Personal Feelings?

DisneyExplorer

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

I'm a DVC member at Saratoga Springs and really like the resortand went to Vero Beach and was disappointed, i know it's quite a general question but i was just curious to find out what people felt about the other resorts at WDW?

thanx!

d.

And I'd like to hear your DVC experience at Saratoga Springs, as my daughter and son-in-law are seriously considering buying in there.

I think choosing a resort is all based on personal feelings. I love CSR as do many on the boards but it also has its haters. I don't care for POFQ but many love it. That can be said for ever resort, restaurant and ride at WDW or any vacation destination. We all choose what we like base on personal feeling.

It's so hard to say what people will like. For me, I love the BWV but I don't like the BCV. I'm not sure why, but I just didn't. ;) I love OKW, but many people don't care for it. My husband loves VWL, but for me it was just so-so.

Looking at the Deluxe resorts it's the same way. I love the YC, but not so much the BC. I love the Poly, but not the CR. I love AKL, but not the WL. There doesn't seem to be a reason, it's all just personal taste. :) That is why you have to try EVERY resort at least once before you can know. We've stayed at almost all of them. :thumbsup2

We own at the BWV, and it's by far our favorite. We used to own BCV as well, and never felt that was "home."

We loved Vero for what it is. It is not the same type of vacation as WDW.

SSR was too far removed from the action for us, I think we'd feel the same about OKW. We've stayed at WL, but not VWL.WL was Ok, but nothing to write home about.

Anne

Everyone has different tastes. Thank goodness there are so many different resorts.
I for one cant wait to stay at the new AKL villas! :thumbsup2

OKW is our home resort. We bought resale and didnt really care what resort it was. In hindsight I would rather have had BWV or BCV just because we really love that location. Also we dont usually rent a car and those resorts are easier to get around in.

Never stayed at HH, VB or VWL.

I think choosing a resort is all based on personal feelings. I love CSR as do many on the boards but it also has its haters. I don't care for POFQ but many love it. That can be said for ever resort, restaurant and ride at WDW or any vacation destination. We all choose what we like base on personal feeling.

Absolutely!

I thought I would love BWV and didn't
I thought I would hate VWL and loved it

That is what makes DVC so great - something for everyone!

We bought SSR more for the extra years than for the resort. Having said that, I do love SSR. I've stayed there twice and both stays couldn't have been better. Then again, even when the weather was bad, we've never had a bad DVC vacation. We've stayed at SSR, OKW, BCV & VWL. We're gonna shoot for VB & BWV this year. I can't see having a bad stay at either. But I'll feel free to update if the result is not what I expect.

in response to MeMom, i am wheelchair bound and i think SS is very roomy. This is the same for the whole resort which i can see as a negative for some, the resort is more like a town. Lilolvr makes a very important point, its vry much a personal thing. I have only been to SS and VB, so its hard to pick unless you experience it yourself.

hope that helps

d.

was disappointed in VB too - like my beaches with white sand and nice waves... gulf.

HH was different but too far from the ocean.

you can always buy a different timeshares in the places you really love.
several of us have done that.

SSR is a lovely resort. but it is too formal for my taste. I like laid back and relaxed - so I love OKW.

don't like BWV for the same type of reason - plus the atmosphere (to me anyway) is more like a city.

love VWL - the atmosphere is as close to the mountains as you are going to find in Florida.

We own at SSR & OKW, we love all the resorts at disney. We have stayed at VB & HH, didn't like HH that much, VB nice and quiet with beach close. Would go back to any of the resorts. We stay at disney about 6 to 8 times per year (live 80 miles from disney) and stay at BW with BWV, never get tire of that view. Howard Johnson restraunts had 28 flavors of ice cream, a taste for everyone. Each resort has something different to suit all.

SSR is a lovely resort. but it is too formal for my taste. I like laid back and relaxed - so I love OKW.

Too formal? am I missing something? I find SSR to be almost as laid back as OKW. I think the two are very similar.

in response to MeMom, i am wheelchair bound and i think SS is very roomy. This is the same for the whole resort which i can see as a negative for some, the resort is more like a town. Lilolvr makes a very important point, its vry much a personal thing. I have only been to SS and VB, so its hard to pick unless you experience it yourself.
hope that helps
d.
For the wheelchair-bound Disney lover (a category that includes my 9 yr old son), I can understand why you might not enjoy VB as much as SSR. The much newer SSR was built to accommodate our mobility needs, while the design of an older resort like VB (as well as OKW) did not include as much thought about folks with mobility impairments (note OKW's lack of elevators in most buildings). The Inn Rooms at VB are tricky with a bulky wheelchair, which is why they have tried to put us in corner rooms when we have stayed in the Inn portion of VB; the 1BR and 2BR units have plenty of roll around room for those of us on wheels. I personally like the zero-depth entry pools at SSR and AKL since DS can roll right into the pool in a water wheelchair, and we don't have to carry a slippery 75 lb 9 yr old in and out of the water; he loves the brief freedom from the tyrrany of gravity that he gets in the pool.

Going back to your original query, be careful when asking a question like this because some folks on the board are very sensitive about criticisms of their beloved home resort. We own at BWV and SSR, but have stayed only at BWV, VB, VWL and BCV (never at SSR, though some day we will). We all love our BWV home, DW adores VB and I enjoy it (but not a mucgh as she does), I love VWL while DW is just OK with it and DD love BCV, while DW and I found it just OK; I am looking forward to the opening of AKV in a couple of years, since everyone in the family adores AKL. Different strokes for different folks. We rented out some of our points to a colleague and her extended family to stay at SSR, and they enjoyed it so much that she and her father both bought on the spot. I'm afraid you and your family are just going to have to try the all out and make your own decisions ;) (a process I'm sure you will enjoy).

Here are my thoughts on the various Disney Resorts

Monorail Resorts (GF, PR, and CR) - We haven't stayed at any of these. If they do a DVC at CR it wouldn't interest me.
Dixie Landings - One of our all time favorite resorts, first we ever stayed at, and Yes, I'll always call it Dixie Landings
PO - Never stayed at the PO part of that resort, but I don't like that theming and amenities.
BC - Another of our favorites, but its gotten a little expensive these days
BCV - Only visited and liked it, but I hear its always booked and may be difficult to get dates unless you are booking way in advance, which we never do.
BW - Nice Resort, but not our preferred place. Just stayed at BWV with a BW view and it was nice.
AKL - I really really like this resort when you can wake up and have a Giraffe eating outside your window. the AKV announcement and drawings are interesting. Downside its so far from the rest of the resorts and parks.
WL - Only stayed there once and didn't get a good room assignment, it was facing the WLV construction before they opened.
AS - Nice place, but too crowded and noisy for our tastes
OKW - Huge place, but I do enjoy it over there.
SSR - Haven't been over there yet, but its in a Difficult Location
CS - I kind of liked it the couple of times we had to stay there.
CB - Haven't stayed there
PC - Haven't stayed there

We prefer Epcot area of the property, so OKW, BCV, and BWV would be our preferred Home Resorts.

I love VB for the Beach Resort vacation and I love BWV for the Disney Vacation.

BCV is okay, but it feels like you are out in the back with no scenery.

I haven't been to any other DVC but will be trying the AK in the future.

Well, this started on the resorts boards and asked about WDW resorts in general.

So:

We love, love, love the Polynesian. It is beautiful, has the best location of all IOO and has large rooms with views of beautiful grounds or Seven Seas Lagoon and the castle.

We also enjoy GF. Lots of good restaurants as well as the rest of the monorail circuit restaurants.

We like visiting CR for meals but if we want highrise, Chicago is close. Same with WL.....if I want rustic, I drive a few hours North.

OKW has delightful, huge rooms with nice views but a dearth of restaurant choices.

SSR doesn't interest us because of its location, building style and size. BWV as well as BWI don't appeal at all becasue we hate the atmosphere of the BW. Obviously, the very same thing others enjoy about those resorts. The decor does look nice in pictures though. Parking and the elevator situation are also negatives for us.

AKL is nice for a short stay.

Y&BC have a nice location but the rooms are smaller than those on the monorail.

We love BCV. Nice rooms, great location, close parking and the amenities of Y&BC but with a quiet atmosphere we enjoy.

Very personal indeed but it is great that there is such variety for all of us.

For us I feel that sometimes it is about what kind of vacation that we are looking for. That's why DVC is so terrific.

We've stayed at BCV, BWV, SSR, OKW and HHI. VWL hopefully in May.

We've done BWV and never left the boardwalk area. Done SSR and rarely left the area. I could see doing that at every one of the resorts. I love to hang out and do nothing.

1) I love OKW because it is so incredibly peaceful and seems like "Florida". And those 1 and 2 bedroom balconies.

2) Loved SSR for the proximity to DD, food selection, great workout facilities and often wonderful views.

3) HHI. I don't know how to say this. But honestly sometimes I daydream about it. There is really something in that area that speaks to my soul. I could have sat on that balcony and listened to those trees for hours. Also, the beach house is gorgeous and I didn't mind the separate locations. Would like longer hours for eating options right at the resort. So many terrific restaurants so close; however, at times on vacation I don't want to deal with the "outside world".

4) BWV. Always dreamed about buying there. And did. So special to us. It's just grand and lovely. Would love more CS possibilities. Fantastic views even some SV.

5) BCV. My thoughts. A tad overrated for me. Still loved my stay. Loved SAB. Was in there for hours many days. Loved the marketplace. Loved how it's tucked back in. But I guess b/c it's so loved I just thought, "okay". Plus, we had a fanastic room (5th floor with upper fireworks) but despite that other DVCs have better views.

Can't wait to stay at VWL. Fantastic location. Love the CR/FW/WL triangle and lake area. Terrific CS. Probably would have been a "home" but my partner refuses to go into "that cave". I vetoed her for May though so we'll see. But it's a studio and we've stayed in many one bedrooms so might not be a good comparison. VB can't wait either. Soon.

Well I guess I'm relatively easy to please and love food.

This may come as shock to many as I've beeen critical of DVC at times.

I think all of the DVC Resorts are very good. I also LOVE VB!!!!!!!!! Really the only DVC Resort we don't care for is HH. Even HH is a good resort just not our choice for a HH vacation.

My advice is try them all, develop your favorites and stick to those.

What excatly did you not like about VB? It is on the beach, has some of the best CM's we've encountered, has sit down (2) and poolside dining, tons of activities, a lake for fishing accross the road, tennis, basketbal court, sing a long campfires at night, etc. It is really the best of DVC for our families needs and wants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter