak with a supervisor and discussing the issue with them has always worked, not just at FW but at most businesses.

We usually never have a problem swiching sites, we find one we like and call up front to see if its available, if it is they let us switch. One time during a late check in for us the site assigned was in the 900 loop, it was not working for us, tried to switch but nothing else available, it was pouring down rain - street was literally about 7-10 inches deep of water in the loop, we did minimum set up and cashed it for the night, found a site more to our liking the next morning. There are some sites that are just impossible for some rigs to get into - why they assign these to people with large equipment is beyond me, they have a book up front that list every site and the dimensions.

Sorry they gave you hard time about switching, we have noticed that over recent time (Last Year or so) the friendliness has dimished by some cast members, this is unfortunate as most are very helpful - just a small number can certainly make the rest look bad.

We usually have a list of sites we like, and try and get one from our list, usually works.

We have camped at Ft. Wilderness 8 times in the following items:
pop-up, 22 ft trailer, 25 ft trailer, 26 ft trailer, 30 ft motorhome. We have never had to switch sites because the one they assigned us was too small or did not meet our needs. Of course, we have not had any slide-outs until this year. We are going with a 33 ft motorhome with 2 slide-outs. I hope the pixie dust continues to do its thing!

We have only had a problem once with a campsite. Last trip, we were given one which was impossible to get into mainly because it was directly across from the comfort station. A quick phone call to the front desk got us reassigned to a more appropriate site. My suggestion would be:

1. Get there a little earlier. Always hard to back in at night, not to mention I am pretty tired after driving and try to get anyplace early enough so that I can set up in the daylight.

2. Save yourself some time and steps - next time if you have to get a new site, use the courtesy phone at the nearest comfort station.

:)

SORRY TO HERE YOU'VE HAD SITE PROBLEMS. WE'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. I HAVE HEARD OF OTHERS GOING IN AND COMPLAINING ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO GET THEIR CAMPERS INTO THE SITE ASIGNED.

Sorry to hear you had a rough time with your site. But here are some suggestions for future reference.

Request a specific loop. We have a large RV with a slide & awning so this has become a must. We usually have them note it on the resv and then fax them a few days before our arrival. Went in Feb and got the loop we wanted but the site was too sm. So called the FD and asked about other sites nearby, unfortunatly we ended up going to a different loop. But the site was great. We were fortunate to be there when it was not a holiday weekend and we were there early. If you stay in the preferred sites, 700 has the longest sites, 400 is not bad either.
For full hook up 1200/1300 and some in the clover leaf area (1600-1900) also have larger sites.

Will let you in on a little secret. Each FD CM has a book that has loop maps with codes that say how long the pad is, accommodations for tents, awning and slides. If you should be assigned to a site that cannot accomadate you equip go to the nearest comfort station house phone, dial the FD and ask to speak to Room Assignment. They are the best at juggling assignments and ultimately that is who the clerk will have to talk to especially on busy weekends. On holidays I know they try to pre assign as many resv as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter